View Poll Results: Which is Your Favorite?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tecmo Bowl

5 33.33%
  • Tecmo Super Bowl

10 66.67%

Thread: Which Is Better: Tecmo Bowl or Tecmo Super Bowl

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Which Is Better: Tecmo Bowl or Tecmo Super Bowl

As of late, I hear alot about current sports players that used to play Tecmo Bowl back in the day. For some reason, they always say they played Tecmo Bowl & not the far better (IMHO) Tecmo Super Bowl.

They could be getting the two confused & just leaving off the "Super," but it got me wondering if more people thought the original was better. I know some dig the SNES/Genesis versions better than the NES, but I really want to know which 8-bit version was everyone's favorite.

Oh, and feel free to share any Tecmo Bowl stories you may have. From Bo Jackson romping for 500 yds rushing to Okoye "making popcorn," you gotta love the Tecmo Bowl Series.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is so easy, Tecmo Super Bowl of course! More plays, season statistic saves(best part of the game), real NFL player rosters, same great gameplay as the original. Best Damn Football Game Ever Period.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love the original Tecmo Bowl but for some odd reason I never liked the second one. I don't know why but I won't touch the second one at all.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

I love the original Techmo Bowl! Seb and I used to play it all the time on the NES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The game play was NOT the same.

In TECMO BOWL, you had three receivers (let's not get into technical football terminology). If the receiver was covered AT ALL, it was an automatic interception. If the pass went to an uncovered receiver, it was an automatic completion. The field goal engine was absolutely pathetic, the options were about nothing, and there was only the NFLPA license.

In TECMO SUPER BOWL, you had x (varying) amount of receivers, and completions/interceptions were not only dependent on whether the person was covered, but also by the 'rating' of the quarterback and receiver, their health status, proximity of pass, etc, etc, etc. Covered receivers didn't always mean interception, and open receivers didnt' always mean completion. The field goal engine made sense (you aimed direction instead of power. power determined by abilities of kicker). There was full seasons, both NFLPA and NFL licenses, full season stats, etc. Still in my opinion the FINEST football video game EVER released. 16-bit Madden's weren't as good as even the TECMO SUPER BOWL sequels.

TECMO SUPER BOWL (SNES/GEN) = virtually same game, but with updated rosters, new 'animations', and a few updates like downing the ball in the end zone.

TECMO SUPER BOWL II and III (SNES/GEN) were similar playwise, but the engine was different, and was an attempt at making the game more of a serious football simulation than it was before. Still better than the Madden games, and I have grown to like these quite a bit, but these games are so bug-ridden that I can't play them, considering 20% of the games freeze on me at some point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

My memories of Tecmo Super Bowl are golden and sweet. I always picked the Eagles and ran my butt of with the QB (which was an unlincenced Cunningham for sure) I played the crap out that game, going to the Super Bowl and customizing my team. I absolutely love that game, and I liked it better then Tecmo Bowl due to having all the teams(at the time at least)
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gunstarhero
    This is so easy, Tecmo Super Bowl of course! More plays, season statistic saves(best part of the game), real NFL player rosters, same great gameplay as the original. Best Damn Football Game Ever Period.
    This is very true. Did anyone every play the PSX version>? I can't find it anywhere!!
    #vbender

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bo Jackson... a Tecmo god if ever there was one. Unstoppable.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

You don't want the PS One version...it's beyond definition. Ranks right down there with NFL Full Contact for the not-so-good award for "Worst PS One football game...EVER!"