Thread: Classic Gaming Expo story in Game Informer (sort of...)

Pretzel (Level 4) Goodwill Hunter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Classic Gaming Expo story in Game Informer (sort of...)

Just got my October GI in the mail, and it features 3 pages on the 2003 CGE. And while 3 pages may seem like a lot, they only covered the items in the museum and in the auction, and literally said not one word about the event itself.

Two full pages on the museum items, and one page on the auction items & prices with nothing but cut-out photos of the items themselves. If you flipped to the 3rd page about the auction first, you'd have no idea that it was the CGE auction they were talking about. No photos of attendees, no photos of the actual event or the items in an actual event setting.

You'd think with 3 pages for the story, they could have at least had a sidebar somewhere about the event itself. If you aren't familiar with the event, GI gives you no idea of what it's about, who puts it on or who attends. Nice museum pics, but a very poor effort on the part of the magazine...the premiere classic gaming event in the nation deserves far better coverage IMHO.

Rich
    Tomorrow's Past is Yesterday's Future Today!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I got my issue in the mail a few days back, I also noticed that.

But I commend them for at least doing SOMETHING for the classic gamers out there, lackluster or not, I give them credit for trying.

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

I do like the usual coverage of classic or neo-classic gaming goodness covered in the back pages of GI. Also, the first year that I saw them cover CGE (it may have been their first year covering it, I'm not sure: 2000) was the MAIN reason that I got interested in attending. That was WAY before I visited this site for the first time.

So even if this year's coverage leaves a bit to be decided, I thank thee GI.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree, the coverage good have been better, They could have gone more into the event itself as a social event, the atmosphere, panel discussions, etc.

On the other hand, a moderate covering is better than none, and to deliver three pages(!) with rare items might spark the curiosity of younger games. Overall, not bad at all, although it could have been better.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought they did a horrible job, although it was cool to see that they listed stuff I won. Thye mad a couple of spelling errors. Incase no one else noticed they said that Revenge of the beefsteak tomatoes was never released for the 2600. WHich it was by 20th century fox. Poorly done column, with poor editing. I much prefer Joe's Collectors Closest in Tips and Tricks. But still cool to see that CGE is getting the recogntion it deserves.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You'll also see in the "Etc" section they spell it Howard Scott "Warsaw"- even after printing his name (correctly) & pic on the "GI Spy" page near the front!

I ssupect it's Reiner's fault somehow...
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Would someone be so kind as to scan this in for the site? I was supposed to receive this issue but at this point it's looking pretty unlikely. I also had a subscription that seems to have expired at a most inopportune time!

I've got a placeholder on the CGE page for the column, good or bad. I'd really appreciate if someone could take a few minutes to share it. If you can, please send the scans to digitalpress@email.com. Thank you!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Joe,

If you still need this issue, I am pretty sure that I still have it. Send me an email at mcgrail0007@netzero.net with your address and I will mail it to you.

Sean

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought they did an ok job for not being a classic game magazine. I really liked that they had the auction prices for stuff, since i couldnt attend the auction part of CGE.

Also i do prefer Joe's section on T&T over GI's, but i was kind of dissapointed that last months only had 1 page. Are you running out of ideas Joe? :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    gruffbear
    PSN
    gruffbear
    Steam
    gruffbear

Hey, at least Game Informer actually did a story..I saw Chris Johnston and Phil Theobald from Ziff-Davis Media at the show and they didn't print anything. Not only that, but EGM did print the article with the kids playing/trashing classic games discussed elsewhere on this forum. Didn't see anything on their website about either of the last two shows.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

l_lamb: Patience... We decided to wait on covering it in EGM until we could devote more space to it, since honestly, the people who need the news from CGE frequent this board or went to the show and the rest of the stuff isn't *that* time-sensitive. So instead of crapping out a piece on it in a week to meet our deadline, I took a bit more time and we ended up doing two pages on it in our December 2003 issue.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by SuperPac
    l_lamb: Patience... We decided to wait on covering it in EGM until we could devote more space to it, since honestly, the people who need the news from CGE frequent this board or went to the show and the rest of the stuff isn't *that* time-sensitive. So instead of crapping out a piece on it in a week to meet our deadline, I took a bit more time and we ended up doing two pages on it in our December 2003 issue.
    COOL! I'm looking forward to seeing that.

So who are you, EGM stranger?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress

Chris Johnston, News Editor and retro gaming fan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default my stuff

Actually they pictured a bunch of my stuff without my permission. Perhaps that entitles me to some review copies of some games, aka 'prototypes.' Kidding!

It wasn't a great promo for the show, but it's nice to see classic coverage at all. If you read GI (and I do, cover to cover, except for the features, which I find kind of slathering), the make alot of classic references. I respect the staff, not only for writing an entertaining rag, but for having a grip on their classic chops. It's the only vid game magazine I actually read. I should check out Joe's Tips/Tricks thing, but I've always been discouraged by the Tips/Tricks part, since I don't really use much in the realm of cheats or help, except for the occasional workaround for something I am just up against a wall with.

ian

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Oh, howdy, Chris!

I missed you at CGE somehow. Glad to see you lurking about here, though

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

Default Re: my stuff

Quote Originally Posted by ianoid
    Actually they pictured a bunch of my stuff without my permission. Perhaps that entitles me to some review copies of some games, aka 'prototypes.' Kidding!

It wasn't a great promo for the show, but it's nice to see classic coverage at all. If you read GI (and I do, cover to cover, except for the features, which I find kind of slathering), the make alot of classic references. I respect the staff, not only for writing an entertaining rag, but for having a grip on their classic chops. It's the only vid game magazine I actually read. I should check out Joe's Tips/Tricks thing, but I've always been discouraged by the Tips/Tricks part, since I don't really use much in the realm of cheats or help, except for the occasional workaround for something I am just up against a wall with.

ian
    I hear ya definately, I'm not much of a tips/tricks guy myself, but it's always good to pick up a copy, since IMO it's worth it just to read the Collector's Corner. Especially the articles where Joe breaks down the "most collectible" games for whatever system is being covered. I can't get enough of those.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh, howdy, Chris!
    And ANOTHER old faned joins the forums. Yay!
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Pretzel (Level 4) Goodwill Hunter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just got my December EGM in the mail today(5 different LOTR covers?...I got Gimli, collect 'em all!) and I must compliment you on the CGE article! About the same space that GI devoted to the event, but ten times the coverage.

Loved the timeline take on the day and great pictures throughout! Nice mix of product and people...and instead of no-context pics of game boxes, most images had their own little story. From the developer signing the copy of E.T., to the girl playing Ms. Pacman, and my favorite, the trade briefcase! (Reminded me of Ian's tradebait-filled luggage).

Kudos on the nice piece...well worth the wait!

Rich
    Tomorrow's Past is Yesterday's Future Today!