Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default Just bought a 3DO

Along with Crash N Burn. It's actually halfway decent, IMO at least. Always loved the long boxes for the games. The controller actually has some weight to it and feels pretty solid. The real task will be trying to find some good exclusives. It seems like most of the good games got ported over to the PS1 or theyre just 3DO versions of PC games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Which system did you get?

The controllers did feel good but on some models the diagonals didn't always want to work. I found out by loosening the corner screws by the D-Pad (if memory serves) can fix the problem as the controller is too tight. I think the Japanese model controllers fix this.

Good exclusives? Eh...I can think of a few but there wasn't anything that made me want to keep my 3DO. I was in a "must try all the stuff I couldn't when I was younger" phase and I bought, played and sold many games systems over a period of years. I do miss Twisted as that was just a bizarre experience. AD&D Slayer and Way of the Warrior were a couple others I'd play regularly. Though if you are a Sewer Shark fan, don't play the 3DO version-the sound is off and the control isn't as tight as it is on the Sega CD.

Edit: I looked up good games on the system and two games that sound interesting are Snow Job and Immercenary. The first uses FMV but it's a point-and-click. By the way it sounds it may be a nod to the later Tex Murphy games on PC (Under a Killing Moon). The second sounds like an action-adventure trip into a virtual world, ala Cyberpunk.
    Last edited by YoshiM; 08-08-2021 at 10:40 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I got the FZ-1. I'm a big fan of the point and click games a la Myst, so maybe Ill find something I like. I did see a copy of Twisted which sounds interesting but I passed on it

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I've been playing a lot of 3DO lately and enjoying it. You have to take the mindset of checking out an interesting era in gaming, rather than looking to be blown away by AAA production values and butter-smooth frame rates. If you approach it with an open mind, as a kind of video game archeologist, it's fun.

I wouldn't worry too much about whether games are exclusive or not. Sometimes the PS1 and/or Saturn ports are actually downgrades, or have non-obvious issues with the gameplay. (And sometimes they're upgrades, obviously.)

Immercenary was the first 3DO game I beat and it was a blast. It's impressive how it handles streaming the game world from disc -- things fill in dynamically and very smoothly.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    I've been playing a lot of 3DO lately and enjoying it. You have to take the mindset of checking out an interesting era in gaming, rather than looking to be blown away by AAA production values and butter-smooth frame rates. If you approach it with an open mind, as a kind of video game archeologist, it's fun.

I wouldn't worry too much about whether games are exclusive or not. Sometimes the PS1 and/or Saturn ports are actually downgrades, or have non-obvious issues with the gameplay. (And sometimes they're upgrades, obviously.)

Immercenary was the first 3DO game I beat and it was a blast. It's impressive how it handles streaming the game world from disc -- things fill in dynamically and very smoothly.
    just ordered it. looks awesome

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I got rid of my 3DO system and collection about 10 years ago when I was downsizing. I kinda miss it to be honest. If you like flight sims Wing Commander 3 Heart of the Tiger is awesome(Better than the PS1 version IMO) Super Wing Commander is a system exclusive and another good one. If you like FPS I recommend Wolfenstein 3D, loved it. Avoid the 3DO Doom at all costs! It's almost unplayable. Already mentioned was Twisted which I enjoyed. Other obscure titles I'd recommend are Strahl(like Dragon's Lair) and Icebreaker. And who can forget the adult games? lol