Thread: if I like this game I'll love...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default if I like this game I'll love...

been done before but dammit i want a new adventure shooter to get sucked into. so then if i loved medal of honor and syphon filter what other PS2 or gamecube titles would i love?

a few qualifiers- i dont like squad based games or survival horror and i'm pretty picky about bad control/ camera angles.

so any thoughts, i feel the need to buy myself a birthday present.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you like blowing things up, I say Red Faction 2. Most of the magazines I read didn't rate it highly because they wanted to compare it to Halo, but the on-rails sequence in the gunship makes it worth the money. Also, it has a decent deathmatch game reminiscient of Quake 3. GC version looks better than PS2 version.

I didn't like Red Faction 1 that much. It was too slow and the graphics were too blocky, even for PS2.

Also, straight out of left field, I would also suggest Gungriffon Blaze, a mech shooter for PS2 that can be found for $10 or less. It controls like a FPS, but it's so much more because you have to aid and protect the other mechs in your squad.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i did play red faction (1) and enjoyed the adventure a bit but the dialouge was so AWFUL it hurt "die miner" "SCUM" over and over...ouch! its sorta sad since the game had a lot going for it that they failed in that area, i took to playing it with the sound off. i may pickup RF2 if it ever hits cheap rack, just for kicks.

how about splinter cell? was thinking of holding out til i got an xbox but thats a good looking game and what about hitman?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Metroid Prime?

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Splinter Cell is recommended on PS2 rather than Xbox. They fixed some of the niggling gameplay quirks when they put the PS2 one out.

Judging by your criteria above, I'd say you'd enjoy it.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Splinter Cell is good no matter which system you get it on. The Xbox has a downloadable level, the ps2 has an exclusive level and the GCN has exclusive GBA~GCN hookup features (weapons, radar and such). As for your other questions, try Half Life on the ps2 (if you haven't already played it on the PC), it also has a nice cooperative mode. You might also want to look into Return to Castle Wolfenstein, although I've heard the Xbox is better than the ps2 version. Technically I wouldn't put it into the "survival horror" genre since you wanted to avoid that but it's like a combination of Medal of Honor, only with occult and zombie enemies .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christianscott27
    i did play red faction (1) and enjoyed the adventure a bit but the dialouge was so AWFUL it hurt "die miner" "SCUM" over and over...ouch! its sorta sad since the game had a lot going for it that they failed in that area, i took to playing it with the sound off. i may pickup RF2 if it ever hits cheap rack, just for kicks.

how about splinter cell? was thinking of holding out til i got an xbox but thats a good looking game and what about hitman?
    I'm not sure what to recommend but RF II is only 20 bucks at ebgames.com.

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/223128.asp

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Splinter Cell is recommended on PS2 rather than Xbox. They fixed some of the niggling gameplay quirks when they put the PS2 one out.

Judging by your criteria above, I'd say you'd enjoy it.
    I'd actually give the opposite recommendation. I've played the Xbox version all the way through, and I've played a demo version on PS2. And I wouldn't touch the PS2 version in hindsight.

The levels are much more ... expansive in the Xbox version. A lot of that expansiveness might not matter much (for example, in the demo version I was outside the Chinese restaurant. You couldn't go past the entrance on PS2, but could travel quite a bit further on Xbox. It's useless space perhaps but I felt really cramped and guided on PS2).

However, if Xbox isn't an option (and it doesn't seem to be). I'd still recommend the game, I haven't played the 'cube version though so I can't make recommendations between the two. I also dug MOH and Syphon Filter and I *loved* Splinter Cell.

I'm gonna say this anyway: I also *loved* Eternal Darkness. It was my first forray into survival horror and it has none of those awkward controls of the RE types.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the final 3-
    indiana jones emp tomb
    splinter cell
    castle wolfenstien

but which to pick, ah well off to the mall.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Red Faction 2..I like this game too..

I was very surprised on how great this game was/is after I bought it for $20.00
    Shoot,I would of paid $50.00 for it..but I read a bad review that kept me from buying it..(I think the Magazine's writers were on crack)

Out of all the games I own..I will not hesitate to play this game again,and again.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i went with splinter cell (ps2) thanks to it being $10 cheaper, i'm sure i'll post some sorta review comments in due time but i'd really like to hear what people think of the other games- especially indiana jones, worth the money or wait a year?

does RF2 have the same awful script or did they fix that "DIE MINER" thing
    ?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Too bad, the Xbox version of Splinter Cell has much better game play and graphics. The PS2 version is almost a completely different game.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yes i thought about holding off til i had an xbox, soon maybe i will, but i wanted to have a fun game to play. kinda odd that i have every other damn obscure system but not the xbox, it seems like it may give sony a run for its money after all.