Thread: games you'd like to see redone or refreshed for the modern console

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Default games you'd like to see redone or refreshed for the modern console

i've been thinking about this one for a little bit and i know its come up before but it doesn't hurt to ask as time changes.

what games would you like to see redone/refreshed for modern consoles (PS5/Switch/PC/XB)?

i'd like to see ridge racer series re released and updated for the modern systems. if they can keep the controls the same and make the earlier games a little nicer looking but still arcadey. like RR through R4 or RV
    probably the same for air/ace combat, PS1 and PS2 updated. that one would be a little easier as i think you could share plane models between games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I'd love to see Ninja Golf on the Atari 7800 updated in 3D with multiple golf courses and missions. There's a Gizmondo game called Sticky Balls that I'd love to see ported to modern machines, it has great gameplay (although I never quite worked out how the foul system functioned) and needs to be seen by more people (there was briefly an iPhone version that was buggy and vanished from the iOS store years ago). I'd kind of like to see 3DO's Army Men games in a collection, remastered in HD. Futurecop: LAPD from the PS1, PC and Mac needs to be brought into the modern age. Phantasy Star Online I & II need upgrading for high definition.

I'll probably think of more later.
    Last edited by Steve W; 11-16-2022 at 08:34 PM. Reason: I misspelled "foul" becuz me all smart n' stuff.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

So I finally played PSO2. I don't have an Xbox One and I don't play games on PC, so I finally only played it earlier this year and it was like playing a bad imitation of PSO. Even Universe and the Portable games are far beyond what PSO2 is. It's not like the microtransactions held the game back as purchasing microtransactions are only cosmetic, it's that the game itself is just a cheap imitation.

So on the original Phantasy Star Online and PSU or Portable games you'd go through the areas which were somewhat procedurally generated and either doors or gates were locked until you killed all the enemies or you stepped on all the unlocks. Once you did so you were then able to progress until you got to the boss room. Quests were the same, you went through a portion of the stage, always required to kill each enemy. It's actually fairly simple on where to go because the game pretty much fed you the directions based on whatever you unlocked. Sometimes doors wouldn't be unlocked until you hit unlocks from multiple paths.

Phantasy Star Online 2 however plays differently. The whole linear areas are similar, but they're now aimless. You don't have to kill enemies, you can pretty much rush past every single one of them up to the boss. Except there are multiple paths that you can go and not all of them lead where you're supposed to go. As you go further in the areas get bigger and more aimless with multiple paths that lead to no where. Because your characters are so mobile and the enemies have slightly better AI than the original PSO, it's just a chore to play through.

New Genesis is even worse. New Genesis makes you more mobile and more powerful, but the game like many other games modern games feels the need to make the game open world. The game has you constantly going from point to point to point and completing missions at each point. I quit after finishing four or five areas and by areas I mean missions after the tutorial. This game feels more like going through the motions than your average Ubisoft garbage, and then once you get to a certain point the game wants you to upgrade your characters power to a certain point before you can progress again. You don't get weapon drops, or atleast I never did, you get meseta in New Genesis and then you buy whatever next weapon and then you upgrade it to increase your character's power level. If you don't have enough meseta then you go to these areas where a lot of enemies spawn and just kill them as quickly as powerful to get bonus exp and meseta. Everything about this game is a chore.

So I'd like to see a remaster of Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst. Throw in PSO Episode 3 to give all four episodes in a single collection(PSO Episode 3 is a sort of card battle game, light summons weapons, dark summons creatures.) I'd like it if they did a sort of Diablo 2 style thing. Now, not the whole online only bs, but the option to play the game with the original graphics or the updated graphics. The original PSO graphics hold up really well and a remaster would look beautiful with the style but the updates graphics would interest people who don't want the original games graphics, or who like the appearance of both.

I'd buy this collection day one.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

SMT Nocturne already got a remaster, a very poor remaster running at 30fps when it could have ran at 60fps also a very ugly looking motion blur which just made the graphics look smeary in certain areas when turning the screen.

I've said this before, but Ninja Theory's DmC Devil May Cry graphics look a lot like the style of SMT Nocturne so these graphics would have made for an amazing graphical update of SMT Nocturne. Would have been great if Sega got them to do a remake of the game before Microsoft bought them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

@Kopomogli Did you ever play PS Universe? I tried my best to get into it, but I ended up cancelling my sub some 3 or 4 months later. It just didn’t wow my like PSO.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 01-05-2023 at 04:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

i was thinking the other day, the first few Armored Core games could use a bit of a refresh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Since i been playing shining force-cd really the shining force series in general.Yeah the original is getting a remake but it will be just for mobile beside it's trailer makes it look like a cheap flash game.I rather at least,have the series rebooted for consoles instead.Sega has left this ip rot away for to long now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    Since i been playing shining force-cd really the shining force series in general.Yeah the original is getting a remake but it will be just for mobile beside it's trailer makes it look like a cheap flash game.I rather at least,have the series rebooted for consoles instead.Sega has left this ip rot away for to long now.
    Have you tried Shining Resonance Refrain? it's on the PS4, and a Japan-only version on the PS3. I bought the PS4 version, but since it was the first Shining game I'd ever played it seemed a bit lore-heavy for my liking. I'm not heavy into RPGs so I didn't play for more than a couple hours. Some RPGs I can just fall into for hours and hours (PSO on the Dreamcast and GameCube) but it has to have less complicated gameplay mechanics for me to get my hooks into it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    @Kopomogli Did you ever play PS Universe? I tried my best to get into it, but I ended up cancelling my sub some 3 or 4 months later. It just didn’t wow my like PSO.
    Sorry about the late reply, I didn't see this until now, but yes I've played PSU. I never played it online though. I also didn't like PSU as much until Phantasy Star Portable 2. PSP2 is essentially the PSU system, but for some reason I feel the game structure itself is a bit better. Maybe it's because the limitations of the PSP I liked it better, I dunno, but I did like it a lot better than the original PSU game though the core gameplay is mostly the same. It does add some functions like you can repeatedly mash attack or if you attack in intervals to make attacks more powerful but I don't know if it's even worth the damage or at this point I can't remember haven't played it in awhile.

I will say one thing about PSP2 though is that when you are playing the game, the hub area is much small. The PSU hub area was pretty big, definitely not PSO2 big but still big. The hub area in PSP2 was like a circle area with everything in that sort of small circle area and then the teleporter had its own room. More similar to PSO Episodes 1 and 2.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 02-10-2023 at 01:00 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

The list of classic games that could go for a refresh is almost endless. I wouldn't play it on a modern console as I don't own any...but if it came out for Steam, I'd be all over it.

The best examples would be ones where the interface was clunky and could be vastly improved. The original X-COM, for example, could be brilliant with some slightly better controls. Go back even earlier to the 1980s and you've got even more examples...especially older RPGs that relied on the keyboard. Console games didn't have as much of a problem here - the reliance on the controller lead to more usable games that can still be played today. I feel like most of the games I've seen on the CRPG Addict, for example, have tons of usability issues and could stand for a refresh (as well as healthy edits for length and grinding). The remake of The Bard's Tale trilogy really showed what could be done - it's the same game, it's just playable now...and enjoyable for what it is.

Second category would be games where the content is essentially unfinished or rushed. Prime candidate here would be Ultima 8 & 9. Feel like the whole Ultima series could stand to be re-done.

Third category would be games that just need a bit of a facelift: graphics + sound. What Nintendo did with "Link's Awakening" could also be done to Super Mario Land, the original Kirby, and other classics - even on a portable platform these were at the height of their genre...the limitations of the portable format made these tightly refined experiences.

The biggest problems for remakes are the early 3D games. Kind of feels like many of those focused on getting 3D graphics out at the expense of gameplay, and I'm not sure a lot of them are very fun in comparison to what came later. I suppose the same could be said of many of the early 2D platformers (ex: Lode Runner, Elevator Action, etc.)...not sure many of those really merit a remake either.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Have you tried Shining Resonance Refrain? it's on the PS4, and a Japan-only version on the PS3. I bought the PS4 version, but since it was the first Shining game I'd ever played it seemed a bit lore-heavy for my liking. I'm not heavy into RPGs so I didn't play for more than a couple hours. Some RPGs I can just fall into for hours and hours (PSO on the Dreamcast and GameCube) but it has to have less complicated gameplay mechanics for me to get my hooks into it.
    Shining Resonance Refrain is a action rpg and not a strategy rpg like shining force is.Beside when shining resonance refrain came out i remember it not being welcome by fans of the series.If only,camelot software planning could make another shining force for consoles but all they do now is sports titles for nintendo.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 02-22-2023 at 03:56 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Star Fox
    Solomon's Key
    Golvellius: Valley of Doom
    Panorama Cotton
    Quackshot
    Landstalker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

well i had to look up panorama cotton because i hadnt heard of it.
    it hasnt been redone but its apparently been re released:
    https://www.strictlylimitedgames.com...anorama-cotton