Thread: Glues

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default Glues

Anyone have good experience gluing labels back down on cartridges where they started to peel? I'm interested in a good adhesive for paper on plastic and any tips- here's what I've observed:

Older Genesis games: great adhesive, I've never seen a peeling label, they usually tear/rip off/fade before they'll fall off on their own.

Genesis games with red spines on packaging: Top label tends to peel up in middle where there's no plastic underneath.

Majesco Genesis games: Shittiest glue ever.

SNES games, all: Bottom corners lift up sometimes.

NES games: Entire bottom edge tends to curl up or come loose.

Granted, this is just what I've observed in the wild and with some carts that arrive to me in the mail- I keep all of mine stored in plastic drawers with lots of dessicant bags to prevent it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Elmer's Glue.

You can lightly wet a towel and wipe off the parts you want to remove (like glue fingerprints and stuff after it's dried and done)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I usually go with Elmers also. If it's a label that I've removed for whatever reason and might remove again in the future, I'll use rubber cement (like the labels on a supercharger module).

If the label is glossy, I secure it towards the edge while it's drying with cheap electrical tape. It's just sticky enough to hold it in place while it dries, and most adhesives won't bond to electrical tape so you can easily remove it.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    chunkycorn

electical tape is great, use it most of the time, i also had some 3M painters non stick rubber masking tape. Works a little better but it's just electrical tape i think.

I use elmers, but the newer clear elmers, sometimes when you put glue it seems to saok into some of the crapier labels, this glue seems to not be absorbed so much yet it holds nice.
    My life and perception has changed, but my principals are the same.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chunky
    I use elmers, but the newer clear elmers, sometimes when you put glue it seems to saok into some of the crapier labels, this glue seems to not be absorbed so much yet it holds nice.
    That's exactly why I try to avoid the original Elmers brand, since I had a label wrinkle on me after application. Could have been too much glue, or the fact the label wasn't the really glossy kind, I dunno. I'll look out for the clear glue type though. Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll definitely use the tape idea as well.