Thread: A docked switch question

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Default A docked switch question

i was just wondering if its possible to use a switch in docked mode with only a pro controller or something similar out of the box

the reason i ask is because i have a switch lite but when things settle down in my life i wanted to be able to play some games "console style" since some games dont do well portable. i was thinking of buying a broken but working switch, no joy cons or any thing and just use it with a dock i sourced on offer up (waiting for a response, $20 seems reasonable for a dock) and get a pro controller or some aftermarket controller because i think thats part of my problem. I dont like the joy cons, too small, and i thought a switch lite with a grip case would help but there are some games i have a hard time with again because its kinda small. Bloodstained as an example, i have a really hard time with but other games like animal crossing or any of the super mario games i dont have any problem, or any new problems. I say new problems because in SM 3d world i've always had a problem with the depth and under estimating where my character is in relation to some of the platforms, even happened on Wii U, although not as bad because of the bigger screen

any way, like i say i figured i'd get one with a broken screen or a bad battery or something but still works on a dock, maybe even gut it take the bad parts out and make it permanently console, maybe add some better cooling and i hear you can over clock some of these. so a tinker project as well as a cost saving measure.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Yep, this should be no problem.

I forget the exact method of pairing the pro controller, but even without it paired you could use it wired to bring up the pairing menu. Dongles to use wired or wireless controllers from other systems are dirt cheap as well, I definitely wish I had waited and bought one of those instead of an outrageously overpriced official pro controller.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

ok cool.

i managed to snag a switch with joycons from japan for about $65 before shipping, has a blue screen but if i squeeze it in the right spot i can get it to boot and i have a plan to get it working until i get my own place with a work station so i can nuke it with hot air and flux to make it work for good.
    I'm thinking i can liberate the motherboard and card slots and transplant them into the dock it self.
    If my friends 3d printer didnt get stolen then i might be able to design something to house it all in a smaller form factor

the reason i was asking if it would work with out was because most of the ones i was bidding on didnt come with any.