Thread: Pokemon Trading Card Game (GB / GBC)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Pokemon Trading Card Game (GB / GBC)

I just completed the main campaign of this Nintendo Game Boy / Color game. It's quite the good game! OK, so I found a typo ("us" instead of "use") and only sometimes can you use the down and up buttons to cycle the cards when reading the details, other times not. However, these quibbles aside, this card video game was quite fun and helped to teach me how to play the printed Pokemon Trading Card Game alongside the Windows / Mac / Android / iOS Pokemon Trading Card Game Online computer game. The game also includes extra post-campaign content should you wish to keep playing. Unfortunately, the Game Boy Printer and MP Card Pop modes were disabled for the 3DS Virtual Console deployment of the game. While I can understand the Printer option being disabled, the CP mode was the only way to get two CP-exclusive cards, so you can't 100% the game like originally. If they were going to disable that mode, then they should have at least changed the game's code so that a New Game would include the two cards to start.

That being said, the Japanese-only sequel, Pokemon Card GB2, was unofficially fan translated 100% to English, so if you like the first GB Pokemon card game, that option exists too. :-)

Have any of you played either the Game Boy game or the actual printed card game of PTCG?

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I had printed cards but never really played it much...sold 'em years ago. Just can't get into CCGs - too much of a money sink. Love card games, though - LCGs ("Living Card Games") where they release regular sets, you buy and get all of it without randomized packs...that's what I have to get into.

Now a GBC game where you're not limited by real-world money...that I might get into.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

I used to play the Pokémon TCG Game Boy games a ton with a friend when I was younger. The first game is great, the second fan-translated Here Comes Team Rocket is fantastic. During COVID I got back into the Pokemon TCG (the Wizards of the Coast sets) and made some decks and taught my wife how to play. Its actually quite a fun game if you create your own few sets of decks using cheap cards and don't get caught up in the constant competitive play and new sets. I highly recommend it. But the GBC games are the cheapest and easiest way to play.

The 3DS version would be the definitive version had they included the multiplayer feature that was included in the other Pokemon games for virtual console. Sadly they did not, so its sort of pointless in my opinion.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

i never played any pokemon card games on anything. i just got the e-reader cards from the TCG and checked out all the little things they added to the edges of the cards.
    i had a bunch until recently and i gave them all to a friends kid who was way into it, kinda regret that now

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The cheapest way to play, at least for a little while longer, is the PTCG online. Completely official and free to play and earn cards. It really only works on a desktop. Ive been playing it for years. They are about to sunset it sometime before summer and transition into what is a essentially a “free-to-play” mobile version. But for now you can still play PRCG Online

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    i never played any pokemon card games on anything. i just got the e-reader cards from the TCG and checked out all the little things they added to the edges of the cards.
    i had a bunch until recently and i gave them all to a friends kid who was way into it, kinda regret that now
    The TCG cards with e-Reader stuff on them didn't really do a whole lot...just bring up some stats on the Pokemon.

The e-Battle ones that integrated with Ruby and Sapphire, though - now THAT was really cool. New trainers, unique berries...it was great. Wish they'd done more with it...and wish they'd actually made Pokemon Colosseum hook up to the e-Reader like they did in Japan.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

i had a few where you needed multiple cards to get some sort of mini game off of them, some of them were more than just stats

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer View Post
    and wish they'd actually made Pokemon Colosseum hook up to the e-Reader like they did in Japan.
    Likely was considered not with the effort since the e-Reader was quickly considered a flop in North America and not even released to Europe/Australia.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Game Boy sequel is better, but that's not saying much. I wish they had continued into the DS & GBA era.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Always wanted to play the second one. There aren't many copies though. Might resort to emulating it eventually just to experience it.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Even almost 15 years ago when I was searching GBC games, I recall even loose carts of the second game were rather pricey (listing at $50+).

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I very specifically remember pre-ordering this game specifically for the promo card it came with. I set aside enough money to pay it off on release and then go around the corner to the card shop so as to buy another rare card or two. Was paying for the game, clerk told me they were having a launch special where the official guide would be half off if bought along with the game on release day. The guide also came with a promo card, so I got that instead of going to the card shop.

Games good. That last Chancey card is nearly impossible to get. Kept getting tripped out by Flying Pikachu.