Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Default Mini Review: Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Well, this game finally came out for the GBA today after much waiting, and after playing with it a couple hours after work I thought I would write a few words about it. Mostly because this is a fun game that even people who don't like modern games can pick up and enjoy.

For starters, if you're farmilar with Final Fantasy Tactics for the PSX, then you know this game, but it does have some differnet twists and a whole new set of races in it, as well as a new story. It's set in the modern times in the modern, present world -- at least to start.

You play a teenaged boy who has just moved to the town of St. Ivalice with your mother and sickly younger brother. One day at your school you have a snowball fight (which you control a little off, to get you used to the game) and then invite two of your classmates over to your home after. While checking up on your brother, the two come over and one shows all of you a strange old book that he just bought at a local store. It has a lot of pictures, icons, and weird words in it. It reminds one of your friends of the Final Fantasy games.

That night, you go to bed and suddenly wake up to find yourself in a strange town, and you bump into a lizard. He's hostile, but then a moogle comes running out to help you (another intro fight) and then he introduces you to his clan, and the game goes from there.....

As I said above, the game handles and looks like FFT, with some differneces. The story advances by taking missions. Sometimes certain items or conditions are needed for some of the missions. At first, the world of Ivalice is very empty. You can 'place' locations as the game goes on, and if you place them in the right order you can get hidden tresures. Defeating enemies can earn you a Job Point (JP) which can be used to do combo attacks.

Also, in battles, there is now a Law System. Some laws are in effect for some areas, like no items or no magic. Violate those laws and you get a penalty card. If it's severe enough, your charcter gets tossed in jail, where you either need to pay or pardon him. Some missions allow you to send out one person at a time, and the number of people in battle varies from area to area.

There are five races in the game and about ten starting classes that I know off. The basics are here -- Soliders, White Mage, Black Mage, Monk, Thief, Archer, Summoners, and some new ones. You are allowed to set items and also change classes, just like in FFT. The game is usually open ended on which missions you take, and you can also now and then engage in 'clan battles' with other clans.

The game has a neat option where you can set the display to what you are playing the game on for the best look -- GBA, GBA SP, or the Game Boy Player. Controls are easy to learn, and the graphics look very close to FFT, and VERY good on a handheld. Music is good enough to keep, and there's room for two save files, plus you can do a one shot battle save.

Finally, there's a multiplayer option, where you can link and fight, or trade items, but it's hidden -- you need to do something in the game or get to a certain point to unlock it.

Bottom line? If you enjoyed FFT, or just strategy games in general, get this in a heartbeat! It's well worth the $35 I paid for it. If you want a good game for your GBA, this also fits the bill nicely. Square's return to a Nintendo system was a good one indeed, and I can see the game having replay value.

Only the moogle does'nt really LOOK like a moogle in this..... :P
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Thanks for the review! Looks like I have something to buy during lunch hour today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

quick ? about this game since were on the subject, when buying new weapons at a shop is there a way to tell if it will increase your stats or not before you buy it. as far as i can tell you can't and it's really annoying me.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

As far as I know, yes -- just hit Select. Select is your best friend in this game, cause that's your 'help' button, just like it was in FFT. That will tell you some stats and who can equip it.

A little more info -- there are 'only' 24 story based missions, but if you count in the optional missions, the hidden ones, and the dispatch missions, you have about 300! And THAT does'nt even count the Multiplayer Link missions.

Oh, to unlock Multiplayer, you need to complete Story Mission 3.

You can also play again after your first game, including getting five charcters to join your band that you could'nt the first time -- including Cid. :P

Based on friends who have played the Japanese version, you can expect about 30-40 hours of playing time on this.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

40 hours is nice and all, but I heard that if you do everything, you can get up to 300 hours out of this sucker, of course that probably includes all your characters mastering all their job classes and abilitys....

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Hey, it took me over 100 hours to beat Final Fantasy Tactics.....I would say your guess is correct.

But one nice thing about the battles in FFTA as opposed to FFT is that most battles are short. You can beat them in about 10-15, top 20, minutes. No huge long battles from FFT. It's a good fit with the handheld and portable nature of the game.

Has anyone bought this?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea, I own it, and I love it, and so far, my longest battle was 53 minutes....only because I was having difficulty figuring a few things out.

Either way, it is a fantastic game, and I reccomend it to everyone.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

I got my copy yesterday at work (my employer received its shipment of the game on Tuesday at the warehouse).

It's a sweet game, although I still suck a bit at it, I still enjoy it.

Oh, don't forget: make sure Marche doesn't end up in jail or doesn't get ko'd (or turned to stone, whatever), or else it's game over.

It's simple enough for the road yet engrossing and deep enough to keep your attention focused for a long time. Which is good, since a one-way commute from my apartment to work takes at least an hour through public transit (gotta cross town to work).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm about two hours in, and I'm enjoying it just as much as I did the PlayStation game. The Neverending Story setup is kind of contrived, but the characters are appealing, and the additions to the basic Tactics system are great. I sort of miss the Tolstoy-esque elements of the first FFT, but maybe this story will surprise me later on.

Anyway, Best Buy's selling it for $29.99. Buy it before the price shoots up five bucks.

Hey, has anyone seen the commercial for FFT Advance, with the actors dressed up like the characters? I'm not sure what to make of it.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Yeah, I know the ones you mean, Kid.

My reaction?

x_x :/

What's wrong with the old aproach to games where they SHOW the game and TALK about what the game play actually IS?

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I fear we might start heading down that road of comparing games to the music industry's style of advertising...

HE GOT SHOT IN THE FACE NINE TIMES!

... blah.

Still, this game is incredible, I've got 5 hours in it, and I'm just getting a hang of the subtle nuances of the job system. The moogles (heh heh, sorry scooter) are great, and the animism class is a lot better than I thought it would be.

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm really wanting to get this game, but I'm afraid I'll hate it.

I love Advance Wars, but have never played a RPG in my life. I hear it's kind of a mix of the two. Would I like it?
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Well, it's mostly a strategy game. Compared to traditional RPGs, you don't move much in that game's world, but you battle constantly, either during missions or against rival clans.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'd put it closer to Advance Wars than FFIII, a lot closer to Advance Wars. It's a fantasy based strategy game, with some RPG elements but that basically means you have wizards and warriors. You'd probably like it.

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool. Target has the game on sale for $27.88 right now. I'll pick up a copy tomorrow & try it out before it shoots up to MSRP of $34.99.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.