Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Random Game O' the Day: Crossed Swords

The Ever-Suspicious DP Random Game Generator (tm) has chosen Crossed Swords today. Crossed Swords is a Neo-Geo coin-op/AES game.

I remember seeing it for the first time and thinking "COOL, a perspective-based RPG", and after shelling out several dollars realizing that not much new was going to happen other than slashing more monsters. And more. And more... *yawn*

But that's just MY humble opinion. What's yours?

DP Guide sez:

Crossed Swords (Neo Geo, by Alpha Denshi) $30/R2
    Followed by a sequel on the Neo-Geo CD system. SANTULLI SLANT: Or... "What I Did After Punch-Out!!", as the wire-frame, just-behind-the-back, player-guided combatant leaves the ring, takes up a sword, and proceeds to hack and slash his way through several rather dull stages of medieval cliches. I liked the *concept* behind Crossed Swords, it's the execution I'm not a fan of. The game just isn't very exciting. It's even got a dual player split-screen mode. Not good enough. [Gr: 6, So: 6, Ga: 5, Ov: 5] Released 10/01/91. c1991 Alpha Denshi. #037.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Good game, intresting concept with the wire-frame of your character but boring and tedius.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Ah, I actually tried beating this game once when I had a CDZ. Like Kaine said....this game drags on forever.....

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

It simply requires too much memorization to complete. Each enemy has a specific pattern, and unless you can figure them out quickly, your dead. The 2-player co-op mode is nifty though and a nice touch to an otherwise mundane excercise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

At first it was really cool as it was something different. But as everyone said, it got old real quick.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kind of a step up from Super Spy, that Other first person perspective game on Neo Geo. Crossed Swords barely offers more than Super Spy, as it has 2 player mode...but its already been said...boring and tedious. This is one of those games where you just couldn't bring yourself to spend the money getting to the end, because you just know there is nothing rewarding about it.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A step UP from Super Spy? Really? I thought that game was better, although the fighting tended to be somewhat imprecise.
    I don't think first-person fighting is a concept that's ever going to work well, except in rare occasions like Mike Tyson's Punch Out!.

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ManekiNeko
    A step UP from Super Spy? Really? I thought that game was better, although the fighting tended to be somewhat imprecise.
    I don't think first-person fighting is a concept that's ever going to work well, except in rare occasions like Mike Tyson's Punch Out!.

JR
    Well, I did like the concept of Super Spy, but I really do think that Crossed Swords was better thanks to the 2 player mode, plus I will take a medieval theme over a modern theme any day. The two games are not all that disimilar, and neither will hold your attention for long.

I remember my first reaction to Super Spy though, heh, I thought it was awesome...kicking, punching, the UZI ...but after about 10 minutes you realize that it doesn't get any deeper gameplay wise. It's the same game on level 5 that it was on level 1. One things for sure, Both of these games are good at quarter munching, they are hard!

Cheers

edit: I forgot to add that a good example of making this concept work is Dynamite Duke. I thought this game had the right elements, it had more action and moves for your character. It had better and more weapons, plus the theme really worked, very military and lots of explosions. It could keep your attention and was exciting.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

..I was just talking about this game with a friend..

I bought it for my MVS cab awhile back but I never got into it...It was in the cab for no more than 15 minutes..
    It reminded me a lot of Super Spy...
    Super Spy was one of the 4 games that came with my cab,so I played the crap out of it until I got more games..
    At the time I got the Crossed Swords..I was all Super Spy'd out..

A friend of mine just bought a Crossed Swords MVS cart and has suggested I give the game another try....

Cool,
    I may do that this weekend...I need to play some of the MVS carts I never have tome to play..