Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS3 To Be Backward compatible

http://www.gamesarefun.com/cgi-bin/n...2601007,61861,

Well, news item of the day:

It seems that the head of Sony, Ken Kutaragi,officially confirmed that the successor to the PlayStation 2 would be backward compatible with not only PlayStation 2 games, but also original PlayStation games.

"PS one runs on PlayStation 2 through emulation rather than actual hardware. PlayStation 3 will offer the same compatibility for PS2 software and the format will continue forever."

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Posted here, too.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/436/436300p1.html

That will make a lots of folks happy that their investment in software won't be a waste.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

good. every video game system manufacturer should follow Sony's lead...
    #vbender

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That makes total sense, although that didn't helpy the 7800 (being able to play 2600 carts). I know - different situation altogether! I hope Microsoft and Nintendo do likewise.
    "We've come for your daughter Chuck"

-Beetlejuice

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wonder how the developers will feel about this.

I remember they didn't take it well when the news came out that the PS2 was going to be backwards compatible.
    Take care,
    Dennis

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why did the PS2's backward-compatibility upset the developers?
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why were the developers (and who exactly are you referring to with the word 'developers') upset?
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

What upset the "developers" regarding the PS2's backwards-compatitibity? :P
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Props for Sony. I was just chewing on this last night, and grumbling about the fact that I'd have to keep two Sony systems around at any given time in order to have unmitigated access three generations worth of console games. Of course, being primarily a hardware collector, I'd keep them anyway, but it's the principle of the thing you see

This lack of backward compatibility with the 2600 was one of Atari's major failures with the 5200. Nintendo never seemed to learned the lesson. Sega showed a little more respect for the idea as there was some compatibility in middle-era systems (Genesis and SMS) but only with awkward hardware add-ons.

Honestly, as long as Sony game media remains issued on a standard 5.25" diameter compact disc (regardless of storage capacity) I can see no reason why there shouldn't be back-compatibility between the three systems.

Pear (Level 6) Reverend JagDiesel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I believe Microsoft has planned the NextBox (whatever it'll be called) to be backwards compatible. It only makes sense, if for no other reason, so that the stores can mark down and sell the older system's games once the newer system is out. Hell, think of how many PS1 games have come out since the PS2 released.
    You can put a man on trial, but you can't make the guilty pay.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chadtower
    Why were the developers (and who exactly are you referring to with the word 'developers') upset?
    When it was announced that the PS2 was going to be backwards compatible, I remember reading that some development houses were not happy with the decision. I can't remember where I read this, sorry

They claimed it wouldn't help new companies. Their argument was why would another company come in and try to compete with, for example, the RR or GT series? They claimed if the machine wasn't backwards compatible then they had a chance to compete because they didn't have to "compete" with the older PS1 titles.

I don't see how though. With better hardware the consumer would only expect a game to be better than it's predecessor.
    Take care,
    Dennis

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

I strongly doubt Nintendo will ever make a home console backwards compatable. In fact, I'm 100% suprized the GBA was.

The only bad thing I can see about backwards compatability is if the technology has to be crippled a little to make the compatability. Example: the 7800 had terrible sound which had something to do with the backwards compatability with the 2600. There was a workaround (putting the 5200's Pokey chip in the carts) but how many used that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong
    The only bad thing I can see about backwards compatability is if the technology has to be crippled a little to make the compatability. Example: the 7800 had terrible sound which had something to do with the backwards compatability with the 2600. There was a workaround (putting the 5200's Pokey chip in the carts) but how many used that?
    Hopefully this won't be a problem anymore, as the trend is to emulate the orginal hardware (ala PS2) rather than through built-in hardware.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Small developers should be thrilled!

Small developers can't invest the 20-30 million dollars top games cost to produce. Therefore, they could resonably be expected to make games for a previous platform, knowing there would still be a huge install base. Take the PS1, for example. I am still coming across new games for it, even though the PS2 is already established. And, I still see people going thru the PS1 games at EB. After all, if people weren't still buying them, EB wouldn't be taking up premium floor space for PS1 stock, when they have to also stock games for the PS2, Xbox, GameCube and Game Boy Advance. Not to mention Dreamcast, which they still stock (although used only). Then there's all those PC games they carry.

Since my PS1 recently died, I'm looking at a PS2 (still haven't taken the plunge - I do have 13 systems, not counting duplicates; Dreamcast is the only 128 Bit system that I have) to replace by dead PS1.

PS3 will be a no-brainer if it will also play PS1 and PS2 games. My switcher only has so many inputs! x_x
    "We've come for your daughter Chuck"

-Beetlejuice

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wonder if Sony's plan is to extend the shelf life of video game systems. It makes sense, since the company typically loses money on it's consoles for the first couple of years, and it costs money for developers to have to relearn a system. I also think it would be good for the industry because stability would bring in more customers and lower the cost of systems on an overall level, as well as increase the willingness of companies like Sony to lose money by selling a better product that (hopefully) will last longer because it will prolong the life of the system.

Unfortunately, I don't think that Nintendo will stand by this philosophy. It could be that Nintendo's own desperate bid to reclaim the throne by releasing a new system every 4 or 5 years could actually be damaging to the industry as a whole, and to the consumer that is satisfied with his PS2. This might hurt Sony financially, but they will still remain on top.

Backwards compatibility helps alleviate this problem, as evidenced by the Die Hard PS1. Hopefully all video game companies will adopt this mentality.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This backward compatibility is cool, but I doubt that it will be 100%. In particular, I'll bet there will be neither a Playstation link cable port nor an iLink port on the PS3.
    (\ /)
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong
    I strongly doubt Nintendo will ever make a home console backwards compatable. In fact, I'm 100% suprized the GBA was.

Actually the reason the POKEY wasn't in the 7800 itself was because they were too cheap to redesign the casing they had the mold for. Pretty lame reason, but there it is.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Anyone got any ideas on the backwards upgrades then for PS and PS2 games, besides maybe smoother graphics?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    Anyone got any ideas on the backwards upgrades then for PS and PS2 games, besides maybe smoother graphics?
    Upon inserting any PS or PS2 game, the player will be presented with the option to play either the inserted game, or Radiant Silvergun.
    (\ /)
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    I've got an idea for the PS3. When you turn it on, it should say "This unit will self destruct in..." and give the exact time when it will inevitably malfunction. That way, you'll know just when you need to shell out big bucks to replace it!
    (What, me cynical?)

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org