Thread: I think I've found something to collect (consoles)...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I think I've found something to collect (consoles)...

I could never ponder collecting something like games because I'd have to buy games like Barbie Supermodel or Bebe's Kids, and I don't want that around!

However, I thought about consoles and the fact that I tend to pick up different versions of the same console because of different features and so on, so forth. Which in turn made me think about this. I've already done this (buying different versions of the same console) for probably 4 or 5 systems...so this isn't too 'extreme'. The only thing I wonder about is how others go about this. Obviously, I wouldn't copy exactly (I'd go my own route, and purchase only what I would want to), I am still curious as to how others go about this, if they do.

I definitely not buy variations of a console ala different colors or special editions like Nintendo does, as they are essentially the same exact system. Purple, Green, Red, Clear, Yellow...they are still the same. But other than this, I'm really wondering whether I should go about buying consoles that are cosmetically and so on the same, but have a port removed, or something like that. For example, the several different versions of the pre-PSone PlayStations, or the several different Genny 1 systems. Maybe one of each...

Like having a VCS 6-switch and a 4-switch, but not necessarily owning both a VCS 4-switch woodgrain and a VCS 4-switch 'Darth Vader'. Or the HD and non-HD versions of the Genny 1.

Pretty much this thread is me talking to myself aka thinking out loud....but this ght make some interesting reading, and possibly get some ideas/opinions from others.

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

That sounds like a sound way of collecting. Reminds me of the fact that I own a Genny I, II, and III. You've inspired me to look for different console variations myself, I thank you dear brother in obsessive collecting!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If that wasn't sarcasm, then no problem!

If it was sarcasm, sorry ?

What you just said is pretty much what I've noticed about myself. I have different versions of the same systems. Doesn't mean I use all of them, but I own them.

However, I would definitely NOT buy certain things like R-Zone's, Tamagotchi's, etc.... I just don't think those are 'true' video game systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Default Re: I think I've found something to collect (consoles)...

Quote Originally Posted by The Manimal
    I definitely not buy variations of a console ala different colors or special editions like Nintendo does, as they are essentially the same exact system. Purple, Green, Red, Clear, Yellow...they are still the same. But other than this, I'm really wondering whether I should go about buying consoles that are cosmetically and so on the same, but have a port removed, or something like that. For example, the several different versions of the pre-PSone PlayStations, or the several different Genny 1 systems. Maybe one of each....
    Maybe it's just me, but I'd consider a collection of different colored/special edition consoles far more interesting than several PS1's with different port variations...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I did the "collect ever variant" thing until I just ran out of room lol.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

Quote Originally Posted by The Manimal
    If that wasn't sarcasm, then no problem!

If it was sarcasm, sorry ?

What you just said is pretty much what I've noticed about myself. I have different versions of the same systems. Doesn't mean I use all of them, but I own them.

However, I would definitely NOT buy certain things like R-Zone's, Tamagotchi's, etc.... I just don't think those are 'true' video game systems.
    I wasn't being sarcastic, I think it's a fun idea. I'd go out to buy a second version SNES, a Top-Loader, a PSOne, an SP special edition, that sounds cool. I'm really too broke to be a hardware collector (honestly, most times I'm too broke to be a game collector), but I can dream of happier days when I'm rolling around and hurting myself on the corners or rounded edges of multiple consoles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool beans