Thread: XBox Hard Drive

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default XBox Hard Drive

I'm not sure where this post should be, so MODS feel free to move it if I'm in error. I'm not asking about emulators and such.

Has anyone modded their XBOX with a larger hard drive? Or has anyone purchased a pre modded box with a larger hard drive?

I was wondering if anyone here had good or bad experiences with it.

Dave
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Although I never done it myself I know a few people who have, besides who likes a 6gig HD. Never had a problem, you see the HD in the XBOX is like any you pick up at any electronic or computer store and from my understanding you don't even need to do anything other than plug it in

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll have to open mine up and look. I'm leary of doing that. Are you telling me it uses the same data and power cables as a PC hard drive?

Dave
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

STOP!!!!

Ok, I modded my XBox. XBox HD's are LOCKED. This means they have a security code built into their HD's. You cannot swap one HD from one XBOX to another. They are lock-mated to the motherboard. An off the shelf HD will not work with an unmodded Xbox either.

Diffrerent chips have different abilities. Some older ones do not allow another HD to be put in, but all current generation ones do. You need the right chip. Also, most chips require you to flash the BIOS on the chip yourself, and you have to obtain the BIOS yourself. This keeps the modchip company from violating the DMCA.

Then, you need to be very proficient with your PC, because once the Xbox is modded and set up, you need to log into your Xbox via your network, and then you need to determine the HD "key". Once you've got that, you can unlock it. Once it's unlocked, then you can add any HD you want.

Beleive it or not, I am vastly oversimplifying the procedure. It can take as long to set up the Xbox with it's alternate OS as it does to solder in a 29 point modchip.

And of course, modifying your system should be done only for educational purposes, and perhaps to allow you to emulate games you own, play media files and so on. Any other use violates the DMCA.

My Xbox is on my LAN. You don't need a larger HD, as I stream my mp3's and video files from my comps to my Xbox. Why have your mp3's in two places? Don't have or want a LAN? Well, without at least a temp LAN, you will not be able to set up an alternate HD.

Not for the faint of heart...

http://www.xbox-scene.com/tutorials.php
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is actually a lot involved.

Yes you can use a computer harddrive . Most people are putting in 120 gig.

But also you have to get all the info from the xbox drive to the new one. Now the problem with that is the xbox hard drive locks itself. So you can't just put it in a computer and copy it.

Some do a Hot-Swap whichinvolves hooking it up to a computer while it's on and powered by the xbox ( extremely dangerous )

The only other way is to mod-chip the xbox , put a new dashboard in and then put in the new drive and copy it.

Over-all it's not easy.