Thread: GameCube Turns 20 Years Old

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default GameCube Turns 20 Years Old

Then versus now, some GameCube games are much more pricey today! And speaking of cost, those networking options for dial-up and broadband sure are expensive now!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I still have my launch GameCube from 2001, somehow it managed to survive multiple moves and garage sales for 20 years. My laser's going out on it though. had to adjust the strength on it. makes me wonder how long it will be before you can't play GameCube games just because the laser eventually will weaken too much to read games and cant be adjusted anymore.

no other system's launch blew me away like the GameCube did. Seeing Nintendo characters in realistic looking 3D games was amazing. Luigi's Mansion was the first game I played it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    makes me wonder how long it will be before you can't play GameCube games just because the laser eventually will weaken too much to read games and cant be adjusted anymore.
    Thankfully the early model Wii is backwards compatible, and there are millions upon millions of those things lying around!

I had no plans to get a Gamecube anywhere near launch. Then I saw Rogue Squadron II on a display kiosk at Toys r Us. I marveled at how realistic that looked and immediately made it my mission to obtain the system as soon as possible. I believe I finally landed one in November, naturally with the aforementioned Star Wars classic.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    Thankfully the early model Wii is backwards compatible, and there are millions upon millions of those things lying around!
    With a Wii you don't even need original discs to play the games, you just need the images. At least there will be options if disc drives no longer read discs anymore. The worst thing about bad disc drives is needing a boot disc for the Gameboy Advance Player on an actual Gamecube, that's really the main reason in using one over a Wii these days.

I still have my Gamecube but haven't used it much. Eventually I'll hook it up again and start playing those games more regularly. It's the last generation console I have actual interest in, while I have newer consoles I'm not really too interested in them.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Can also install the GC Loader without having to solder. Plays all the game ISO's.

Gamecube was a nice little system. Never super fond of the controller, and I largely ignored it for awhile while getting into Xbox. However, began collecting for it not long after they axed it for the Wii, and it's very enjoyable.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

All Wiis, even the stripped down Wii Mini, can play GC games. It has to do with the fact that the Wii is really just an evolved GameCube. Even the Wii U can play GC games (through Nintendont , of course) because the Wii U is an evolved Wii and still has the ability to play GC games.
    The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"......and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Gah...twenty years. I'm trying to remember what "killer app" drove me to get the GC, I can't remember. My friends and I chipped in to get one and then I got one for the first wife and I. I picked up Animal Crossing after a conversation or two (maybe even here, I can't recall) and soon after we got it, my ex got laid up with kidney stones that wiped her out. So for a week she was loaded on Vicodin and played AC and was hooked. I soon got hooked into it and then we set up another memory card so we could travel. That game definitely became the "killer app", giving the system the affectionate name of "Animal Crossing Cube".

I still have that game, complete and with the memory card containing our town. Months back I modded one of my Wii systems to accept an external hard drive (my original Wii couldn't drive the system but the one I bought used could-go figure). I transferred the data from the card to the system as a back up and saved it to my PC to run off Dolphin. I got some chills when I saw the four houses, with my ex's fish weather vane spinning on top. It felt like I was visiting a tomb when I walked in, seeing the tissue box she earned for getting a million bells in the bank, the furniture all tightly packed in the main room and the basement full of seasonal stuff she'd pull out on the holidays.

Even though the end was a loveless marriage along with a relationship full of mistakes on both sides, I don't destroy the house or the town. I can't. It's a place I'll bring our daughter to when I can peel her away from Roblox when she comes over. I'll have to fire this up this weekend when she's over.

Beyond that, I sunk a lot of time with Prince of Persia, which is IMO the best playing version out of the three systems. I also got baptized into the Resident Evil series by playing Number 4 but never played another again. I felt that Metroid Prime was an abomination until I actually sat down and made myself PLAY it and found it a helluva good time. Echoes didn't fare as well for me, maybe because I played it too soon after finishing the first MP. Super Mario Sunshine was a slap in the face to me after entering the 3D world with Super Mario 64.

Reading all the above, I should really get my second Wii U hackerized to see if I can get some good stable GC play on it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Pls remember?

NO PLAY!

ONLY REMEMBER!

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow. I haven't posted here in years and am happy that the forums are still here, lol. I still have my purple Cube and a healthy library for it. My playtime was definitely mostly consumed by years of playing PSO on it. Love Capcom's P.N.03 and both Baiten Kaitos 1 and 2. Incidentally, the Cube controller is my favorite one of any console. Years of constant PSO made me super comfortable with it, I guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

I'm just gonna leave this here....
    Name:  hbkprm.gif
Views: 187
Size:  117.8 KB
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

For a time such a underrated console while i sold mine years ago i still have a small collection of gc games.Anytime i want to play a gc title i just use the wii and nothing more.Still it's crazy how collectable gc has become the used market for it has gotten expensive.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I've recently begun going through Zelda: Four Swords on GCN with some folks from work. Wow - can't believe I've had this game for ~20 years (can't remember when it was released; got it new) and haven't played it. Having four GBAs attached to the system is such a neat feature - I wish they had used this more. Very unique experience that I presume you could only get today with four Switches - but even then that's a lot more expensive than the GBA was then. Wish they had more games that used this sort of dynamic, with individual + a collective screen to game on. What a great system...I know the Wii was a leap forward in some regards, but I can't help but feel that the GameCube was cut off in its prime.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I remember a time where I could find loads of GameCubes in thrift stores for $10 each. It seems like they're hard to come across second-hand now. I was at a game store a couple days ago and they had a trade-in GameCube that they hadn't even cleaned up yet and a customer bought it.

I still have a fairly large GameCube collection of games, it's strange to see dud games like Tube Slider going for more than I originally paid for it new. It's really difficult to come across any decent GC titles now without going on eBay.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Gah...twenty years. I'm trying to remember what "killer app" drove me to get the GC, I can't remember.
    There wasn't a killer app when I bought it. There was killer hardware, the Game Boy Player, although when I bought it EB Games actually still existed as a separate entity and had a deal going that included a free Nintendo game out of a select few and free Game Boy Player. So when I bought the GameCube, I also received the Game Boy Player and Wave Race Blue Storm.

Most of my time with the GameCube has been using the Game Boy Player which imo should have been a system seller on its own. I've always been hoping Nintendo would release a DS player and 3DS player because I like their portables way better than their consoles. The Switch is portable, but unlike the other portables, most of it's library isn't exclusive where everything 3DS and before just about was almost completely exclusive.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 06-21-2022 at 01:52 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

The killer app for me was Rogue Squadron 2. I got the Onyx GC at launch and later got the matching GB player. And Metroid Prime is most certainly a killer app as well.

It’s a shame that Wave Race wasn’t as good as the N64 version; they’d botched the craft physics. And I was hoping that I’d see the next addition to Pilot Wings.

I picked up a knock of Wave Bird controller from MicroCenter last year. It’s too bad that the WB didn’t have feedback.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 06-29-2022 at 12:49 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

I got my GameCube for my 11th birthday. I'm 29 now. And I got my GameCube in the middle of its life, December 25, 2003 to be exact. Because of the nature of human development, any console the GameCube's current age (introduced over 20 years ago, discontinued over 15 years ago) will always be classic, as even small children who played it late in its heyday are now adults.

Anyway, my favorite GameCube game has to be Super Smash Bros. Melee. I've tried playing other Smashes and Melee is my favorite to this day. The GameCube controller is just perfect for it, and the graphical style holds up extremely well to this day. NASCAR Thunder 2003 was another one I really liked, yes I know it was a cross-platform game but the GameCube version is the one I had.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

seeing posts like this makes me feel old

the gamecube was the second game system ii bought new after of high school. i got the poekmon XD GC console, played it with a few friends from high school who got one around the same time and then we all drifted apart from there. some for good reasons, others for not. because of this the game cube always kinda bummed me out. my pokemon XD gamecube is back in its box with probably less than 50 hours on it.

when ever i want to play any thing on it i grab a trashed black one i saved at a thrift store with a GBA adapter strapped to it, and i dont play games i had when i played with those people. even though it was from a not so great time in my life, i would always buy systems for $5 or $10 when i came across them. glad i did, made quite a bit of money and good trades with them.

i think i still have like 20 of them some where in a box? i dont know what i have or dont have any more. i'm trying to move on with life after a recent incident and everything is packed up still. trying to keep it all packed for a faster move.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

You're not old, I'm just the baby of the forum.

Sorry to hear that story!
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

New modchip using a Raspberry Pi Pico.

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"......and I'll look down, and whisper "no."