Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: n64 joysticks

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I've never seen the insides of one, but do you think it's possible you could 'build' up the plastic railing by brushing on some epoxy resin and letting it harden? Don't use the quickset type though, that crap cures into a rubbery consistency. Use the 90-minute or more type. Heck, even JB Weld, possibly.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're going to go that far, just make something that exact shape out of something easier to remake. Make them out of glass so they don't break down as easily. Make them out of wood so you can make them 100x.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chadtower
    If you're going to go that far, just make something that exact shape out of something easier to remake. Make them out of glass so they don't break down as easily. Make them out of wood so you can make them 100x.

That isn't easier.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How about if someone took a good pair of rails and coated them with something to prevent this type of breakdown? Maybe a urethane or something that would not be rubbed away over time?
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i was thinking metal....find a coat hanger or something that has the same thickness.......and everything in this world is close to the same size or you can find it.......but........honestly.......i've never delt with anything of the sort...just a suggestion.......i played my N64 the other day and the joysticks on all 4 controllers look to be in great shape......and wobble perfect......but perform horribly......i hate nintendo.......always ruining something.......i guess they knew how to make an 8 bit console popular though

Pretzel (Level 4) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Duncan1800
    PSN
    Duncan1800

Putting metal on the rails in some way would probably cure this issue, methinks.

But I'm guessing that the first person who tries it will find that their controller has suddenly gotten a lot more noisy -- which is probably the reason Nintendo used plastic rails in the first place. (Why should they be concerned about long life?)

Some enterprising person could also crack open a PS or PS2 Dual Shock controller and see if there's any way to retrofit that mechanism into the N64. They seem to hold up quite a bit better in most cases.

It does kind of suck that something as ancient and cheap as an Atari 2600 joystick or Master System control pad holds up better than a supposedly "modern" design like the N64's controller...

Duncan
    Active systems owned: Wii, X360, PS3
    Inactive systems owned: RCA, INTV2, NES, SMS, Genesis, Lynx, SNES, Saturn, PS1, GBC, DC, PS2, GBA, Xbox, GC, PSP, DS
    Systems wanted: Coleco, 7800, TG16, GG, 3DS, Vita, WiiU

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How about if someone took a good pair of rails and coated them with something to prevent this type of breakdown? Maybe a urethane or something that would not be rubbed away over time?
    I'm still wondering about this idea... find a good controller and coat the rails with something that won't break down over time. Anyone have a reason this won't work?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd be all over that... if you can come up with something that will stick, dry uniformly, wear smoothly, and add thickness in a smooth fashion.

Any Chemists?
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bet it doesn't have to be 100% perfect, and I'd bet you could find some type of spray finish that will do it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I suppose some kind of shellac or even a paint could conceivably do it.....
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whoever tries this, let us all know how it pans out.....

...because I'm not trying it...I've spent waaaay too much time already trying to repair wobbly sticks

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was thinking less of lubricants and more of surfaces resistant to breaking down, like a urethane... though I suppose we could try both.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have you guys ever heard of POR-15? It's special paint that's impervious to rust and practically bulletproof. It's pretty much all the rage in car restoration circles. It's expensive, but in the amounts you'd need it wouldn't be prohibitive. Not sure how well it would adhere to plastic but this stuff is TOUGH. I'm talking better than powder-coat tough.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, there are things like that, but once you get out of the economics of what it's worth to save an n64 joystick...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Yeah, there are things like that, but once you get out of the economics of what it's worth to save an n64 joystick...
    Consider the value of what could be a permanent solution.

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have access to computer driven machines which cut ABS plastic, Acrylic, and other such substances. Is this a flat item which I could have our guy cut in quantity?

Dave
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know, I haven't taken any apart yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They are curved like the The rails are U-shaped.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

what about.....something you could dip them in, like epoxy or.....fiberglass resin. epoxy was my first guess.....but it would be a mess, it would never spread right. and a spray might work, but how many coats?.....and spraying plastic totally sucks......i painted the interior on my car......just a few small pieces and what a headache. i may try the fiberglass resin idea once i take one apart and check out the internals for myself. and with that idea you would want to do as many parts at the same time as possible.....because.....not that it's expensive but, a little of the stuff would go a long way....and small amounts kind of suck to mix. you can get a small jug of the stuff for $10 at any auto store. if somebody else tries this idea, post it up as i'll post results as soon as i try it......if i find the time