Thread: Oldschool VS. Out-Dated

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Oldschool VS. Out-Dated

Post your picks for the Era/consoles/Genre that you think has aged like fine wine as wells as the ones that smell like old socks.

Personaly I have a hard time gettinf into the PSone era. When I bought my PS2 (my first system since NES) I was jazzed that I could look for PSone burried treasure, Unfortunately most of the 3D PS1 games leave me flat.

I realize they were cutting edge for the time but compared to the PS2 they seem crude and akward. I picked up a couple of of Tooomb Raider titles, and such but all the while I was playing them I wished I was playing a PS2 game.

I think the NES has aged much better: I was arguably the pinnacle of 8-bit gaming for many as well as the proverbial "Cherry Popper" for many gamers. The game engines and graphics seem fresh still today.

To make a long story short, I think that the 8-bit era games provide
    a "escape" or "alternative" to some of todays Next Gen Dazzle.

Whatta Yoo think??

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I agree, the PS One is hard to go back to after playing the next gen stuff. Same for the Saturn and Sega CD.

Anything Genesis, SNES, and most of all, NES, have aged gracefully. The pre NES consoles have also aged rather well, but not quite as well.

Also, here's a similar topic:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18410
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    I agree, the PS One is hard to go back to after playing the next gen stuff. Same for the Saturn and Sega CD.

Anything Genesis, SNES, and most of all, NES, have aged gracefully. The pre NES consoles have also aged rather well, but not quite as well.

Also, here's a similar topic:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18410
    And some things are harder on the PS ONE then on SNES/GENES (i.e Lemmings 3-D vs. Lemmings) (Bubsy 3-D vs. Bubsy)
    #vbender

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never really cared for the Playstation games that relied heavily on (for the time) high-poly interactive 3-D environments. Tomb Raider, Spyro, etc. Since I've always preferred the Playstation's 2-D games, puzzle games, and games that relied on more atmospheric and/or psychedelic graphics, in my view the Playstation is aging quite well.

I might add that the only "sports" games that have ever been in my Playstation are Ballblazer Champions and Blast Chamber.

Now the NES, well, I won't go there.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I think what hurts most 3D Playstation titles isn't the low poly count but the resolution, the jaggies, etc. A bunch of that and the whole screen looks like a mess. That's my opinion- I've never used a PS2 but from what I understand there are options to smooth that problem out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've found that most of the polygon-sporting PlayStation releases that impressed me back in the day (Vagrant Story, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil 2, Fear Effect 2) still look decent today. The first-generation stuff is harder to look at, but I was never too enamored of early 3-D titles to begin with.

It's much the same on the NES. Games that inspired awe with their visuals back in the days of the NES Empire (Ninja Gaiden II, Battletoads, Super Mario Bros. 3) remain easy on the eyes, while titles like Conquest of the Crystal Palace, The Krion Conquest, and Clash at Demonhead seem cruder than they once did.

Then again, dated graphics aren't always a turn-off. When I dug out Burning Rangers the other day, I actually found its shaky, glitch-ridden 3-D look kind of nostalgic.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I wanna go back in time I would rather play a PS1 2D side scroller or platformer type of game.

When I first played Tomb raider it made me feel kinda dizzy and I had a real hard time opening doors and pulling levers. I played for 10 minutes and stopped forever.

I do know there are good puzzle games and arcade pots out there that still interest me and I am still digging.

I think a another thing that bugs me is that I have these cool anolog thumbsticks that I cant use for PS1.

All that aside I am still planning on picing up Metal Gear Solid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think some of the 3D games on PS1 that still look pretty good like Driver (but there's also a whole boatload that look like crap and have bad control like Die Hard Trilogy) and I still enjoy playing some of the FPSs like Medal of Honor. There's also a ton of choice 2D games like Castlevania (both SOTN and Chronicles), Metal Slug, GTA2, SFA3, etc. With how many PS1 games there are out there, there's bound to be a lot of crap, but there's some good stuff also if you hunt.

I think the above could be applied to a lot of the older systems, like for instance a lot of the NES games look horrible now due to things like sprite flickering, but there are still some games that look good, and more importantly, still fun to play.

Probably part of the reason that the NES games might seem "fresh" to you is that games nowadays seem to be pretty limited in genre, as in there's maybe 5 or 6 that constantly get put out, like sports, FPS, platform, RPG... whereas on the NES you had so many games, and it seemed most anything would sell so developers (of which there were much more back then) were willing to try new things. Nowadays with the costs of developing games escalating, developers are for the most part afraid to try anything off the beaten path.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe I am just an old fart.

When I play NES it reminds me of hanging out with my Trailer Trash friends and playing Castlevania.

The new stuff makes me feel like a kid in a Candy store, but the In-between stuff gives me that "I guess you had to be there" feeling.

Although....a GBA does seem tempting some of those 16-bit games look fun. I have very little experience with that era outisde of playing Mortal Kombat with roomies. I was eventually banned from playin the purple chick that dropped thru the floor and fell outta the sky.

In my day turkeys were called WALKING BIRDS.......

Pretzel (Level 4) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Duncan1800
    PSN
    Duncan1800

Play Tomba! or Mega Man 8 on the PS1 for good examples of what it can do.

Play the first couple of Tomb Raiders for good examples of what it can't.

Duncan

PS: Seriously, just play Tomba! anyway. It's an excellent and oft-overlooked little platformer.
    Active systems owned: Wii, X360, PS3
    Inactive systems owned: RCA, INTV2, NES, SMS, Genesis, Lynx, SNES, Saturn, PS1, GBC, DC, PS2, GBA, Xbox, GC, PSP, DS
    Systems wanted: Coleco, 7800, TG16, GG, 3DS, Vita, WiiU

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Could the dreaded nostalgia play a roll? Best not to consider this. I collect very casually for the PS1 and have found that the ratio of really bad to the not so bad to the very good to be far the opposite to the NES. I do like some of the games but I have to say I am far in away more interested in games for other systems. It may be a function of the library of quality games versus the actual graphics. Many games seem to loom larger in the WOW factor than the game play warrants. Everyone can think of that game they first fired up but have never returned to replay. I think more and more younger players are realizing this and are seeking out classic titles that have a high replay and game value.

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

ABout the Playstation being hard to go back to, I beg to differ. I've had quite a bit of fun with the 3D titles on the PS1, most notably Battle Arena Toshinden, IQ, and Twisted Metal 3 (I may be the only who enjoyed ANY of those games, but oh well).

But as much fun as I've had with the 32-bit consoles, and with the 8-bitters, I have to say the era that has aged the best from my POV would be the 16-bit generation. The graphics on games like Rocket Knight Adventures, Super Mario World, and Comix Zone have aged so very well and are still so much fun, even to the people I know just getting into collecting and classic gaming. 16-bit was the greatest generation. Genesis, SNES, TG-16 (if you count it), and all that, it's simply the best.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Two system I think aged very well:

Turbo Grafx

Neo Geo.

Anyone want to contradict? ;-)

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the Old School systems when I need a " quick fix ".
    The new systems games just take to dang long.
    Just let me pop in Super Mario Bros, Tetris, or R-Type for a few minutes and it's ALL GOOD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Two system I think aged very well:

Turbo Grafx

Neo Geo.

Anyone want to contradict? ;-)

-AG

Anyone who would contradict those would be a fucking liar!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd hazard to say most of the N64 library could be considered out-dated. It's pretty painful to play it these days.

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by punkoffgirl
    I'd hazard to say most of the N64 library could be considered out-dated. It's pretty painful to play it these days.
    Amen Sister !!!
    I get a headache trying to play them now. I wonder how I ever got through Mario 64