Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Default PS2 failure rate

I'm curious about this, as over on my forum more than one person has complained about their PS2 just dying for no apparent reason. Mine works fine, for now, but I'm curious as to how many people here that own a PS2 have had it die on them - and maybe even an explanation as to why this happens.

If this has already been covered elsewhere, please point me there and delete this thread.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It not only has been covered, but there is a poll happening right now. Check the posts.

It is amazing to me that from the poll data, the ps2 has around a 50% failure rate in it's short life. That sucks. This is why I wil wait until it is below $100 to buy it. By then, they might have all the bugs sorted out.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Okay, I'll go check it out. Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Deftonian
    PSN
    Detonian90
    3DS Friend
    1805-3053-7836

Quote Originally Posted by Masco73
    It not only has been covered, but there is a poll happening right now. Check the posts.

It is amazing to me that from the poll data, the ps2 has around a 50% failure rate in it's short life. That sucks. This is why I wil wait until it is below $100 to buy it. By then, they might have all the bugs sorted out.
    thats gonna be soon, i heard there going to try to clear out all the ps2's for the upcoming psx

Pretzel (Level 4) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Duncan1800
    PSN
    Duncan1800

Quote Originally Posted by Slipdeath

thats gonna be soon, i heard there going to try to clear out all the ps2's for the upcoming psx
    Wait a minute...I'd heard that the PSX would be sort of a supplement/upgrade to the standard PS2, rather than a total replacement.

The PSX is supposed to cost something like $400 to $500...

And if the PS2 were a car, it would have been recalled about 25 times by now and the world would be carrying torches to Sony's door asking them to get their menace off the roads. :P

Duncan
    Active systems owned: Wii, X360, PS3
    Inactive systems owned: RCA, INTV2, NES, SMS, Genesis, Lynx, SNES, Saturn, PS1, GBC, DC, PS2, GBA, Xbox, GC, PSP, DS
    Systems wanted: Coleco, 7800, TG16, GG, 3DS, Vita, WiiU

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan

Wait a minute...I'd heard that the PSX would be sort of a supplement/upgrade to the standard PS2, rather than a total replacement.

The PSX is supposed to cost something like $400 to $500...

And if the PS2 were a car, it would have been recalled about 25 times by now and the world would be carrying torches to Sony's door asking them to get their menace off the roads. :P

Duncan
    Yet ANOTHER reason to buy an Xbox rather than a PS2! OK, OK call me a fan boi! Or you could just play your Dreamcasts!
    DC--- It's STILL thinking....!!

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Actually all the current model PS2's are on their way out to make way for a model with a power button on the remote (ARGH, HOW I LONG FOR THEE), IR ports and a quieter fan. It's bound to have longevity upgrades after all the flack Sony has taken for it... right? :/

Not the PSX, the new PS2. It'll look the exact same, just be better and even support progressive scan. At least that's what I'm told, haven't actually done any research.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

#1: The poll elsewhere in the forums is NOT, in any way, representative of the big picture. It's interesting and informative, but most definitely "for entertainment purposes only."

#2: As pointed out by Raedon (thank you, Raedon!) in another thread, recent models of PS2s are much less prone to failure than early models. If you go out and buy a PS2 today, you'll get a later model.

#3: The PS2 won't drop under $100 for a long, long while yet, and if Raedon's info is accurate, the bugs have already been sorted out.

#4: The PS2 will NOT be replaced by the PSX. The PSX is an ultra-high-end PS2 and a testbed for PS3 features, aimed at electronics whores as opposed to gaming whores, and Sony is marketing it in a completely different way.

-- Z.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zmeston

#1: The poll elsewhere in the forums is NOT, in any way, representative of the big picture. It's interesting and informative, but most definitely "for entertainment purposes only."
    Don't belittle the polls for entertainment purposes only. It's more than that, and it's more than mere anecdotal evidence.

I know statistics, I just ran 6 time series-regression analyses with Stata before I read your comment. I know the limits of this simplistic poll, but it certainly gives you a trend for sure!!!

The cases are not randomly chosen, the Q isn't broken down into categories, neither did I choose a Q in dialogue form which proved to be more reliable for your fancy pantsy statisticians out there, and there won't be 800 to 1000 cases, ...the list of deficits is long

however:

- it targets System owners which frequent one of the most poular videogame websites

- the age range is pretty good, and the regional variety is pretty good, although not represnetative and might be biased (goes for other socio-demographics as well)

- even with the low number of cases (around 30 to 80) with non-quality variables I can run even a simple difference of means test in order to determine if there is a statistically significant difference between the groups.

In lack of any relaible "big picture" data (meaning how many repairs of a system, which repairs, for different regions) a trend isn't so bad. Additionally, sometimes impressions and your gut feeling based on real-life experiences are sometimes a good way to go, as every politician knows in an election campaign despite sophisticated polling.

It seems so far that there are "probs" with the PS2 to a much higher degree compared to the other systems, despite the wide range of probs without clarification, hardware-software misunderstandings and so on. It will certainly give you an interesting trend, not just an entertaining read

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

me wonders stupid things, i never read manuals

do i need to turn it off with the back power switch or can i just leave it be for days with that front LED on?

does using it in the vertical standing position have any effect on its lifespan?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you turned off the back switch, you'd be the one and only person ever to turn off the switch. When I unplug the system, I try to remember to flip the switch, but unless you're concerned about a tiny increase in the electric bill, I don't think you need to worry about it.

Pretzel (Level 4) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Duncan1800
    PSN
    Duncan1800

Quote Originally Posted by christianscott27

do i need to turn it off with the back power switch or can i just leave it be for days with that front LED on?

does using it in the vertical standing position have any effect on its lifespan?
    It's supposed to be more reliable and run cooler when it's vertical, though I doubt there's any strong evidence to support that. But I'm sure someone will disagree...

Duncan
    Active systems owned: Wii, X360, PS3
    Inactive systems owned: RCA, INTV2, NES, SMS, Genesis, Lynx, SNES, Saturn, PS1, GBC, DC, PS2, GBA, Xbox, GC, PSP, DS
    Systems wanted: Coleco, 7800, TG16, GG, 3DS, Vita, WiiU

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

a few things..........

if i run my ps2 non-vertical in the glovebox of my car will it run hotter and cause problems? i may consider changing that.......but the fan is vented out the back of the glovebox.........

i don't think the ps2 is what it should be. a good gaming console it is, a solid system it isn't. give me all the figures you want but i've still seen way too many problems for ps2's for it to be solid. a solid system is more like a dreamcast or even the original playstation(which still had problems with the bearings to hold the cd in busting out).

a few things kind of off topic, but why does everybody pick apart the xbox so hard. i always hear......i have a PC......or it's so loud. so what.....is it just because it's made by microsoft or what? you have a pc which is louder than an xbox and an xbox surely isn't a pc otherwise microsoft never would have created it(yes i realize the internals of an xbox).

i think the console world has turned into an all out war, and nobody creates the best system they can.......it's just a rush. they want it out by christmas.....it happens every time. the only company that has built a solid machine is nintendo......and although i love my gamecube, i just don't see the games going anywhere. they need to pick it up a little......so like i said......kind of off topic......but it kind of fits as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kevincure
    If you turned off the back switch, you'd be the one and only person ever to turn off the switch. When I unplug the system, I try to remember to flip the switch, but unless you're concerned about a tiny increase in the electric bill, I don't think you need to worry about it.
    Not true! I flip the switch off EVERY SINGLE TIME I'm done using the PS2. I just feel that it's easier on the system, so I've always turned it off after every use. I have a release PS2...maybe that's part of why it's lasted so long? I also never play DVDs or music CDs in it, and I've stored it vertically since the day it was purchased. All anecdotal evidence of course, but some of us DO turn off taht damnable switch in the back EVERY time. I've never left my PS2 on after I was down with it, not even once.

On a completely unrelated note, I hate the placement of the power switch on the PS2, because it's so inconvenient to flip!
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin
    - it targets System owners which frequent one of the most poular videogame websites
    With all due respect to Joe and everyone involved with the care and feeding of digitpress.com, I wouldn't categorize it as "one of the most popular videogame websites."

- the age range is pretty good, and the regional variety is pretty good, although not represnetative and might be biased (goes for other socio-demographics as well)
    MIGHT BE biased?! I guarantee that people who don't even own PS2s are voting "Yes, I've had a problem with mine." Such is the strange sickness of system loyalty.

-- Z.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords
    On a completely unrelated note, I hate the placement of the power switch on the PS2, because it's so inconvenient to flip!
    There is (or most likely WAS -- I can't imagine it's still in production) a peripheral called the "Power Switch Relocator," which addressed your very concern. It was a Rube Goldberg-ian device with a switch on the front that "connected" to the power switch on the back. I mocked it mercilessly in my review, not thinking someone would actually complain about taking the extra two seconds to reach behind his or her PS2. Ahem.

-- Z.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only thing I know that at 2 local video games stores they reccomend you get an extended warrenty when you buy a PS2 and at a nearby EBX they had as many as 50 PS2 returns in 1 day

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christianscott27

I noticed that after about a year, the drive tray started to sag and not open as smoothly anymore.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

#2: As pointed out by Raedon (thank you, Raedon!) in another thread, recent models of PS2s are much less prone to failure than early models. If you go out and buy a PS2 today, you'll get a later model.
    Your second point kind of cancels out your first, don't you think? You've been claiming for a while that the PS2 failure rate has been overexaggerated, but in the same breath you admit that the new PS2s are less likely to malfunction than the first models. So it would seem that there really IS a problem with these consoles breaking, a problem that Sony has only recently addressed.
    Personally speaking, I've never had any trouble getting my own Playstation systems to work properly. I've run into problems with friends' systems, and rental systems, however. The editor of Game Zero (and now Polymer City Chronicles) told me that he went through four original Playstations, and it was almost impossible to make his fifth work. I had lots of "fun" trying to get his copy of Namco Museum 2 to run on that piece of junk.
    I really do think there's an issue with faulty Playstations and Playstation 2s. Sony's been trying to sweep the problem under the rug for years. That bothers me, but it's even more frustrating to watch other people do it, even if it's in the name of objectivity. The sad fact is, not all systems are created equal, and Sony's are generally a lot worse than their competitors.

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ManekiNeko

Your second point kind of cancels out your first, don't you think? You've been claiming for a while that the PS2 failure rate has been overexaggerated, but in the same breath you admit that the new PS2s are less likely to malfunction than the first models. So it would seem that there really IS a problem with these consoles breaking, a problem that Sony has only recently addressed.
    How does #2 cancel #1?

Yes, I believe that the failure rate for PS2s has been exaggerated, due to the sheer numbers of PS2s out there. Six times as many PS2s as the competition = six times more failures, as a matter of course.

Incidentally, I believe that the GameCube "fails" less than the other consoles primarily because it doesn't have a CD/DVD tray. We've all heard the joke about the new PC owner who calls tech support and asks about the built-in retractable drink holder, right?

No, I don't believe that a website poll of 50 or 60 people reflects much of anything, for many many MANY reasons (and many of which the pollster, to his credit, concedes in his wrap-up post).

Yes, I believe (not "admit" -- yeesh) that newer PS2s fail less frequently than older models, a belief reinforced both by Raedon's info and the fact that consoles are always tweaked and improved over their production cycles. Doesn't mean I believe that earlier PS2s were malfunctioning at a scandalous rate, or that Sony is involved in a conspiracy to hide that fact.

-- Z.