Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Default Favorite Game Music Piece?

Nothing enhances a great game like great music to go with it. It's truly one of the things that have spoiled modern gamers -- while games pre-NES did have some music it was few and far between. For a long time not reconized as being an important aspect of a good game, that has recently changed, and game music is growing in popularity.

Some games have music so bad you hit the mute button and listen to something else. Others are so good you race out and buy the soundtrack. Nothing makes the fun factor of a shooting game better then a drving hard metal sounding track, or a college football game with the actuall school fight songs, or a RPG matching the sad moments with fitting music and the battle scenes likewise.

Here's the challenge -- if you had to pick ONE musical piece of all time as being your favorite, which one and why?

I really had to think about this one for a while, as so many good games have such wonderfull music -- Gradius, Castlevania, Final Fantasy -- in the end, I picked one not just because of the song itself, but how well it blended into everything else going on.

Dancing Mad from Final Fantasy VI.

For those who have played the game -- the final boss fight music. That's all I should need to say.

For those who have'nt -- in very basic terms, the main objective in FF 6 is to defeat this crazy bad guy named Kefka (who would also get my vote for 'best bad guy in a video game') before he destroys the entire world. He's insane, pure evil, and delights in causing death and destruction. Heck, he destroys the world just to gain more power, and that power makes him a god. But your party fights on, determined to defeat him, and finally you reach his tower.

First you have to defeat three statues, which look like angels, that are a lot of his power. Finally you can bring everyone together and assign your order for the final fight. You rank people so you have the main line and then who backs them up in case someone falls.

The Dancing Mad piece starts as you do the first part of the multi stage battle -- aganist one of the statues you previously defeated, only mutated. It's at the base of a 'tower' like creature, and very mean looking. After you defeat it, the screen shakes and moves up to the statue, and then on to the third. Each statue has a 'unique' part of the Dancing Mad song. The whole song has a very 'church like' feel and sound to it, with organs and harpiscords and flutes. Adding to the feel of the music is the intense fighting, where you unleash everything you saved all game, the great graphics (for the SNES, VERY good), and as party members die and get replaced by weaker people in your group.

Finally you break above some 'clouds' and find Kefka looking like a angel, complete with the sun beams in the background, and the forth and last part of Dancing Mad starts. He taunts you, you rumble, and finally you kick his sorry ass into death, which starts the ending of the game.

The whole song is about 10 minutes long, and made fantastic use of the very good sound chip the SNES had.

Pure. Musical. Bliss

If you have'nt listened to it, do yourself a favor and find a copy online. Even better, there are at least two orchastral versions of the song that I know off -- the best one, I think, is included in the recent Final Fantasy Battle Mages soundtrack. As good as the song itself is, these versions somehow crank it up even another notch.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

One piece, eh? Okay, here's my pick:

Vampire Killer (stage 1) - Castlevania - NES

I'm sure that this may sound kind of cliched, but it really is my favorite piece of game music. This was the first piece I heard that really stuck with me (even more so than the SMB theme and Pitfall II's theme), and it still does to this day. Sure, there have been some fantastic remakes and remixes of this piece (namely Akumajuo Dracula X: Chi no Rondo's version), but the original is still the best, imo. It's simple, it's classic... it's just great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

The Great Fairy Fountain theme from Ocarina of Time on the N64. In all seriousness, I used to go to a fairy fountain, and just sit listening to that theme (not to mention marveling at those hot, hot fairies... hottest video game babes ever... ).

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

The final boss theme from FF2. Zeromus > *

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I certainly can't pick just one.

On the shore bordering another world - from chrono cross is absolutely excellent. It's the overworld music in the alternate dimension. I bought a sampler CD just to have that song.

Chimayouru (kanji i can't read) - from Akumajo Dracula X. I actually own the full soundtrack to this one it was full of great music. this is the piece that plays when you're fighting your way through the colliseum/arena area. It's a great kind of 70's guitar/spanish guitar kind of thing. Just awesome.

Other excellent pieces from this game include (the piece that plays when you're first walking into the castle....has wind howling in the background) and (the heavy electric guitar piece where you're outside on top of the castle, fighting those giant skulls).

Most of the "character themes" from Chrono Trigger were excellent, most notably Robo's and Frog's.

Personally, I usually love a good deal of the music from all the Final Fanatasies, so it wouldn't be right to name any of it. Noubuo Uematsu is my god.

The music in Metal Gear Solid was extremely fitting, especially when you were spotted.

I love DDR music, but it probably doesn't really count. Likewise to the music in Mad Maestro...i knew most of it long before I ever played the game.

Man, there's just so much I could list, but i think I should stop for now. What a great topic.

EDIT: Right, so the DP boards didn't like my hiragana and kanji (though I can use them in my forum title...hmmm), so I put descriptions in parentheses instead.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

The main theme from the original Parasite Eve.

Hoo boy, that stuff gives me the chills, its sooooo good.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I can't really narrow it down to a single song, but for best music overall, Drummania 5th mix wins. Incidentally, it's also my favorite game of all time.

Also, I'm still amazed by the audio Konami was able to pull off with NES games. I don't think any other company knew how to use the PCM/noise channel better.

And if you want to get Japanese characters to work correctly in PHPBB, you'll probably have to force the page encoding to Unicode or Shift-JIS before you enter your message.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the Rock track on the Zombie Stage(level 2) of Metal Slug 3 on the Neo Geo. That song gets me so pumped up, and it fits so perfectly with the nonstop frenetic action of that level. ROCK!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    The main theme from the original Parasite Eve.

Hoo boy, that stuff gives me the chills, its sooooo good.
    Oh HELL yeah. And i didn't even really like that game. I'm currently teaching the piano part of that to myself.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Almost all the songs from Symphony of the night. The music blew me away. I can't really think of another game where the music got me as much as this game.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Main opening theme from Secret of Mana. Wonderful...still sends shivers down my spine.

Halo has some awesome music, used very sparingly but effectively.

I also always loved the music in the Donkey Kong Country underwatch level, the Big Blue level on F-Zero and most of the music in Axelay.

But the game with possibly the best overall music I've ever heard might have to be Pop 'N Twinbee for the SNES. Great stuff, tragedy that it was never released in the US.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I second secret of mana.

I did have some music I really enjoyed from Donkey Kong Country. I think my favorite stuff was from the industrial levels. I want to say there was a level called Fear Factory (don't want to dig out my copy right now) that had great music.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FF7-The piece where Aeris dies, it always moves me. I can not help but get a tear to my eye. The CGI that goes with it only adds to the piece. This is what gaming music should be like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Birth of the People" by Yuzo Koshiro. You know what I'm talking about. In the desert stage, where the people discover music for the first time.

PS: In Actraiser for the SNES, that is

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@Unknown Gamer - Excellent piece of music, I'll agree. And, well, everyone here knows how I feel about the related CG and death scene, so I'll justskip[ commenting on it.

@Tetsu - sounds interesting. From what game?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe I am just a bit emotional when it cames to music. To me some times
    the visual ads to the piece. There is this so called kids flik called "The Last Unicorn" whose next to final scene is where the knight scarafices himself
    the give the lone still free unicorn enough courage to battle the Red Bul
    which has imprisoned all the others. The music in that scene along with the visuals even not brings me to tears.

You can not tell me the opera scene in I beleve is in FF5 does not bring some emotion. To me it matters not wither it is CGI or some music video or even a trgic scene set upon some stage. Music=emotion

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Wow....this is a tough one. However, I'm going with Double Dragon II on the Duo, the ending credits theme. It's a remix of the original DD theme played with an electronic keyboard. Outstanding.....but there are so many more. The final Stage in Contra III on the Super when your fighitng the teleporting bat thingy is undoutably one of the best on the console and Actraiser really set a standard. I'll also second everyone here who mentioned Dracula X. I pop it in sometimes just to listen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

The soundtrack of Super Metroid amazes me. I find myself humming and whistling ALL the time when I play that game.

In the Bemani department, my favorite DDR song is Afronova, IIDX is probably G2, Guitar Freaks is Happy Easter! and Pop'n Music is 100 Sec. Kitchen Battle.

I also really like Captain Falcon's theme in F-ZERO GX, which is odd, because I normally don't listen to rock music very often.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Colony Wars (Playstation) has a fantastic soundtrack.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Unknown Gamer
    Maybe I am just a bit emotional when it cames to music. To me some times
    the visual ads to the piece. There is this so called kids flik called "The Last Unicorn" whose next to final scene is where the knight scarafices himself
    the give the lone still free unicorn enough courage to battle the Red Bul
    which has imprisoned all the others. The music in that scene along with the visuals even not brings me to tears.

You can not tell me the opera scene in I beleve is in FF5 does not bring some emotion. To me it matters not wither it is CGI or some music video or even a trgic scene set upon some stage. Music=emotion
    psst.....the opera scene's in FF6.

But yeah, I remember seeing the last unicorn. Very tragic animated movie. Even the opening theme to that movie (the one written by America) makes me extremely sad. I downloaded it about three years ago, and still have the original mp3.