Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the Sachen carts "official" NES releases?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Are the Sachen carts "official" NES releases?

I'm down to the last 98 carts I need to complete my NES collection and I'm facing a major problem. I can't decide wether or not I need the Sachen games to have a totally complete NES collection. When I first started collecting NES back in 1997, I was going by the DP Collectors Guide #5. That guide had no mention of Sachen carts anywhere in it. Last year when the #7 guide came out, I nearly shit a brick when I saw 50+ new cartridge listings....all Sachen, added to the NES section. I thought "Great, another year and at least another $1,000 until I complete my NES collection".

It seems the NES community is split in half on Sachen situation: one side believes that they are shitty pirate carts that don't belong on the NES canon, and the others believe that they are just like all the other unlicensed titles and should be included.

What do you guys think? I would like to say no, they aren't "official" NES titles, but when you think about it, the 3 Panesian games aren't really that different from the Sachens.

Also, anyone know where Sachen carts were sold? I've never seen an ad or outlet for any of their carts anywhere.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Sachen

From what I understand, 72-pin NTSC carts are sold (since TheRedEye bought a bunch of them) but to this day, no evidence of them being sold in the US has been found at my last recolection.

I dunno, guess it's up to you. The games DO suck however...

Join the Konami All Stars and get FREE stuff!

Visit the Prototype Archive - System Failure - A really old backup.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NO

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Until we dont have a REAL evidence that Sachen was sold in the US. I still consider them to be NOT in the US collection.
    Oh eBay! you are such a pain, I am addicted to you like crack cocaine. You offer things I cannot find in stores,You are the pimp, and we are all your whores.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Still, the carts are 72 pins (our NES standard) and NTSC format... I suppose that's where the arguement stems from. The 72 pin carts won't fit in a Japanese Famicon, and the NTSC format means they weren't meant for the UK... I can't see Canada and Brasil and being the targeted market. Who knows? The arguement continues...

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Still, the carts are 72 pins (our NES standard) and NTSC format... I suppose that's where the arguement stems from. The 72 pin carts won't fit in a Japanese Famicon, and the NTSC format means they weren't meant for the UK... I can't see Canada and Brasil and being the targeted market. Who knows? The arguement continues...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atari7800
    But didn't Sachen make their own pirate NES console too? If so, that would explain how people overseas could play the carts.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

I don't know so much about the NES... you may be right about the pirate console. That would go a long ways in explaining their carts. PLus, if they had the INTENTION of releasing the carts in the US but never did, does that intention really make them part of the US collection? Also, didn't other game companies re-release some of the Sachen games under their own labels?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Japan has NTSC, but many Asian countries have PAL, right? The Hong Kong and Asian version carts (that are Nintendo-licensed) are PAL carts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess it depends on your definition of offical. No 72 pin pirates/companies like Color Dreams,Ave, etc. are offical. legitimate US releases, yes, but not offical.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spoon
    I guess it depends on your definition of offical. No 72 pin pirates/companies like Color Dreams,Ave, etc. are offical. legitimate US releases, yes, but not offical.
    Well what I meant by "official" is if the cartridges could be purchased new in the United States, regardless if they were unlicensed or not. The more I find about Sachen, the more I believe they don't fit into this category.

Since they were never sold in the US, I don't consider the Sachens to be legitimate US releases and won't collect them. To me, it just sounds like Sachen tried to market a NES clone in Asia that was capable of playing their 72-pin games and coincidentally, NES games as well.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If they arent sold in the U.S. how can we consider them U.S. releases?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Deftonian
    PSN
    Detonian90
    3DS Friend
    1805-3053-7836

while were on the subject do u guys consider the aladdina also to have a "complete collection"??

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wouldn't be too worried if you don't get the sachen carts. It is pretty much understood that they were NOT available for retail purchase in the U.S. I am 2 games short of having the complete NES collection and I will not even worry about the Sachen stuff. It would be nice to have, but I am not going to panic about not having them.

Danny

P.S. Maybe Adam (Buyatari) could shed some more light on this, he might have more information.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slipdeath
    while were on the subject do u guys consider the aladdina also to have a "complete collection"??
    YES. (I am assuming you mean the aladdin deck enhancer) They were widely available through retail. I believe you can still pick up the whole set brand new, still on ebay.

Danny

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slipdeath
    Definately, there has been one guy selling complete sets for about 90$ with shipping on ebay for awhile. Not just that, since Sachens come up also, but these were available in the US for sure.

I dont consider the Sachen carts to be necessary for a US collection, I dont believe they were released here.

EDIT: almost quoted Darth word for word, oh well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ruudos
    Japan has NTSC, but many Asian countries have PAL, right? The Hong Kong and Asian version carts (that are Nintendo-licensed) are PAL carts.
    A couple pages too late, but no, it's SECAM. French. I don't know about Hong Kong in particular, but I bet that's SECAM too.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ok, but these NES carts aren't any different. French NBES carts are just the same as carts from Germany, Spain, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the question really should be what games were legally available in the USA.

If we don't include the Sachen games then I don't think that the Panesian or any of the other unlicensed games should be included either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default SAchen

There is a difference between unlicensed and unreleased in the US.

And early someone said that the games couldn't be released for the non-US NTSC market, but I beg to differ given the popularity of video gaming in Brazil and other NTSC or similar format (PAL-M) non-Asian markets.

Given that I've see ALOT of NES out there and never once met a Sachen game (nor Panesian game, but still), I have my doubts that they received real release here and I don't include them in my collecting goals seriously. It takes the fun out of it to have 50 more carts to get that I never see available- anywhere.

And yes there are NTSC NES pirates out there other than Sachen.

ian