Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Analogue Super NT and Mega SG restocked today

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default Analogue Super NT and Mega SG restocked today

Last I looked, they're still available. Get em while you can!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Yeah i got the e-mail from them on the restock but i'm to broke at the moment to buy any console.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Are these like, particularly good clone console/emulation boxes or something? I'm just not understanding why a restock would be big news unless these are like super-amazing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Are these like, particularly good clone console/emulation boxes or something? I'm just not understanding why a restock would be big news unless these are like super-amazing.
    There fpga based which is hardware emulation and not software like what you would see in a retron 5.Restock is a big issue,demand is high and sellout quickly but really analogue isn't good when it comes to having enough stock period.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tron 2.0 For This Useful Post:

gbpxl (08-10-2021)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I got the consoles yesterday. havent tried the Mega yet. the Super is awesome. I already jailbroke it to play ROMs, though Ive noticed a few dont work. There is zero latency and the scanlines look great, though in 1080p they look like shit. Im sure therell be a firmware update for that.

In a way I feel it'd kind of sad because I feel it's made physical cartridgs obsolete. Though really, flash carts have made them obsolete for years now. I still like to play 5he game from the cartridge itself if I have the option, but 5o be honest there really is no discernable difference between that and just playing the ROM.

Kevin Horton did an amazing job with this console. I am also happy to see there isn't a death grip on the cartridge connector. The controller port has a good grip as well, better than the SNES. My only criticism is the worthless USB power cord and tiny HDMI cable that were included. And navigating the GUI could be a little more intuitive.

still, Im happy with it. theres no better way to play a SNES game on a modern display.
    Last edited by gbpxl; 08-28-2021 at 10:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

I'd heard the shipping and communication from Analogue was really poor but I didn't expect it to be as lacking as it was.
    Ordered the super NT as soon as it went on sale with advertised shipping by the end of the week.
    It didn't ship until 2 weeks later and that was the only email update I got after payment.
    The tracking link in their email didn't work. The copying the number to the FedEx page showed it was to be delivered on Monday.
    I checked again on Saturday and it showed end of day Monday delivery.
    So Monday came and went, no package, no emails.
    Today at work I thought about it, like what's going on - check tracking again and shows that it was delivered on Sunday. I'm so used to delivery confirmation emails from literally every other vendor or online retailer that I deal with so never occurred to me that it could have been delivered on a Sunday.
    But shit where was it?!... So I get home and there it is sitting on the neighbor's front porch. The shipping tag on the outside of the package lists exactly what it is, basically advertising that it's an expensive item. thankfully nobody took notice to it, and it didn't get stolen.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Tinkering around with the Super NT's aspect ratio, I am finding that the "correct" ratio seems to be 16:15, rather than 8:7. 256:240 would be the largest displayable area for a SNES game I am gathering, though I believe most games were 256:224

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

As someone who owns Analogue products, I definitely can't shit on the hardware they make. Everything of theirs I've ever put my hands on is a solid piece of hardware that does exactly what you want it to do (...ok, maybe the Sega CD support ain't so hot).

That being said though, I think a lot of the hype surrounding them is a bit undeserved; not for the fault of Analogue themselves but rather the hype of the retrogaming community. There's an incredible amount of FOMO generated by YouTube shelf queens who do more buying than they do playing. If FPGA hardware is an absolute requirement for your game playing enjoyment, you'd be a fool to invest in several hundred dollars worth of multiple hardware instances when you could get a catch-all setup like a Mister that does more for far less cost.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Well I prefer the look of the Super NT over the Mister for one thing. I also didnt want to buy something Id have to assemble or configure myself. I wanted something that is ready to go from the start. and the Mister doesnt play cartridges.

The preconfigured Mister is still a $300-400 machine IIRC. The Super NT and Mega SG are $190 each. so I wouldnt say the Mister is FAR less
    Last edited by gbpxl; 09-15-2021 at 05:30 PM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    Well I prefer the look of the Super NT over the Mister for one thing. I also didnt want to buy something Id have to assemble or configure myself. I wanted something that is ready to go from the start.
    Those are two perfectly valid reasons.

and the Mister doesnt play cartridges.
    This is perfectly valid too, but loses the majority of its appeal when the vast, vast majority of owners either run CFW to play ROMs or use a flash cartridge.

The preconfigured Mister is still a $300-400 machine IIRC. The Super NT and Mega SG are $190 each. so I wouldnt say the Mister is FAR less
    Add in the extra cost of a FPGA NES console and you're far above the Mister price point, which would also handle several more extra platforms without the need for any further purchases.

Keep in mind the Super NT and Mega SG are the same hardware internally, they could have easily put out a simple cartridge connector and had one system handle a dozen different formats, much like their up-and-coming handheld.

Again, I'm not shitting on Analogue's products or them as a company. It's just very easy for people to get hyped up and jump headfirst into buying something that might be overkill for their needs when a valid, more economical alternative exists.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    Those are two perfectly valid reasons.

This is perfectly valid too, but loses the majority of its appeal when the vast, vast majority of owners either run CFW to play ROMs or use a flash cartridge.

Add in the extra cost of a FPGA NES console and you're far above the Mister price point, which would also handle several more extra platforms without the need for any further purchases.

Keep in mind the Super NT and Mega SG are the same hardware internally, they could have easily put out a simple cartridge connector and had one system handle a dozen different formats, much like their up-and-coming handheld.

Again, I'm not shitting on Analogue's products or them as a company. It's just very easy for people to get hyped up and jump headfirst into buying something that might be overkill for their needs when a valid, more economical alternative exists.
    Well I jailbroke the Super on Day 1 so I could play ROMs, but the main appeal was for me to be able to play the cartridges. I also like that it has ports for original controllers. I don't know what the Mister has. I assume it has a USB port or two and I can use a USB to SNES adapter but it's more screwing around. I basically just wanted an SNES with an HDMI port.

that being said, I still do want a Mister because I can't see Analogue ever releasing a Vectrex, Coleco, 7800, etc and like you said, the concept of an all-in-one system is great. I dont have cartridges for those obscure systems and I wouldnt want 20 different consoles lying around. It has its place but I just like the console specific idea for the main three retro systems I am going to play- NES, SNES, Genesis. I plan on getting the Duo next. I like the idea of being able to use original media and the Duo plays it all. I guess thats the main appeal for me with those consoles

I question your assertion that the hardware is identical between the Super and the Mega. if theyre just trying to make an extra buck, whyd they pack an adapter with the Mega that can allow you to play Master System games? And whyd they make it so the Pocket can play 4 different systems instead of making you buy 4 different consoles? I would love an all in system that had different cartridge adapters for the dozens of different consoles out there but from what I gather, it's different technology
    Last edited by gbpxl; 09-16-2021 at 02:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    Everything of theirs I've ever put my hands on is a solid piece of hardware that does exactly what you want it to do (...ok, maybe the Sega CD support ain't so hot).
    What issues are there with SegaCD support?
    I've been wanting to get my region free MegaCD recapped to use it with my MegaSG. Am I going to be disappointed?

My primary interest with the Analogue products is that I can use original peripherals with them. Emulation doesn't cut it for me because it negates the original experience of playing the games with the original controllers.

I've got a great "Arcadian" 6-button stick I love using... I think I actually bought it from you Az!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by Koa Zo View Post
    What issues are there with SegaCD support?
    I've been wanting to get my region free MegaCD recapped to use it with my MegaSG. Am I going to be disappointed?
    There's a handful of CD games that have issues with the Mega SG, or at least they did at the time I tried them a year or so ago. At the time those particular games were problematic for a lot of people so it wasn't just my setup. The issues weren't present across the board but only with certain games paired with certain models of CD hardware (might work fine on a model 1 but hang on a mode 2, etc). Among those that were glitchy were Final Fight CD and Silpheed, which are my two favorite games on the system.

Maybe that's something they ironed out with newer firmware or maybe it won't be an issue for your particular games/setup, but it rained on my parade.

I've got a great "Arcadian" 6-button stick I love using... I think I actually bought it from you Az!
    A man with taste, I salute you

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I own both the NT Mini and Mega SG, and absolutely love both. No issues with either.

However, I've also done a lot of research into the MiSTER project, and it is the superior option UNLESS you want to use real cartridges, and save states are important to you. I believe the NES core on the Mister has save states, or is currently beta testing them. The Sega/Snes cores do not. Hence, my everdrives for these systems makes the Analogue more appealing to ME. Your use may vary....

I still plan on getting a Mister at some point.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    I question your assertion that the hardware is identical between the Super and the Mega. if theyre just trying to make an extra buck, whyd they pack an adapter with the Mega that can allow you to play Master System games? And whyd they make it so the Pocket can play 4 different systems instead of making you buy 4 different consoles?
    A quick link

The FPGA chip in the Super NT, Mega SG, and newer NT (not the original model) are the same. There's a big financial incentive to make individual systems for the 3 biggest heavy hitters. I'm not implying that's a slimy tactic, it's a sound decision from a business perspective.

As for their Mega SG adapters, these are things that already exist for original hardware and often work on even the shittiest of clone consoles. Knowing a good chunk of their customer base is going to run out and buy one of these adapters anyway they might as well get in on the action themselves.

I can't speak for the Pocket because I know nothing about the hardware, but I'm going to assume as a business model you'd sell a lot more Lynx or NGPC adapters (especially as a bundle) than you'd ever sell as individual systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Well the super nt mega sg are having a final run.
    https://twitter.com/analogue/status/...run-super-mega

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

of course they did this while i was at Portland Retro Gaming Convention

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

I wonder what their reason is for doing a "final" run? Obviously they move a lot of both units and the demand outweighs the supply. This is a product they could sell for quite some time and be a reliable revenue source.

I could understand wanting to generate preorder hype by saying it would be the last production run for the next year or something, but the last one ever? Seems odd unless you have something like a dual-purpose replacement in the works that would directly compete with an older product.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

i've noticed from the past when i got my NT Mini. after the final run they tend to come out with something else. so i think they are just keeping products to a manageable state

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    i've noticed from the past when i got my NT Mini. after the final run they tend to come out with something else. so i think they are just keeping products to a manageable state
    Most likely and probably so they can get more analogue pocket produced and they yet have to release there turbo duo clone.