Thread: Ninja Masters MVS Shock Box Insert

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ninja Masters MVS Shock Box Insert

Not sure if everyone knows about this, but someone that goes by the name of BIG BEAR over at the ng.com forums, came up with an idea to make plastic cases to hold loose MVS carts. His site is http://www.netreach.net/~scop/

People started making inserts for various games, to achieve a sort of homecart look for the games while they're sitting on the shelf. Example - http://www.buttasuperb.com/mvs.jpg Now there isn't inserts made for every game, as I found out after a couple hours of looking for a Ninja Masters insert, so I finally stopped being lazy for a bit, and made an insert for maybe the most underrated Neo Geo game, Ninja Masters.

Full Size PDF and JPG files - http://www.buttasuperb.com/cps2mvs/nm.zip

Smaller preview JPG - http://www.buttasuperb.com/cps2mvs/nmsmall.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Ninja Masters MVS Shock Box Insert

That is one really cool insert!

And yes, Ninja Master's (you have to include the unnecessary apostrophe ;) is certainly one of the most...THE most, actually...underrated Neo Geo game.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    (you have to include the unnecessary apostrophe
    hehe, I knew someone would catch me on that.

Ed is right, NM is more than most likely the most underrated Neo game there is. If you're a fighting game fan and have a way to play MVS, I suggest tracking down this game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I can't think of anything else. Cyber Lip and 8-Man are great games, good as a lot of their contemporaries (much better graphically than most) but they aren't better than Ninja Master's yet share about as much fame. I'd say the closest thing would be the Shock Troopers games, or maybe one of the shooters. Hard to say.

All I know is that I was highly impressed when I saw the intro for the first time :)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oh...where's your sig pic from, anyways? o_O don't blame me for not knowing...

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

First off, damn fine image there, really crisp and I bet it looks sweet printed. My only gripe would be that the character profiles and screenshots in the back are misaligned vertically and horizontally by a few pixels, something the naked eye probably doesn't even pick up looking at the actual print output.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh...where's your sig pic from, anyways? o_O don't blame me for not knowing...
    I think it's from a cover of a recent Arcadia magazine. I believe the artists name is falcoon. Same artist who drew this:

BAZAMBAS!

And yea, thinking it over a little bit, I can't think of another game that as good as Ninja Masters, but gets no hype. Maybe Kizuna, but it's not quite as good as NM, plus it gets lots of coverage due to the euro release controversy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Kizuna has some nice cutscenes (the one with the ravens utilizing the scrolling field of view is a classic) and TWO decent characters, and some sort of nice playfields, but the rest of the game isn't that great. I really can't stand a couple of the enemy characters, and the main boss is possibly even more cheesy and awful than Krauser's big red X. Sure, you might pay $100 more for a Japanese NM, but it's certainly worth it seeing how good the game is.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst
    First off, damn fine image there, really crisp and I bet it looks sweet printed. My only gripe would be that the character profiles and screenshots in the back are misaligned vertically and horizontally by a few pixels, something the naked eye probably doesn't even pick up looking at the actual print output.
    Well I only finished the insert yesterday, so I haven't been able to get to Kinko's and print out an insert on that bling bling glossy paper yet. I'm hoping it will look good, but the picture I used for the front art was a little pixelated. The image is approx. 4500 x 2700 pixels at 300dpi, so it's kinda tough to find images big enough. But when you open it as a pdf, it opens it in actual size, and it looks pretty good to me. Hopefully the actual printed out insert is the same.

Yea, I noticed everything wasn't lined up perfectly, but I was tired and wanted to get the insert done. Thanks for the feedback.

Next insert to make: Twinkle Star Sprites

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Wow, that looks excellent.

So...you own TSS? Damn you if you do!

You need to hook me up with a Neo Mr. DO! insert. Whoooohah!

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Damn, that's a nice insert Butta. I'll have to get photoshop just to try my hand at some at some point.

p.s. my fiancee, sitting right next to me, asked "Is Butta the one with the pic of the girl with large breasts?"

me: "Yes, but I'm complimenting him on the -insert-"

...I'm not sure she believes me.

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a US Twinle Star Sprites MVS cart, serial 000074.

With winter on the way in a couple months, I will most likely have more time to work on more inserts, so a Neo Mr. Do insert is a possibility.

edit: Thanks for the feedback AdamG, I apologize that King is not in the sig pic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

If I can suggest one thing, it's to print out the insert on your printer at home if you haven't done so already. Grayscale the image and brighten it to make it lighter and use less ink, just to make a mock-up to slip it in the shockbox sleeve and see how the spine on the insert matches up with the spine of the box. Saves alot of time and money before you actually get something printed at Kinkos.

I understand they tack on a five dollar sur-charge if you get their employees to print it out instead of setting it up on their rent-by-the-minute computers yourself.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst
    If I can suggest one thing, it's to print out the insert on your printer at home if you haven't done so already.
    The insert is 15.25" by 9.5", so I would have to print it on 11x17 paper, which my printer cannot do. But as long as you bring Kinko's a CDR with a PDF file on it, it's only about $3 per insert. They charge you some ridiculous amount if the pic is in any other format and they have to convert it themselves.

But I already viewed the insert side by side with another already made insert on my monitor, so everything should be lined up at least close to perfectly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

P.S. I love inserts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I also love inserts, and those cheesy CD-ROM sized plastic sleeves SNK put the manuals for a couple games in (SamSpirits 2 was one) and I especially like the poster thing that came with Samurai Spirits! :D The shiny gold surface is quite nice.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also love inserts, and those cheesy CD-ROM sized plastic sleeves SNK put the manuals for a couple games in (SamSpirits 2 was one) and I especially like the poster thing that came with Samurai Spirits! The shiny gold surface is quite nice.
    The SS4 I sold you has one of those, but I wouldn't call it cheesy. I have one I got recently for SS3, that has Kuroko on it. Sure it's not very big, but it's still badass.

I have some real nice Neo Geo mini posters. I gotta put those up and get some new room of doom pics up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buttasuperb
    The insert is 15.25" by 9.5", so I would have to print it on 11x17 paper, which my printer cannot do. But as long as you bring Kinko's a CDR with a PDF file on it, it's only about $3 per insert. They charge you some ridiculous amount if the pic is in any other format and they have to convert it themselves.

But I already viewed the insert side by side with another already made insert on my monitor, so everything should be lined up at least close to perfectly.
    You're right about that, which is why I only printed a partial 100% scale for the Genesis Sonic inserts I did a while back, just enough for the front side and the spine, a little of the back, to position and fold it in flush on the complete side for gauging. But hey, you have prior files to compare to, that works as well.

Ditto on the difficulty of finding hi-res art, I ended up having to buy decent Sonic and Knuckles / 3D Blast boxes because I couldn't find any good samaritans willing to scan their own for me. :P I imagine AES slips are harder to come by.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by buttasuperb
    The SS4 I sold you has one of those, but I wouldn't call it cheesy. I have one I got recently for SS3, that has Kuroko on it. Sure it's not very big, but it's still badass.
    Eh? Since when are things printed on the plastic sleeve? Anyhow, yes the mini posters are great. I wish I had more than just the original Samurai Spirits one; makes you wonder what's missing out of your purchase!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Eh? Since when are things printed on the plastic sleeve? Anyhow, yes the mini posters are great. I wish I had more than just the original Samurai Spirits one; makes you wonder what's missing out of your purchase!
    I must have misunderstood you originally. I was referring to the mini ad card that was included with the SS4.

The mini posters I have are different from the SS one I sold you, they are about 8 x 20.