Thread: Cannon Dancer (Osman) home release on 4/13... $29.99?!?!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Default Cannon Dancer (Osman) home release on 4/13... $29.99?!?!

Several months back when the Cannon Dancer home release was announced by Inin games, I was genuinely excited. Such a crazy thing; a 30 year old, obscure arcade title finally seeing wide release on home consoles. Definitely never expected that to happen in a million years.

Fast forward to last week and I'm seeing coverage about it being released soon digitally (4/13) and I guess physical copies have already hit the post. They waited until the last minute to announce the price... a whopping $29.99.

That's beyond absurd. A $30 physical release for shelf collectors and other mental patients I can understand, but $30 for a barebones emulation of a virtually unknown arcade game that can be finished in 20 minutes? Hamster's prices for their Arcade Archives series is perfectly fine for 99% of the stuff they release. I just can't comprehend what Inin thinks they're going to accomplish with that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Inin games has become greedy as of late.They botched there handling of the wonderboy collection with a small collection at first then they didn't correct it until the annniverasry collection,which has them all.There's also the case of darius burst and darius g,japanese release has them in one but for the u.s they split it up into two There digital release for cannon dancer is definitely overpriced meanwhile hamster arcade archives just charges $7.99 for there arcade releases.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 04-10-2023 at 05:17 AM.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

There is probably some extra details regarding the pricing we're not aware of, which would explain the pricing.
    Licensing?

Also it is very inconsiderate to label people who want physical video games as "mental patients" when there are people out there with serious mental health issues, that one shouldn't label "one who is willing to pay more for a video game than I am" as such.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Inin is part of United Games Entertainment (Germany) along with Strictly Limited Games and Rocket Games. That's who set the digital price of Osman Cannon Dancer at $29.99. That's actually two dollars more than the physical Japanese multi language version sold at Play Asia. I can understand how the OP would be upset by this. Digital versions should not be more expensive to buy than physical versions. Then again, how many new games released both digitally and physically see the physical version enjoy price drops while the digital version stays at MSRP, so maybe this isn't anything new to digital game buyers. What I found odd is that the physical version of Osman was available before the digital edition. I prefer it the other way around so that the digital buyers can find all the bugs and glitches that can be fixed before the physical edition is pressed. Yeah, I'm kinda selfish that way. Some say it's a mental illness.
    I used to buy quite a few physical Hamster arcade games on the PS2 under the Oretachi Gesen Zoku label. They were only $20 each and I thought they were a great buy! Now, Hamster Arcade Archives sells enhanced roms of old NES and NEOGEO games to download for $8 each. That seems expensive to me too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Hamster Arcade Archives sells enhanced roms of old NES and NEOGEO games to download for $8 each. That seems expensive to me too.
    There are no NES or any console games in the Hamster Arcade Archives series.

I also bought the PS2 Oretachi Geasen series of arcade games. $20 was a great price at the time especially as those games included a mini OST music CD with a main theme remix, also a mini-DVD with gameplay highlights, a mini guide book, a flyer card with reprinted artwork and moves lists, as well as a standard instruction manual.

Agreed with the OP that $30 is too high for this basically bare bones digital copy Osman/Canon Dancer.
    As for "mental patients", well some of us like to own what we pay for.
    I essentially will not have paid a dime for any of my PS4 games, as any that I decide I dont want I am able to sell for the same or more than what I purchased it for.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Koa Zo View Post
    Agreed with the OP that $30 is too high for this basically bare bones digital copy Osman/Canon Dancer.
    As for "mental patients", well some of us like to own what we pay for.
    Careful, expressing such radical non-positive views towards digital downloads might upset some of the mods. Even so, I'll risk it and agree with you.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Koa Zo View Post
    I essentially will not have paid a dime for any of my PS4 games, as any that I decide I dont want I am able to sell for the same or more than what I purchased it for.
    Do you mean if you sell your entire collection or each individual game, I'm doubting you'll be able to profit more from each individual sale of every game you've purchased. I agree though. I bought Cannon Dancer Osman because I'll still be able to get most if not all or more of what I paid, plus I'm interested in it. Not really losing much at all on it if I do decide to sell.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Do you mean if you sell your entire collection or each individual game, I'm doubting you'll be able to profit more from each individual sale of every game you've purchased. I agree though. I bought Cannon Dancer Osman because I'll still be able to get most if not all or more of what I paid, plus I'm interested in it. Not really losing much at all on it if I do decide to sell.
    Selling entire collections always go for less cumulatively than selling individual items. Of course the tradeoff is the time required to list, manage, package, and ship individual sales.

My comment about the PS4 games I've purchased and subsequently sold is in reference to individual games.
    There are a number of games that I purchased the physical game,but then didn't enjoy it and sold it for more than I purchased it for.
    There are a handful of instances where I purchased a physical release and never opened it. ...then months later the digital copy went on sale for dirt cheap, like $3.99, then I sold the physical copy for more than I paid initially,so it covered the digital purchase price plus a little profit left over.
    Of course there are also instances when I've sold a used game for less than I paid.

I should add, I'm not purchasing with the outlook of making any money. I hate dealing with selling. It is a pain in the ass overall.
    The point is actual ownership of the item I've paid for - being able to trade it, loan it, sell it, play it without being online, etc.
    Last edited by Koa Zo; 05-09-2023 at 01:24 PM.