Thread: Playstation 3 turns 15 on November 17th

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Playstation 3 turns 15 on November 17th

Eternal Sonata, tales of graces F, Tales of Xillia 1 and 2, as well as Enchanted Arms were several of my favorites on ps3.

What about you?

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I do own a Playstation 3. Maybe I'll get around to playing a game on it to completion at some point. I did watch some Blurays on it a few times so that worked well.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, Gran Turismo 5, 3D Dot Game Heroes. Those were the only PS3 games I've ever played, and was thoroughly disappointed with them. There's nothing on the system I feel I really need to go out of my way to play. I was a big 360 guy during that generation. I didnt see much in PS3 exclusives I wanted to try

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Hey, sir! I happened to LIKE 3D DOT GAME HEROES!

HAVE AT YOU!

Also forgot to mention:

Fairy Fencer F, Fairytail Fights, Folklore, and Ar Tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel.
    Last edited by Highwind Dragoon; 10-06-2021 at 01:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Highlights for me were Daytona USA and Afterburner Climax. Also enjoyed Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Transformers: Devastation, Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, Blazblue: Calamity Trigger, and Mortal Kombat (9).

I have never owned a PS3. I was quite broke back then, so the above games are a sampling of what a friend had. I have since caught up with many of the multi-platform games of that era on PC, though there are quite a number of great games I've yet to play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've only owned a PS3 since January of last year. I was pretty impressed with the library it built up over its life. I never considered getting one while it was on the market, that $599 launch price left a bad taste in my mouth and I outright rejected the notion of buying one throughout that generation because of it. I found one in a used book store for $55, and it was finally at a price point that I could impulse buy one. Since then, I've collected over 500 games for it. And I mostly play Unreal Tournament III on it - it's my go-to game when getting off work and wanting to do some winding down without having to interact with anybody (I never play anything online). I wish I would have bought my first PS3 a year earlier, when the prices were cheap and COVID-19 plus the closing of the PS3 online store didn't make everybody rush out and buy up all the games and drive prices up to astronomical levels. I would still be able to find the King of Fighters games at every game store and for less than $20.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I wasn't a early adopter for the PS3 due to it's price and i didn't get console until halfway through it's life,by that point used or new it got cheaper.

My list for some of my most favorites on the console.
    3D Dot Heroes
    Demon's Souls
    Transformers War For Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron
    Dungeon&Dragons Chronicles of Mystara,i have both ways digital and the jpn physical release.
    Uncharted 1&2
    Castlevania Harmony of Despair
    Blaze Blue
    Ghostbusters The Video Game
    X-men the arcade game
    Simpsons the arcade game
    Dead Space
    Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 10-07-2021 at 03:49 AM.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still have mine and a very pared down, purged library for it. Mainly for me were the popular RPGs, the Turismos, all of the Codemasters rally games and of course, the Souls games. Gotta have Souls games lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I got my PS3 60GB model in the summer after the 1st price cut. I wanted the fully BC model before they had brought out the 80GB model.

I loved all of the Uncharted games, Killzone 2&3, The Last of Us, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Heavenly Sword and Resistance 2. I even put 240 Hours into Skyrim on the PS3, even though I’d owned a 360 Elite and a PC.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 12-14-2021 at 12:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I got my PS3 because it was pretty much agreed upon that it was the best Blu Ray player around. Oh and it plays games. I bought a used BC model from Gamestop but it got the yellow light o' death. Then I bought a new model and that served me for a few months before Metal Gear killed it. I sent it to Sony and got a refurb. Knock on wood, it's still kicking.

I played a bunch of different games for it-Mass Effect 2 and 3, Bioshock, Journey, Flower, Battlefield 1942, the Uncharted Series, Burnout Paradise, Minecraft, Heavy Rain (VERY cool concept) and probably more I can't think of. It's a solid system but I'm still not a fan of the PS controllers, though I put up with it. Another tick against the controllers is that the connector that bridges two boards on the inside is held together by pressure, which apparently makes it susceptible to corrosion and the weakening of the FOAM PADDING that's used to apply said pressure. My original controller seems to work fine but used ones I have acquired tend to flake out and getting a legit controller is harder than finding a unicorn snorting crushed Sweetarts.

One of my twins asked to play Little Big Planet, so maybe I'll get a chance to play some Transformers: Devastation.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I mainly use the PS3 to play PS2 and PS1 games. I gamed WAY more on the 360 that generation.

My PS3 favorites were 'The Last of Us', 'Super Stardust HD' and 'R•Type Dimensions', but again, I hadn't played many PS3 games.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Even though I've never played a Playstation 3 game, the console had in incredible impact on my game collecting hobby. It started when I was playing a Dark Souls game on my Xbox 360 and my controller started acting a bit wonky. I needed to get another one and I wanted it ASAP. Well, an Xbox 360 controller was fairly easy to find because I could still find new Microsoft Xbox 360 controllers and Windows/Xbox 360 dual compatible controllers at Walmart, Best Buy ect. Well, I decided then and there that I was never going to twiddle my thumbs waiting for a backup controller to arrive ever again. So I asked my self, how many controllers would last me the rest of my life? Mind you I still had over 550 Xbox 360 games I had yet to play. I thought considering my age that having at least 20 brand new controllers in reserve would spare me from ever worring about finding a replacement controller again. I sure as hell didn't want to fall back to buying some used worn out replacement controller at a flea market. New Xbox 360 controllers weren't cheap, so I would buy 3 or 4 at a time and as I was accumulating them I started thinking about the PS3. It's true that most of my PS3 games I already had for the Xbox 360, but there were 570 PS3 games I had yet to play as well. I might as well pick up 20 back up PS3 controllers too and that's when it hit me. NOBODY had any brand new official Sony PS3 controllers for sale, not Sony, not Amazon, not Best Buy, not Target, not Walmart, not Gamestop - I mean NOBODY. I freaked out. I was in disbelief that a console that only ended a year or two ago also ceased producing controllers for it. Of course I could find hundreds of "Official" PS3 controllers for sale on Ebay. And just about everyone of those sellers had feedback with customers screaming about fake PS3 controllers. The packaging looked real enough, but I had never touched a real PS3 controller, so how would I know. I looked on YouTube to help discern the difference and sure as shit it was full of videos about spotting fake PS3 controllers.
    Long story short I read everything I could on it and did the best I could buying 20 PS3 controllers on eBay I thought weren't fakes. But I've never used one, so who knows. I also researched 3rd party controllers and bought a dozen of those just in case.
    I swore I would NEVER let this experience happen again and now I faithfully buy every new official limited edition or color variant controller as they come out until I've hit my 20 in reserve mark.
    Last edited by Spartacus; 12-25-2021 at 06:18 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

PS3 is on the verge of classic. Another 2-3 years and it'll probably fall in the classic banner.

That being said, I always played more Xbox 360 than PS3. I got a PS3 at launch but never had a whole lot of games for it. Usually when I was playing PS3, it was GTA 5.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Welp, my trusty PS3 is no longer trusty. My step daughter got her fill of Little Big Planet, followed by a short sprint of PS1 Tarzan by one of the Noodle bros and then I got to play. I fired up Battlefield 1943 and my PS3 shut down. I tried Uncharted and before I got off the boat….shut down. Apparently there’s an overheating problem. I cleaned the system (and this was the first time I pulled the system apart-good learning experience) and put new thermal paste on the chips. Still no go.

Using some chamber of commerce “cash” Ingot as a gift, I bought a PS3 Slim. Sony’s instructions suck for doing a system transfer and the actual connection between the two consoles was hit and miss as there was no indication that it was working or not. I deactivated my console from my PSN account but it would not deregister the “video” side of the console. I had to log in via my phone and deactivate both my PS3 and my Vita for me to activate the new PS3.

After 2 1/2 hours, I went to bed after midnight knowing all was transferred and well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    After 2 1/2 hours, I went to bed after midnight knowing all was transferred and well.
    The simplicity of consoles over PCs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    The simplicity of consoles over PCs.
    The downside with consoles in that regard is you really don't get much in transparency on what's going on. I had a lot of false starts due to information that was not issued by Sony. I've never done a system transfer before, only a hard drive upgrade at a time where I didn't have a lot of stuff on the drive to begin with. They could have done things like switching off the network and media sharing automatically for the transfer to take place. Even then, things sat for a while without any indication as to what's going on. Even though my job deals with supporting tech and I'm used to having to be patient, this was a little unnerving, especially when I had some false starts at the beginning. In Sony's defense, this process was all designed years back before the idea of upgrades, transfers and the like really took off so it's a little understandable that the system is clunky.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    I've never done a system transfer before...
    My point is that with a console a person shouldn't need to deal with that crap at all. You replace a console the same way you would an NES, SNES, Genesis, Gameboy, or PS1. It should be easy and completely hassle free, that's why I would be using a console instead of a PC.

I am reminded of years ago when I redeemed a download code for an Xbox 360 game. Going by memory I tried downloading it for around 4 hours, then giving up and trying again on another day, when it downloaded pretty simply overall. Turns out that there was a network disruption with Microsoft which caused the problem. That's my only experience with downloading games, a hassle, and why I have no plans to bother downloading console games again. I never actually played through that game either as I didn't keep my 360 hooked up. Maybe I'll get back to it at some point.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WelcomeToTheNextLevel View Post
    PS3 is on the verge of classic. Another 2-3 years and it'll probably fall in the classic banner.

That being said, I always played more Xbox 360 than PS3. I got a PS3 at launch but never had a whole lot of games for it. Usually when I was playing PS3, it was GTA 5.
    I dont think anything newer than Xbox and GameCube will be considered "classic." Most people associate "classic/vintage" games with rudimentary graphics that can be distinguished easily from a photo or video of "real life." Graphics since the 360/PS3 days have plateaued a fair amount IMO (at least compared to the advances seen prior to that.) I dont think anyone will look at Halo Reach for the 360 in 2025 and think "classic gaming". but hey, would love to be proven wrong. i would hope that the last 2 generations of consoles dont just end up in landfills and that people still value them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I was at a game store today and a couple of guys came in and went to the PS3 section. Apparently one had just been given a PS3 and the other was advising him on what games were still online and which ones were solid games. Kind of nice that people are still discovering and enjoying the Playstation 3, well after the launch of the Playstation 5.