Thread: Zelda tears of the kingdom thoughts?

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Default Zelda tears of the kingdom thoughts?

AKA The Legend of Zelda: Nuts and Bolts

at least thats the feeling i get, this game seems underwhelming to me. mildly interesting, might buy on sale (many) years down the road.
    the switch design for it is cool though, i managed to snag a irresponsible preorder for one earlier today, playable investment.

I just cant shake the nuts and bolts feeling i get seeing the trailer for it the other day, kinda seems... cheap

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I pre-ordered the Tears of the Kingdom Amiibo and console from Best Buy. I will cancel the console order if I can get one from Amazon though. Everything I get from Best Buy is usually covered in stickers and I worry about ruining the console box with them. But Amazon was not taking pre-orders yet and Best Buy was. I will order the Collector's version of the game, if I can find that too.
    I believe I have 4 or 5 Switch console's including a OLED version and have never opened one yet. The reviews! Those God Aweful reviews of Switch games with the low resolution graphics and stuttering frame rates keeps me at arms length. Someday, I'm sure. Someday.
    Of course I'm doing all of this because Zelda is a Nintendo icon and I am a bit of a shelf queen. As far as the game goes, it's been a long while since I've played a Zelda game, but I'm sure it won't be bad. I'm guessing it will be family friendly too. SHEESH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

if your talking about those labels with the red borders you get at BB then lately tthe ones i have been getting have been coming off pretty cleanly, easily lately so you might be good there.
    of course different stores might use different stickers too

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

My last Best Buy video game purchase had a white mailing sticker sending it to my store and a red label identifying the purchaser. I get offended that my purchase means so little to them that they can do that to something I've already paid for. So Amazon went live with the OLED The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Edition Console thursday morning. I hesitantly waited until I was home from work to purchase one, wondering if they be sold out before I got home. Chided myself when it was available later that evening, bought one, and then canceled the Best Buy pre-order. I felt kinda foolish that evening that I had allowed myself FOMO from a retailer as large as Amazon. Damned if that thing wasn't already out of stock today! These supply chain hi-jinks are getting real tiresome. Best Buy still has them available to pre-order including the one I canceled. I would really like to get the Collector's edition of the game with the enamel pins. And I would really like to get the Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom pro controller too. I've been collecting all the limited edition pro controllers and from what I have read, the joy-con controllers are defective time bombs right out of the box. The Zelda one sure look nice though.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

So just a question about these special edition consoles, do they always stay atleast the price of or more than the price of the launch price even long after the death of the system? Nintendo console special editions? Because I want to play games on a Switch as I do have a lot of games, but I haven't purchased a Switch because I was waiting for the inevitable revision that Nintendo is always known for. Now that we're this far into the systems life I kind of feel it'd be worthless to get a Switch but if this will stay high priced even after the Switch is gone, then I can atleast feel like I won't be throwing my money away and get most if not all of it back.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

its been my experience that zelda themed systems hold their value or appreciate and usually dont have a long production run. I dont see why the switch version would be any different.

examples
    https://www.pricecharting.com/game/g...boy-advance-sp
    https://www.pricecharting.com/game/n...imited-edition
    https://www.pricecharting.com/game/w...-waker-edition
    https://www.pricecharting.com/game/n...shield-edition
    https://www.pricecharting.com/game/n...hyrule-edition

they all vary but i dont see any in this list, as complete, with a average going price less than what MSRP new was. Frankly if your buying new there wouldnt be any reason to consider loose prices in this list but even some of them are over what they were new

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I haven't purchased a Switch because I was waiting for the inevitable revision that Nintendo is always known for. Now that we're this far into the systems life I kind of feel it'd be worthless to get a Switch but if this will stay high priced even after the Switch is gone, then I can atleast feel like I won't be throwing my money away and get most if not all of it back.
    The inevitable revision came and went with the Switch Lite and OLED model. A Switch Pro is highly unlikely now. Has Nintendo ever done a Pro console? A rumor has claimed the next Nintendo system may not be backwards compatible. If you have a Switch library, just buy a Switch. A plain Jane version works just as well as a limited edition.

As for Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, I have resigned myself that eBay scalpers may be the only way to get a collectors edition of the game now. I am praying for a restock for the Pro controller. Amazon has the Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom console in stock one day, then out of stock the next. Crazy, but at least I won't miss out on that. I've read that Tears of the Kingdom was the most anticipated game of 2023. Because it's Nintendo, it won't surprise me to hear it was Game of the Year too.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

This thread is the first I've heard of this new Zelda game. I've never been excited for any of the fully 3D Zeldas, especially the more recent post Gamecube ones, so I'm not really excited for this one either. I do want to play Wind Waker for the Gamecube at some point so I will give that game a fair shot.

Just looking up the trailers for this now and I'm not that impressed, it just doesn't appeal to me. Feels like any generic 3D action game, and I don't like breakable weapons in Zelda games. Just seems tedious. Also a bit weird how the boat in the demo is powered by batteries, were batteries used in Zelda games previously? I really don't remember that mechanic from earlier games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

yea thats where i get the meh feeling from.

tloz nuts and bolts seems like a more fitting name but the "building" that happens in it seems way outa place, as did the strange motorcycle horse thing from breath of the wild.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Honestly at this point I'm looking forward to the memes more than anything else.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I haven't played Breath of the Wild, but one thing I can see as this being an issue is that the limitations of Breath of the Wild actually made these aspects of the game better. It's like playing a game that is open but segmented to one that is truly open world. When you play a game like The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, Shadow of the Colossus, Dark Souls, etc, you might find some way to access areas that seemed impossible or shortcuts from one area, where most open world games just feel open, empty, and aimless, like there's nothing preventing you from going anywhere.

The limitations in Breath of the Wild allowed people to do some things that most people would never have even thought of. When you now make it possible and you're just easily given the tools to many of these things that you really had to go out of your way to find out how to do it. It just seems worse. So that's why I compare it to the experience of an open game that gives you set limitations to an open world game. Limitations in games often make the games better, removing those restrictions just take away a lot of the enjoyment as there's now a sense of aimlessness. Although maybe that's just me, everyone seems to love Minecraft and see tons of value in it where I pretty much see none.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I'm not outright saying this is going to be a bad game, but I just don't see it as a game I personally would want to play. I will say that at one point the gameplay of Zelda titles felt new and unique, look at how many years after the original or LTTP other games were called "Zelda clones". These new mechanics like crafting aren't new as they've been in other games for many years, mostly survival horror titles. Things like breakable items or constantly needing batteries are in tons of cheap indie horror titles, and usually feel poorly implemented compared to better games that give flashlights or cameras that just outright work without constantly searching for batteries. Skill trees also don't feel right in a Zelda game, I generally don't like this mechanic either in games. It feels like now Zelda is starting to follow trends from other games rather than start them.

Items breaking and needing constant replacement feels like a cheap way to extend gameplay hours rather than a limitation to add difficulty, much like the kinstones in Minish Cap. This modern Zelda is also more focused on combat than dungeons and puzzle solving, I liked Zelda games when they were closer to adventure games.

The main reason I disliked seeing the battery icon in this new Zelda game is because it just felt out of place in a fantasy setting, it's like if Lord of the Rings had Gandalf use an LED Maglite instead of his illuminated staff. Magic or pure mechanical things I can accept, batteries just feel too far a stretch for me in this setting with elves. Changing the icon to any other countdown timer would be an improvement.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Never thought I'd live to see this day. The little twerp who cuts down peoples flower gardens to steal rupees is acknowledged as having the highest rated video game EVER, instantly rendering all other video games in human history as also rans and nothing burgers.

ALL HAIL THE BIG N!

https://gamerant.com/zelda-tears-of-...letter_popup=1

The list of true believers is embedded in the article.

Question: Do we have any say in this?
    Answer: No

Anyone still sitting on the fence about buying THE BEST GAME EVER's Limited Edition Switch console might consider if now is the cheapest this thing will ever be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I'm about 20 minutes in as that was all I had time for. It looks a bit more detailed than BotW as it wasn't a dual console release like its predecessor was. I don't want to spoil the opening sequence but I chuckled at how TotK played a trope from another Nintendo game.

So, Spartacus, are you getting that Limited Edition Switch you just mentioned to add to your collection? I hear it's the cheapest this thing will ever be.....

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Amazon delivered mine about ten days ago. Best Buy just notified me to come pick up my Tears Of The Kingdom Amiibo.
    I pre-ordered the game from Gamestop to use up my rewards and get the wood plaque. Haven't got a notification yet.
    I already gave up on the limited edition Tears Of The Kingdom game. I came perilously close to paying reseller markups on Ebay or Amazon for the Tears of the Kingdom Pro Controller because none of the major retailers had it in stock. Then I saw that one of the resellers on Amazon was Antonline. I went to Antonline's web site and they have them for MSRP plus $5 shipping. They also have Tears of the Kingdom bundles with the console plus the limited edition game or the console plus the pro controller. The console is in stock everywhere, so there are no Nintendo artificial shortages this time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

i got mine at BB the day it came out, i preordered it there and it didnt come with any thing other than their red label on it that peels off easily. its in good shape...
    i've moved in the time between the pre order and the release of the system and when i was packing i found a animal crossing switch system i didnt know i still had. i thought i had returned it...so i guess i'll sit on it and sell it when the the time comes

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    A patch of soil where I have to pay taxes even after owning it.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The whole "TOAK" is kinda why?
    Remember that Zelda game where Not Marian gets ubducted by aliens on the farm?
    Remember that Cho film called "Save the Green Planet" ?

All I could say about this is that your not going to get Gannon in his true wizardry form, or even
    battle royale form. No. You get this game that once again proves Nintendo ( whoever ) just loops
    around the story in order to be like "oh well that happen so it is more believable". Like Disney and SW.

I honestly have no intention of playing through this game once I learned they censored ( yes ) censored
    the Garderner Girl .....whatever lady again. Seeing Madame Cho-Cho as a bunny boss in Mario game is one thing but this just sinks a new low.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gametrek View Post
    The whole "TOAK" is kinda why?
    Remember that Zelda game where Not Marian gets ubducted by aliens on the farm?
    Remember that Cho film called "Save the Green Planet" ?

All I could say about this is that your not going to get Gannon in his true wizardry form, or even
    battle royale form. No. You get this game that once again proves Nintendo ( whoever ) just loops
    around the story in order to be like "oh well that happen so it is more believable". Like Disney and SW.

I honestly have no intention of playing through this game once I learned they censored ( yes ) censored
    the Garderner Girl .....whatever lady again. Seeing Madame Cho-Cho as a bunny boss in Mario game is one thing but this just sinks a new low.
    Uhhh....wut?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Honestly, thought about picking this up the other day. Still haven’t touched BoTW, but saw so much advertising for it kinda feels gross

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    A patch of soil where I have to pay taxes even after owning it.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The difference is this.

BOTW =

Zelda creator last real game before he kick the bucket.
    Has the flower lady/girl who gets upset and TKO Link ( like the GB game if you steal ), or Cukkoo's.
    Actually had a western programmer on board ( the animal critters ). Who was a Zelda fan as a kid.
    You could literally beat the game early from the start and fight this unfinished version of, getting ending 01 out of the way.

TOTK =

Attempts to tie in all of Nintendo's spoofs
    Make the Story about Aliens / Visitors of another world.
    The Flower lady no longer K.O. you and there is no animation or anything at all.
    The Dragon from Dragon Ball fights with another Dragon like itself and you do some sorta thing.

If you have BOTW, I would probably keep it sealed and just find other means of playing the game.
    Otherwise finish BOTW first then dig into TOTK. Your not really missing anything. Same Hyrule only more Sky areas and messed up lore.