Thread: Langrisser, aka Warsong

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default Langrisser, aka Warsong

So this post deals a bit with a Switch port, but I also talk about the Genesis one and this is originally a Genesis game, so I'm not sure where it goes... classic or modern.

So right now, Langrisser I and II Collection is on sale on Switch.

For a long time I wasn't interested, for three reasons. Reason one, I never beat Fire Emblem (NES) or Mario + Rabbids, so I didn't see the need for yet another strategy game. Reason two, the collection was $49.99 (it's $24.99 during the current sale).

Reason three though was a "me" thing.

Simply put... I want a game made in 1991 to LOOK and SOUND like it was from 1991. But all the screenshots I saw of Langrisser I and II showed it got the full modern makeover, with characters having that modern anime look which is nowhere near as pleasing as late 80s early 90s, and the stage maps being rendered in this weird pseudo-realistic thing...

But I noticed there was a free demo, and I decided to give it a whirl.

..... Son of a gun, it has an option for pixel art game graphics and 1991-style character designs!

Mind you, this option basically turns it into more "modern game trying to look retro" rather than being authentic... but the effort is appreciated nonetheless! Especially since I get to fight that one guy who looks like an evil Super Saiyan (I think his name is like, Xeld or something).

And on top of that, the game is fun... when you battle there's this animation of all these soldiers going into this chaotic melee, sorta like if Advance Wars got really caffeinated.

So out of curiosity, I booted up a (less than legit) copy of the Sega Genesis version, which was called Warsong here in the states.

Right out of the gate.... well, clearly the Switch version is based on a later port or something, because its immediately very different not just in aesthetic but even the layout of the map. The first mission is for Prince Ledin (or Prince Garrett, or Prince Humperdink, or whatever) to escape... on the Switch, there's a clear "get to this area to succeed" indicator. But on the Sega Genesis... I'll admit, I'm not sure what counts as Garrett "escaping" the enemy.

Also, what happens if you actually just kill the enemy? In both versions it definitely seems like you could do that.

Regardless, this seems like a case where if I wind up being an enthusiast, I might wanna pick up a legit Warsong (if anything just to have a working save function) because it seems like its got enough different to be a new experience to someone who first picked up a sword on the Switch.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I believe winning by conquest is doable there yeah, just hard to pull off. Don't remember if the game acknowledges this or waits for you to escape anyway though.

I think the NS port is based on the PS1/SAT remake version. It was also on PCE CD and PC so could be one of those.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

In the Genesis version, how exactly DO you escape? Do you have to get to the edge of the map or something?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    In the Genesis version, how exactly DO you escape? Do you have to get to the edge of the map or something?
    In the Genesis version you have to get to the lower right side of the map to escape.
    A few months ago I finished Langrisser I on the Switch and enjoyed it a lot. The missions were very similar to the ones on Warsong.