Thread: Daimakaimura/GnG Genesis/MD versus NEC SuperGrafx

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Daimakaimura/GnG Genesis/MD versus NEC SuperGrafx

So you boot up both versions and your immediate response is -- Yuck, the SuperGrafx version has a rather less forgiving palette, and the sounds are off!

Well, it's been noted that the SuperGrafx version has more level details than the Genesis version, such as the tree stump-bridges and other details seen around the end of level one.

The Sega designers weren't working on a level playing field, though...their version uses a 640 kilobyte ROM and the SuperGrafx version uses a 1 Megabyte ROM! I recently read that somebody believes both used a 2 MB ROM -- that's certainly not true.

Until next time, this is Ed singing off this edition of "Cart Sizes and The People Who Believe They Changed the World."

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I'm a stranger to this Super Grafx business. Any chance some side by side screenshot comparisons could be made? Always loved the Genesis Ghouls N Ghosts port but have yet to see the Super Grafx version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The odd thing...I SAW a side-by-side comparison recently, the author says he believes (or believed, before he reads this thread ;) that both cart sizes are 2.0MB.

That said, it COULD be that the SGX version gets weaker later on, though I doubt it. After all, the main push for Sega was to look just the same as the arcade for the first few screens...the number of people who'd notice differences further along than that BEFORE they bought the game would've been small, and the number of people who could say "hey! They put a big 0 in place of the final boss!" would be correspondingly diminished.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got them both...the Genesis version has slightly more colors and definitely better sound. The Supergrafx version has more animation to it. For instance in the first level, the trees really shake and bend at the windy part and the boss (the green guy in armor holding his head) has an intro animation missing in the genesis version. Many of the characters have extra animation or look a bit different. Both versions are awesome and it really is kind of a toss up, though the great music in the Genesis version and the fact that it was one of my first Genesis games makes it my favorite. If you want the perfect arcade version buy the Capcom Generation 2 for the Saturn (import). It has the arcade versions of Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Ghosts 'n Goblins, and a port of the SNES Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts.
    Click here for my game list, including pictures.
    Currently playing on my Xperia Play: Nectaris: Military Madness (PSX), Chrono Trigger (SNES)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

How about the GBC version?
    ________
    Weed vaporizer
    Last edited by J'orfeaux; 04-01-2011 at 05:56 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho
    That's the wrong game; that's a pretty poor port of the already terrible (I don't care what anybody says, this game controls AWFUL) NES Ghosts 'n Goblins; which is the first in the series. In Japan, that's Makaimura = Ghosts 'n Goblins, and Daimakaimura = Ghouls 'n Ghosts = second in the series. Of course I'd pick the NES game up if I found it complete, but it's not gonna occupy the highest spot in my collection.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

How DARE you insult Ghosts and Goblins!

One of the BEST NES games, IMHO. A very frustrating game but a lot of fun. Hard to beat, but fun the whole way. The GBC version is a DEAD ON port of the NES classic.

Super Ghosts and Goblins -- is that what's it called? -- one of the launch games for the SNES -- that was a lot of fun also.

So how does Ghouls and Ghosts compare to Ghosts and Goblins? I'm not sure I've ever played that one.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

If anyone wants to write up detailed comparisons on any of the G'NG games for my G'NG site, The Ghoul Realm, please let me know, either here or using the email address listed on my site. Link's down below, for those that are interested.

Oh, and it was Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts, not Super Ghosts 'N Goblins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    That's the wrong game; that's a pretty poor port of the already terrible (I don't care what anybody says, this game controls AWFUL) NES Ghosts 'n Goblins; which is the first in the series. In Japan, that's Makaimura = Ghosts 'n Goblins, and Daimakaimura = Ghouls 'n Ghosts = second in the series. Of course I'd pick the NES game up if I found it complete, but it's not gonna occupy the highest spot in my collection.
    I thought it had levels from Ghouls 'n Ghosts as well. (Or maybe just Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts.) And that it had some nearly impossible unlockables.
    ________
    No2 review
    Last edited by J'orfeaux; 04-01-2011 at 05:57 AM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The arcade version of Ghosts and Goblins is pretty decent. The Nes version IMO is terrible. It's very jerky, and the game's controls feel very sluggish. The arcade version is a lot smoother, and the controls definately feel a lot better.

To be honest though, I greatly prefer Ghouls and Ghosts, and Super Ghouls and Ghosts over the original. Both games are very difficult, but feel a lot more balanced than the first did, and aren't as frustrating.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

I thought it had levels from Ghouls 'n Ghosts as well. (Or maybe just Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts.) And that it had some nearly impossible unlockables.
    You're thinking of Super G'NG for the GBA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    How DARE you insult Ghosts and Goblins!
    As it well deserves!

It WAS an advanced arcade game for the time, but terribly buggy. Those bugs were translated over to the NES, and the even less responsive controls don't help things either. Awesome for a 1985 title, but definitely lacking the polish of an Akumajo Dracula.

The GBC version is a DEAD ON port of the NES classic.
    I also hear that people find themselves dead quite often from attacks by offscreen enemies -- the screen on the GBC is smaller, yet the game mechanics haven't changed to compensate for that. If you know GnG in and out this might not be such a problem, but there you have it.

Super Ghosts and Goblins -- is that what's it called? -- one of the launch games for the SNES -- that was a lot of fun also.
    I agree, it's fun. I don't know anybody who can get through it alive though, and I've only managed it through cursed emulation. That said, Demon's Crest/Demon's Blazon is a much better game in terms of playability.

Now the game which has Ghouls 'n Ghosts levels is the GameBoy Advance Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts. THAT title has a "remix" mode which lets you play levels out of order, has new bosses, and other things besides. Of course, I haven't managed to get through the first level, since it IS a GnG after all and must be played on a decent difficulty level.