Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESPN NFL Football, among the all-time best football games!!!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ESPN NFL Football, among the all-time best football games!!!

I'm an absolute huge fan of the National Football League, and I'm also a huge fan of video games. So it's only reasonable to assume that I would be a big time lover of video football games. And that is absolutely correct. I've been playing football video games since the very beginning. From the simple "Football" on the Atari 2600, to "Ten Yard Fight" on the NES and then later "Tecmo Bowl" on the NES. Then "TV Sports Football" for the Turbo was king, for a couple of weeks anyways. Because "John Madden Football" for the Genesis came out only a couple of weeks after TV Sports Football came out for the Turbo. The original John Madden on the Genesis was a watershed moment in football videogaming. It simply changed the way people made football video games. I still feel that John Madden 93 on the Sega Genesis, could quite possibly be the best football game ever made. It just had such a pure flow and grace to it. It just felt right.

After Madden 93 on the Genesis, you had the 3DO version of Madden , and then came NFL Gameday out of the blue for the PSone. Then for a couple of years it was basically a toss up between the newest version of Gameday or Madden on the PSone.

Then with Sega's Dreamcast, and NFL2K, video football once again went through a revolutionary change. The first real deal 3d football game was born. NFL2K1 on the Dreamcast was even better, but was forshadowed by the arrival of the first Madden game on the PS2. I still feel that NFL2K1 was right by Madden 93, as one of the best football games ever. In terms of pure playability and flow. Then of course with the arrival of the XBOX, came NFL Fever. A football game that had taken football to new levels graphically. Playability wise, it still needed some help, but football games hadn't seen such beautiful graphics up to that point. Sega moved their NFL2K3 series to the XBOX and PS2, and they basically went head to head with XBOX and PS2 versions of Madden. I personally feel that last year, NFL2K3 on the XBOX was the best football game available.

Then we come to this year, and it appeared that Madden might actually take back the throne from NFL2K3. Madden is incredibly polished this year, and very tightly tuned in terms of gameplay. I really thought that Madden had finally earned back my respect, and my No. 1 spot.

But then I get my hands on ESPN NFL Football for the XBOX, and I must say that this game is the absolute "Bomb-diggity!" . It really is no contest. Even if you are totally brainwashed by E.A. Sports, and you are a Madden lover to the heart, I think you will finallly succomb to the truth that ESPN NFL Football is actually much superior, in pretty much every single facet of the game. To me, ESPN NFL Football 2004 has to be regarded along with the all time greats. Games like the original Tecmo Bowl. John Madden 93 on Genesis and the original NFL Gameday on the PSone, and NFL2K1 on the Dreamcast.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So I take it you like the First Person perspective in this game. I haven't played it. but from what I had seen of it, I wasn't too hot on the FP view. Is it that good?
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The first person perspective mode is actually very, very interesting. You get a view from inside the players helmet. It's more than just a "quickie gimmick". You can really play this game extensively from the First Person Perspective, if you want to. The problem with playing a football game from a first person perspective comes when you are on defense. Alot of times, the other team's offense will run a play that isn't anywhere near your defensive player, so you don't end up getting in on the action. I've found that choosing to be a middle linebacker is probably the best way to go in terms of playing with the FPP (first person perspective) on defense. I tried being a strong safety, and alot of times the play was nowhere near where I was.

On offense, controlling the quarterback in first person, is pretty damn cool. You have the defensive linemen coming after you, and you also have to try to see over your own linemen, and it's much harder to tell which wide recievers are open, and which aren't. After playing as a QB in FPP, you learn to appreciate just how difficult it must be for a real QB in the NFL.

Being the Running Back is very cool too. You are just waiting behind the QB, for the ball to be snapped, and then the QB hands the ball to you, and you have to react very quickly to the holes that open up, and try to get through and get some daylight, before the linebackers smash you in the mouth.

So all in all, the first person mode is not a little gimmick at all, it's definitely legit.

But I'm not really taking the FPP into consideration when I consider this game to be among the 5 or so best football games ever. I'm just considering playing the game normally, but the FPP mode is definitley a great bonus on top.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

just so you know, ESPN Football = Sega NFL 2k4, it's the same engine, but Sega scored the ESPN license. If I'm going to get a new football game, this would be it. My favorite engine + Chris Berman on PBP? SIGN ME UP!

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Thanks for the review. I bought Madden 2004 and am loving it, of course, but it sounds like Sega and ESPN made a nice game this year as well. I did'nt care for Sega's sports games in the past, but everyone says how this game is as good as Madden and blow away the other football games.

I'll wait until I can get a copy for $20-25 used, though -- probaly after football season ends. Want to get NCAA 2004 as well.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    Thanks for the review. I bought Madden 2004 and am loving it, of course, but it sounds like Sega and ESPN made a nice game this year as well. I did'nt care for Sega's sports games in the past, but everyone says how this game is as good as Madden and blow away the other football games.

I'll wait until I can get a copy for $20-25 used, though -- probaly after football season ends. Want to get NCAA 2004 as well.

Do your sefl a favor and trade in Madden 2004 now for ESPN. I'm telling you, it's no freaking contest. Actually, I would put Madden 2004 up on Ebay. You would get close to 45 bucks for it, and then you could find ESPN NFL on sale for $39.99 so it wouldn't be any loss at all.

If you don't believe me, then please rent it for 5 days from Blockbuster and give it a fair chance. It's the better game, without question.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Sorry, I'm not giving up on Madden. Madden has always been more simulation, which is what I crave. Sega's sports games have always been more arcade like, and I've never gotten realistic results on games in previous years.

Granted, that may have changed this year, but I don't see anything wrong with my original plan -- play Madden now until January or so, by which time I should be sick of it, and then I can find ESPN for cheap and play that one until summer time.

Also, honestly, I almost always leave Madden in Coach mode -- hardly play games myself. I don't recall if ESPN/Sega has a Coach mode in their games.

First person does sound fun, though.

I have friends who have both games, so I don't see anything wrong with having both games.

BTW, I wish they had released a GC version. Or a PC -- I have the PC version of Madden. Guess I'll have to get the PS2 version.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

It really is stupid, but everyone is so stuck on Madden, no one will ever admit that there's a better football game out there. Last years wars prove it. NFL 2K3 walked all over the hardly-inproved Madden, but the sales figures prove no one seemed to care. Idiots.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod
    It really is stupid, but everyone is so stuck on Madden, no one will ever admit that there's a better football game out there. Last years wars prove it. NFL 2K3 walked all over the hardly-inproved Madden, but the sales figures prove no one seemed to care. Idiots.

Yeah. You have to give Electronic Arts marketing teams credit for brainwashing America's youth into thinking that all E.A. Sports games are the best in their field.

Especially Madden.

Believe me, I gave Madden every oportunity to win me over this year, but the reality was that the Sega game is freaking better. I can't lie to myself. Especially when it is this obvious.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In the future, all videogames are Madden.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

It's not really all EA games...pretty much the NHL, NBA, and NFL games that piss me off. They suck...period. NBA Live has sucked ever since it hit the next-gen consoles (You simply can't beat the 2K series), NHL has went compltely downhill the past few years, and Madden has done nothing new (with the exception of the new GM mode which is kinda cool, but nothing beats the "Crib"). There are a few exceptions though....Tiger Woods has been an outstanding franchise, though the competition is light, it's still one hell of a fun game. MVP was really good, but the insane amount of "meters" was too much for me to handle, but there's defintiely something there. God knows it's better than Triple Play...yuck...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bargora
    In the future, all videogames are Madden.
    I hear that. The first two years of Madden on the PS2 sucked, HARD! I guess some people gave up gameplay and fun for "Simulation". Barf!

Sega's 2k3 was looking to have a big year. To me, it was a dissapointment. Madden trashed it in everyway. This years Madden is a lot of fun, and so is NCAA 2004. NCAA '04 is the best football game of the year so far in my opinion. I can't wait to pick up a copy of Espn 2k4.

What also sucks, is EA has exclusive rights for Nascar games for something like the next 5 years. Last years Nascar, and this years, are good. But, if they suck, what else am I gonna buy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm very interesting. I'll have to try this ESPN Football

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry, Madden is better. It is this year, last year, and the year before that. But I guess I'm an idiot because my opinion differs from yours.

And nothing from Sega Sports (or EA for that matter) will ever top NHL '94, or NHL '98. That is a FACT.

NBA2k series is better than Live these days, but 2k3 has some seriously retarded bugs in it, like being called out of bounds when you 3 feet from the line. Who the fuck is programming this stuff?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

I've played 'em both, and I gotta say I'm still partial to Madden. I think it's simply more realistic, not that ESPN is a slouch. I guess I'm just another clockwork orange...

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll wait a bit and pick up ESPN probably. I hardly ever buy Madden games when they first come out either--I just prefer the NCAA Football games, so I tend to buy those first. ESPN definitely sounds interesting though.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to think that anybody that thinks Madden is better than ESPN isn't really giving ESPN a fair shot.

Maybe they've played ESPN and they went into it having a preconcieved notion that ESPN might be ok, but Madden is still better. So they go into it with that preconcieved notion, and then they find things to nit pick on about ESPN.

But if they gave ESPN a full 5 day rental period, and played it in depth for 5 days, without hoping in their subconcious that ESPN would suck, so that their Madden Brainwashing could live on, anybody would find ESPN to be superior in every way.

Last year I could see how some people would prefer Madden, but this year I just don't know how it's possible.

The only thing I'll give Madden the advantage in, is the playmaker feature. That is pretty sweet. Of course Sega has similar features in their game too, that allow you to basically do the same thing.

I would love to just take all the Madden lovers out there, and lock them in a room with a XBOX, a HDTV, and a copy of ESPN NFL 2004. I would leave them in there for a month and then I would give them a free copy of Madden and ESPN, and then I would see which one they actually played from that point on.

Personally, I already know what the answer would be.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, you spewed a lot of garbage in your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    I have to think that anybody that thinks Madden is better than ESPN isn't really giving ESPN a fair shot.
    I would have to think that if you thought ESPN is better than Madden, then that's your valid opinion, play the game that's more fun to you. Weird concept, I know. I played ESPN football, and Madden is better, IMO. The only thing I like better about ESPN football, is the commercial.

But if they gave ESPN a full 5 day rental period, and played it in depth for 5 days, without hoping in their subconcious that ESPN would suck, so that their Madden Brainwashing could live on, anybody would find ESPN to be superior in every way.
    What the fuck are you talking about? We're talking about a simple game of football, not brainwashing. Sometimes people won't agree with you, deal with it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buttasuperb
    Wow, you spewed a lot of garbage in your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    I would have to think that if you thought ESPN is better than Madden, then that's your valid opinion, play the game that's more fun to you. Weird concept, I know. I played ESPN football, and Madden is better, IMO. The only thing I like better about ESPN football, is the commercial.

What the fuck are you talking about? We're talking about a simple game of football, not brainwashing. Sometimes people won't agree with you, deal with it.

The Brainwashing has to do with the incredible job of marketing that E.A. has done over the last 14 years with Madden. Madden has become a single word that is almost a word that can replace "video football game".

E.A. has made it so pervasive, that it is difficult for people to even consider the fact that there are indeed other football games that are competing with it out there.

I'm not saying that you specifically are brainwashed by it, but there are definitely Madden deciples that are.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Funny, I thought Sega did pretty well with their sports games....

I think we can all agree, though, that both games are better then Sony's/989's game, or any other Football game.