Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Play your games in RGB NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Play your games in RGB NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have found a guy that will make RGB cables for pretty much every game system that is RGB capable, and he will make them to work with pretty much every RGB monitor out there.

So if anybody has always wanted to see what RGB gaming is all about, but didn't have the technical savvy to build your own RGB cables, or didn't know of any place to get custom RGB cables built, I can hook you up with the guy.

He will even do a TurboGrafx-16 RGB mod. The TurboGrafx-16 has to be altered internally to output RGB, but once it has, the resulting picture is absolutely breathtaking! I'm telling you, you have never seen colors burst off the screen like this. He charges $35 for the Turbo 16 RGB Mod. Also you can get your Turbo modded for import games at the same time for an extra 15 bucks. He will put a switch on it, that you can flip back and forth for either American or Japanesse turbo games.

As for Playstation, Super Nintendo, Genesis, Sega CD, 32X, Jaguar, Saturn and Neo Geo RGB cables, he also does those of course. Basically, what he does is build one general cable that will go to you monitor and your stereo, and then he makes ends that connect to the different systems. I think he charges 30 bucks for the first cable, and that includes the general cable and the end to one of the systems. Then future systems are typically another 15 bucks for each little connector.

For the Nintendo 64, he has supposedly learned how to modify these for RGB output. However, this is something he just learned recently, and it is a very difficult procedure, so you might want to wait until he has it perfected. This is another internal modification. With both the TurboGrafx-16 and Nintendo 64, you have to ship it to him, and then he modify's it and ships it back.

He is in Hawaii, so it can get pretty expensive to ship stuff to him. He does ship stuff out very quickly. He built me a PSone cable recently, and shipped it out to me super fast.

Also, the Playstation 1 cables also work in RGB with the PS2. So you get a 2 in 1 deal.

If anybody is interested in getting custom RGB cables made, just send me a PM and I will give you his email address. I would give his email address in this post, but he only wants to hear from people that are going to buy a cable, he gets tons of requests all the time and is super busy, and he doesn't want people asking him general RGB questions.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, RGB is delicious.
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I ever find a capable monitor I'm all over this.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NO RGB MONITOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

You generally don't need anything fancy to make your own. For example, if I am nost mistaken, to make RGB cables for the Genesis, all you need to do is solder a wire from each of the 3 pins (red, green, blue) on the back of the PCB (or insert wires into the AV port on the back) .. and connect each to the inner conductor of its own Component Video plug. Then, ground the outer conductor of each with the ground connection in the AV port, or directly to the ground trace on the board, and you're all set.

But to tell you the truth; I have been using RF for over a decade, and more recently I've rigged up my consoles to use Composite instead; and I'm really quite happy with it. If I use a picture TOO perfect it looks like an emulator, and I don't feel as much like I am playing the true console.

I appreciate the info, but in the future could you please not demand we use RGB, or make topics with 20+ exclamantion marks? Thanks.
    - Epicenter

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: NO RGB MONITOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Epicenter
    You generally don't need anything fancy to make your own. For example, if I am nost mistaken, to make RGB cables for the Genesis, all you need to do is solder a wire from each of the 3 pins (red, green, blue) on the back of the PCB (or insert wires into the AV port on the back) .. and connect each to the inner conductor of its own Component Video plug. Then, ground the outer conductor of each with the ground connection in the AV port, or directly to the ground trace on the board, and you're all set.

But to tell you the truth; I have been using RF for over a decade, and more recently I've rigged up my consoles to use Composite instead; and I'm really quite happy with it. If I use a picture TOO perfect it looks like an emulator, and I don't feel as much like I am playing the true console.

I appreciate the info, but in the future could you please not demand we use RGB, or make topics with 20+ exclamantion marks? Thanks.

O.K. I'm sorry about the exclamation marks. I know that was overboard.

As for the Genesis cable, yes it is probably the most simple of the RGB cables to make for any system, but there are still people that just don't want to screw with that stuff. They would rather pay somebody 15 bucks to make them a cable. So for those people this is a good option.

As for being happy with composite video, well, if you are happy with that then great. Personally, I think once anybody sees RGB in it's full and total glory, it will be impossible to not want RGB for everything that can do it.

It really is that good.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I know

Heh, I know-- I've seen it. I use RGB on my DVD Player, quite beautiful. And I know RGB looks like an emulator, near-perfect. I'm not gonna run out to buy a $200 RGB monitor.. in either case, I used to play all my favorites on RF, so it brings back the memories better if I see them in RF/Composite. Otherwise I just feel like I am playing an emulator.
    - Epicenter

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: I know

Quote Originally Posted by Epicenter
    Heh, I know-- I've seen it. I use RGB on my DVD Player, quite beautiful. And I know RGB looks like an emulator, near-perfect. I'm not gonna run out to buy a $200 RGB monitor.. in either case, I used to play all my favorites on RF, so it brings back the memories better if I see them in RF/Composite. Otherwise I just feel like I am playing an emulator.

you can find RGB monitors sometimes at thrifts for like 10 bucks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The issue about monitors is actually a big factor. My 33 inch TV isn't a true flat trinitron like my Sony RGB monitor, but it's bigger (Sony's 21 inches) and that helps. Sure, the Nintendo inserts say "Play on the smallest TV available" (probably 'cuz they didn't want you to see all the jaggies on the N64 ;) but I think S-Video is pretty darn nice.

A big 50+ inch presentation monitor would be nice, but would it make the game too sharp? I'm going with Yes for an answer. The fact it's on a monitor is insult enough; adding the emulator-perfect RGB output makes it too much like an emulator. Though, adding a nice big stereo system should help :D

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I really really REALLY need a RGB monitor, and soon. I'm trying to get a supergun and one that's super MVS friendly, if not a consolized MVS board. I hear they almost always have RGB out standard, so why bother converting? Argh, I also need more money, I'm tempted to sell everything that my fiancee doesn't like except my Odyssey2/TG-16/2600 stuff...

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will tell everybody that at some point I hope to come up with a list of known monitors and their model numbers that work in RGB with these systems.

That way if we are at a thrift store or flea market and we stumble onto some really old Amiga type monitors, we might know which ones will actually work and which ones won't.

I saw some monitors the other day at a thrift for 5 bucks that looked like they might have worked but I really wasn't sure. I didn't get em, and now a week later, they are gone!

Probably should have spent 5 bucks on it regardless, and if it didn't work, I'm just out 5 bucks.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Play your games in RGB NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aha! Finally tracked down this post. Always good to see what people are saying about you . Got to step in here and correct a few things, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    I have found a guy that will make RGB cables for pretty much every game system that is RGB capable, and he will make them to work with pretty much every RGB monitor out there.
    Yes, that would be me. Got to offset the rising cost of college somehow

I think he charges 30 bucks for the first cable, and that includes the general cable and the end to one of the systems. Then future systems are typically another 15 bucks for each little connector.
    Certainly not! I don't charge anywhere near that much - It's usually more like $15 and $10, respectively. Anthony, didn't you just pay $20 for your PSX cable set up?

But really, everybody's RGB setup is different, so what is best for you and how much it costs is different each time.

For the Nintendo 64, he has supposedly learned how to modify these for RGB output. However, this is something he just learned recently, and it is a very difficult procedure, so you might want to wait until he has it perfected.
    Not quite - I've been doing N64 RGB mods for a while, but I ran out of some of the neccessary parts a little while ago. I recently just got a nice big supply, though, so N64 mods will be good for the next while. I can do plenty of other mods, too - TG16s and N64s are just the tip of the iceberg

N64 rgb mods aren't particularly difficult, BTW.

He is in Hawaii, so it can get pretty expensive to ship stuff to him.
    Shipping to Hawaii isn't expensive - it costs the same as anywhere else in the US. Obviously it might not be as cheap as sending something within your own state, but it's no more costly than sending something from, say, Arizona to New York.

If anybody is interested in getting custom RGB cables made, just send me a PM and I will give you his email address. I would give his email address in this post, but he only wants to hear from people that are going to buy a cable, he gets tons of requests all the time and is super busy, and he doesn't want people asking him general RGB questions.
    Hey, I never said that! I don't mind people e-mailing me at all, and I get plenty of spam already so having my e-mail address here won't make a difference. If anyone wants RGB cables (or other cables), don't feel shy about asking.

My e-mail address is the_matthew@yahoo.ca. It's probably better to e-mail me as opposed to sending PMs, since I don't check this forum a whole lot.

Oh, and here's a handy list of 15khz RGB monitors:
    http://www.msxpro.com/mon15khz.html

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Matt, sweet to see you on these forums. I didn't know that you were a Digital Press member!

Sorry about any of the false statements that I made. Yes, I know the PSone cable that I got off of you was 20 bucks. The reason that I said 30 bucks, is because I figured that you charged more for the first cable and then less for the little connectors to go to different systems.

Also, I always thought that shipping to a place like Hawaii or Alaska was always more than to one of the 48 lower states. My bad.

As for giving out your email, I just didn't know if you wanted people contacting you unless they were really serious about getting a cable.

So anyways, sorry about all those mistakes about you, but I'm glad to see that you are on these forums occasionally, and that maybe occasionally you can drop in and answer some questions on RGB and RGB monitors and stuff.

You are a dream come true for alot of us, ever since Redmond Cable stopped making RGB video game cables. Acutally, you are much better than Redmond (their prices were super high). I think that you can help out alot of people on this site. Nobody should be more interested in RGB gaming than Retro Gamers. I mean these are gamers that are truly in love with systems like the TurboGrafx, Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo. Systems like the Jaguar and Sega Saturn. And all of these systems can look absolutely amazing in glorious RGB.

It's just alot of people don't really know much about RGB, and what they've heard is that they need to make some custom cables for it, and they don't know the first thing about making cables, so they've never really explored gaming in RGB.

But with you, we have a guy that can make us cables for a decent price. So that takes one of the biggest headaches out of the entire situation. Finding the actual cables was the hardest part.

Anyways Matt, great to see you on these boards.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Re: Play your games in RGB NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    Aha! Finally tracked down this post. Always good to see what people are saying about you . Got to step in here and correct a few things, though!
    Welcome to the forums there, Matt!

We like new people. If you have a moment, please introduce yourself at this thread:
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11

Enjoy your stay!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Lemme step in here...hey Matt. For those of you who remember my supergun project, this was the guy who made my RGB convertor for my supergun. The price was reasonable, service was fast, he answered all my questions quickly, etc., etc.

In other words...he gets the...

Nice to see you around Matt...hope you decide to stay.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anthony, don't worry - I wasn't upset It's been a while since we last spoke, so I can't expect you to remember everything.

I haven't posted here before, but I do read the threads occasionally.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll be contacting you once I manage to locate an actual rgb monitor...
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are some damn good RGB monitors on Ebay. I'm talking 20, 25 inch RGB monitors that are top of the line. Only problem is the shipping. Some of these monitors are used in hospitals and stuff, and just happen to work with video game systems in RGB. They are industrial grade and are also used in video production facilities.

I'm currently trying to win an auction on a sweet 20 inch RGB monitor from Sony. I'm thinking that I can win the auction for under 70 bucks, but the shipping could be 4 times that. But this is a monitor that normally would be a 2 thousand dollar monitor brand new. I'm talking professional grade.

So I probably will end up spending $350 or so, when all is said and done, but I will have an absolutely kick ass RGB monitor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

this rgb stuff is all new to me. can someone point out a website or another thread that explains this pretty well?

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    There are some damn good RGB monitors on Ebay. I'm talking 20, 25 inch RGB monitors that are top of the line. Only problem is the shipping. Some of these monitors are used in hospitals and stuff, and just happen to work with video game systems in RGB. They are industrial grade and are also used in video production facilities.

Yeah, I've been keeping an eye out for them. I'm waiting for one to pop up someplace within a driving distance so I don't have to pay to ship a 300lb piece of sensitive equipment. It may take a while but I'm in no rush.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Quote Originally Posted by lucavi
    this rgb stuff is all new to me. can someone point out a website or another thread that explains this pretty well?
    I think this should help...

http://www.ntsc-uk.com/tech.php?tech=TvCompatibility

Also explains the various connections you can have to a TV, and stuff to do with PAL and NTSC...