Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: n64 joysticks

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default n64 joysticks

Okay, I have like 7 of these controllers now, and nearly all of them have loose crappy sticks. How does one fix these?
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I remember correctly, someone on this board managed to purchase a bunch of the joystick assemblys. Otherwise (and this is the option that I reccomend the least), you can call Nintendo and ask them to send you a couple. We aren't supposed to send them out, however, and if the person you are talking to doesn't acquiesce in the first 30 seconds, I'd say thank him for his time and try again.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So you're saying there is only one person who has them other than nintendo, who does not sell them? Bogus.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah they are a bitch to get ahold of. If you absolutely cannot find one, I might be able to hook you up with a few shhh.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it was omnedon who scored the replacement sticks.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have some. I wish they were cheap, but their not. $7.50USD each, plus actual ship.

I only have about 8 right now, but I think I can get more. They are awesome, and are genuine Nintendo.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So it really sounds like it's better to buy a whole replacement controller. Damn, wish I had known, gamestop just had a 50% off used accessories sale.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I simply can't find replacement controllers around these parts. No N64 controllers to be found except for crappy 3rd part ones. All the used Nintendo N64 ones seem to exhibit this to one degree or another.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, but they all WILL have that problem eventually... so at least if you have 10 that are a little loose for $3.50 each, you will have one decent one available for a long time. The gamestops here are FULL of used n64 controllers. The next 50% off accessories sale I'm going to clean them out, I think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You and I have a different approach.

I located a supply of the sticks instead.... but I'm a picky guy. I gotta put at least 4 'AWAY'--- like away away. then of course I could end up foreetting about them....

I buy the wobbly ones for a buck a piece, and put sticks in 'em.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, but you know where to get the sticks... and I have never seen a $1 n64 controller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well the $1 ones I see have a seriously wobbly stick..as in utterly useless with no response at all.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Right, so, basically eventually all n64 joysticks will be broken, is that where it's headed?

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

omnedon, have you tried disassembling the old, worn sticks to see if repair is an option?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have. I couldn't figure anything out. The stick moves two sets of curved rails. The powder is the rails literally being worn away. As the rails get thinner, the sticks wobble, and lose range of motion and sensitivity.

The sticks themselves are about as repairable as a fine tooth comb with missing teeth.

In the future, for future 'collectors' for the N64, this is going to be a big big problem. I'm putting a few replacement switches away.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So where can the rest of us get some of these?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I get them from a local surplus guy, who tells me he gets them from Hong Kong. he's a wholesaler who sells (mostly third part trash) to the local Microplays, EBgames, Future Shop, etc. He does not sell online, and he only sells wholesale, to businesses with a GST number.

If you want, I may be able to get you his office phone number. He restricts me to orders of $80 or higher per order. And this is in Canada.

If there was an online source (that I know of), I'd have posted the link already. I'm not really interested in being an N64 stick re-seller.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hrm. That's probably too much trouble for me right now... especially considering what I already have in the pipeline. I'll just have to be sure to pick up as many cheap n64 controllers as I can along the way.

Oh, that, and I'm not a business with whatever that license number you mentioned is... though perhaps in the future, if we ever trade, some sticks can be part of it.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon
    I have. I couldn't figure anything out. The stick moves two sets of curved rails. The powder is the rails literally being worn away. As the rails get thinner, the sticks wobble, and lose range of motion and sensitivity.
    Interesting. What are the rails made of? I daresay I almost want one of those broken stick assemblies to tinker with myself, but I take your word for it.

I wonder if this will pose a problem with Dreamcast controllers as well?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The rails are made of thin plastic. Cheap plastic.

"I" couldn't fix it. That is not the same thing as unfixable.

Unfixable for omnedon.