Thread: Is the Game Boy being forgotten?

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default Is the Game Boy being forgotten?

Just something I noticed recently.... Gameboy games seem to not have aftermarket availability (there's no Switch online library of them, for example), and whenever I see reviewers cover retro consoles I barely ever hear about the GB.

What got me really thinking was, recently I heard music in a review that sounded really familiar and asked people on a gaming group if they knew it, and nobody recognized it, but then later I found it... and it was from freaking Donkey Kong. And it's like.... wasn't that game a huge freaking deal? (These were all people my own age and they later specifically mentioned having played the Gameboy DK, BTW). Like, if a game like the famous GB remake of Donkey Kong is being forgotten, what hope does the rest of the library have?

(Link's Awakening is kind of the only one that still gets any love, it seems... which, of course, it would have to be a game I personally don't care much about...)

But yeah, am I just hanging in the wrong circles or does it seem like people are slowly forgetting the Gameboy (including the Gameboy Advance)?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Just something I noticed recently.... Gameboy games seem to not have aftermarket availability (there's no Switch online library of them, for example), and whenever I see reviewers cover retro consoles I barely ever hear about the GB.

What got me really thinking was, recently I heard music in a review that sounded really familiar and asked people on a gaming group if they knew it, and nobody recognized it, but then later I found it... and it was from freaking Donkey Kong. And it's like.... wasn't that game a huge freaking deal? (These were all people my own age and they later specifically mentioned having played the Gameboy DK, BTW). Like, if a game like the famous GB remake of Donkey Kong is being forgotten, what hope does the rest of the library have?

(Link's Awakening is kind of the only one that still gets any love, it seems... which, of course, it would have to be a game I personally don't care much about...)

But yeah, am I just hanging in the wrong circles or does it seem like people are slowly forgetting the Gameboy (including the Gameboy Advance)?
    Well Pokemon R/B/Y continue to be some of the best selling games at any retro game store I go to, so there's that at least. I would generally agree that portable games from the 90s don't get much love these days sadly despite both the Game Boy and Game Gear having a combined vast library with lots of great games. Unfortunately I think these systems have a reputation for basically just having watered down versions of their console counterparts. Think of Streets of Rage for Game Gear or Mortal Kombat for Game Boy.

I still bust out the GBA SP now and then to play DMG games but generally they are competing against games that are full color, deeper, better graphics. I would really like to play through all the Mega Man and Castlevania games on the system though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

The Virtual Console list on 3DS has a bunch of Game Boy games, so Nintendo hasn’t completely ignored it. The Switch’s time for GB games will come, I’m sure. Seems like classic Nintendo console games arriving on the es hop for Switch are on a slow drip feed.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I am sure itll get added to the Nintendo Online thing with the SNES and NES games. They probably prefer the business model of continually charging you X amount per month rather than letting you download individual games and keeping them forever