Thread: Who here bought a 3DO in it's first 6 months of existence?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Who here bought a 3DO in it's first 6 months of existence?

The reason that I put "the first 6 months" instead of launch day, is because I have to assume that there really weren't all that many people that got one on launch day, with it's incredible price tag.

Sure, I'm sure some of you guys did actually buy it on launch day, and I would love to hear your stories about that, but alot of us had to wait until we found a "Open Box" or "Demo Unit" 3DO at a Circuit City or someplace like that.

I can remember that I ended up getting a 3DO right around the time that John Madden Football first came out on the machine. First off, John Madden Football was the first game that made me feel like I really, really needed to have the system, and secondly I found an Open Box unit at a Good Guys store for like 200 hundred or more off the regular price. Also, this place Good Guys had a 60 day policy for returns on Open Box merchandise at the time. So if you weren't happy with your purchase in that 60 day period, you could return it and get your money back. Well, I actually returned mine on the 59th day, and I got a full refund. At the time, I was thinking that I would buy the 3DO again, once the price dropped some more. I actually had some games at home that I kept, anticipating buying the 3DO within the next several months after a price drop. Then like 2 weeks later, I think the price officially dropped to $399.99. So I ran back out and got a brand new unit.

I have to say that I think that the 3DO gets very little respect with regards to the history of videogaming, but I really think that the 3DO was a pretty amazing machine for it's time. After having played nothing but Genesis and Super Nintendo games, the 3DO was a gigantic leap forward in technology. You have to admit that the first time that you played Crash N Burn and Total Elcipse, you had to be thinking, "This is F'ing UNREAL".

It really was a huge, huge leap from the days of 16-bit games. Sure, the powers that be at 3DO had their business model twisted into a pretzel with the idea that they wouldn't use the old give away the razor to sell the blades technique. Also their lineup early on, had a huge number of multimedia type titles, that made it seem like the 3DO was afraid to be considered a "game machine". It took awhile for Trip and Company to actually "get it", and by that time it was too late. The price drops came to late, and weren't dramatic enough, and then the arrival of the Saturn and the Playstation was pretty much the beginning of the end for the original 3DO.

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree that it was a huge technical leap.
    I remember playing Need for Speed on a 35 inch TV and thinking " DAMN !! "
    I think I played it more than any other system for a long while.
    Wing Commander 3 totally ruled too. I don't care what anyone says, that was good use of FMV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I am not sure exactly how long i waited but I do
    know that I paid $500 for mine

I would guess this was 1 year after launch

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I bought mine on DAY ONE. I was working at EB doing some part-time side work during that holiday season and thought I was one of "the lucky ones". HA! I've still got my original receipt (and packaging). Remember? PACK RAT.

I've got every 3DO game now, boxed, though I need a few of the silly Putt-Putt and Fatty Bear titles to call my collection "complete". I also recently won a Sanyo TRY 3DO, usually very rare, for only $99 boxed (plus a ton of shipping), I'm really looking forward to adding that to my collection.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T

Actually, it dropped to $499.99 the next summer after launch.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How anyone could spend 500 bux on a launch system is mindboggling, but I do have to agree with the technology leap but I was way too into my nes for anything else. I still primarily played nes after psx came out. That's an amazing 3do Collection you got there joe, You are way hardcore hehe, I ran into about 40 mint 3do boxes was gonna ask you if you needed some before I e-bayed em, but apparently not! Congrats on the collection!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    Quote Originally Posted by T

Actually, it dropped to $499.99 the next summer after launch.
    Biggest price drop ever...1 cent !
    Oh eBay! you are such a pain, I am addicted to you like crack cocaine. You offer things I cannot find in stores,You are the pimp, and we are all your whores.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

you are mistaken.....

the 3DO was priced at $700 when it was released

I felt like i got a deal when it went down $200

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

There was no way in Hades i was going to spend that much money on a video game system back then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If I could go back in time i wouldn't either

I was so young and soooooooooooo stupid

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I believe that when the 3DO first came out, in late 1993, it retailed for $699.99. It was mostly sold at upscale electronics stores. Then around late spring or summer of 1994, the price dropped to $499.99. Then as it got towards XMAS of 1994, I think it was $399.99.

Of course, I could be wrong on all counts.

I have to say that I've always been the early adopter type. I've always been willing to way over pay for something, just to have it as soon as it is humanly possible. When the 3DO came out in the Fall of 1993, I still didn't grab one right away, not so much because it was $699.99, but because it didn't have any game available for it, that was a Real must have title. It wasn't until like March or April 1994, that Total Eclipse and John Madden Football came out. Those two games provided me with an incentive to spend an incredible amount of money.

I believe at the time, brand new 3DO's were $699.99, but I got an open boxed unit for 200 bucks off. Then I played with it for 59 days and returned it on the final day. The place that I bought it from had a 60 day return policy on open box stuff. It wasn't more than two weeks later, that the price of the brand new 3DO dropped to $499.99. Then I went back to that store, and the open box unit that I had, was still there. Except now, it was priced at $399.99. So I scooped it right up. It was a pretty damn good deal at that time to get a 3DO for $399.99. Even though it seems outrageously high in retrospect. I believe that I got my 3DO for $399.99 about 6 or 7 months before it officially dropped to that price.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    I've got every 3DO game now, boxed, though I need a few of the silly Putt-Putt and Fatty Bear titles to call my collection "complete".
    As long as you don't consider Putt-Putt Joins the Parade, designed by Ron "Monkey Island" Gilbert to be among those "silly" games, we're still cool. Otherwise, you really ought to just sit back and give it a spin sometime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    I bought mine on DAY ONE. I was working at EB doing some part-time side work during that holiday season and thought I was one of "the lucky ones". HA! I've still got my original receipt (and packaging). Remember? PACK RAT.

I've got every 3DO game now, boxed, though I need a few of the silly Putt-Putt and Fatty Bear titles to call my collection "complete". I also recently won a Sanyo TRY 3DO, usually very rare, for only $99 boxed (plus a ton of shipping), I'm really looking forward to adding that to my collection.
    you forgot to mention how bummed you were after you actually bought it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heh, I got my 3do for $399.99...its a Goldstar. Sure did have some great games, gotta love Road Rash!