Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ALARMING new NES 72 pin connector discovery

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, by putting the working ones into NES's, I was nearly doubling my money on the pin. Now, I'll do a bit better than break even. I have been holding on to the duds. I may place another order, sort the duds out of that order, add the duds from this order, and raise a stink.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Pretzel (Level 4) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Duncan1800
    PSN
    Duncan1800

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon
    Well, by putting the working ones into NES's, I was nearly doubling my money on the pin. Now, I'll do a bit better than break even. I have been holding on to the duds. I may place another order, sort the duds out of that order, add the duds from this order, and raise a stink.
    Do so. The stink part, I mean. You would think they'd have tested their product a little more thoroughly before calling it the "ultimate solution", wouldn't you?

Bombjoy's method sounds like the solution to my NES' problems; I'll try that first before attempting to replace anything (I really don't want to have to arm myself with a soldering gun if I can help it).

Threads like this are why I love this board...
    Active systems owned: Wii, X360, PS3
    Inactive systems owned: RCA, INTV2, NES, SMS, Genesis, Lynx, SNES, Saturn, PS1, GBC, DC, PS2, GBA, Xbox, GC, PSP, DS
    Systems wanted: Coleco, 7800, TG16, GG, 3DS, Vita, WiiU

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default a

I'd love to find out what MCM says about this if you try to return the duds....I bet they would replace them and 1 out of 4 of the replacements will be duds....making a second return necessary...maybe a thrid, etc. I heard they stopped selling them though....is this true (maybe it was the security bits...)?

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Pear (Level 6) Reverend JagDiesel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would definitely never claim to have done as much work on toaster NES's as many of you here. I can say that I had a 100% success rate fixing them for a local game shop (got $20 store credit per, using their parts).
    I found that about half the 72 pin connectors werent even bad (tight fit, nothing physically wrong).
    What I did find was that when you pull the unit apart, it is imperitive (sp?) to clean all of the connections. I used a pencil eraser, followed by alcohol on a q-tip.
    People have had these NES's in use for over a year with no complaints so I must've been doing something right.
    Hope that helps a little at least
    You can put a man on trial, but you can't make the guilty pay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had a 100% success rate before I got the NTF2 cart.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

No successes with me really with my new MCM connector also. Works for my friend though...
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been doing FABombjoy's method, and it is very good. get the right grit sandpaper, and take care not to tear the contacts. ZIF is VERY nice.

I am ordering a few gold ones, to see how they fare tested against the mighty NTF2.

I need to be able to 'sell' new pins to some of my customers.

I do business regularly with a company called Simple Jet, and they have a distributor in Edmonton (where I live) and they specialize in third party accessories and replacement parts for video game devices. The local wholesaler of the stuff here asked me for a couple of old NES connector pins. Apparently, one of their muckety mucks from Hong Kong was in town, and they are looking into sourcing manufacturing for replacement NES connectors. I met him, and filled the Hong Kong guy in on the issues I was having with the MCM connectors (i'm not sure he fully understood me... too much nodding =) ) We'll see what happens...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I had trouble getting my NES to work, I opened it up and bent the connection pins back into place. It worked much more reliably after I did this... but I bent them back a little TOO far, making it difficult to remove cartridges after they've been inserted into the unit.

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had a 100% success rate before I got the NTF2 cart.
    I'd stop using the ntf2 cart then and not worry about it..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good idea!

Who cares if the new 72 pin connectors don't connect with all 72 pins?! I warranty all of my work, and I can just tell the customers that if a cart doesn't work, it must be their cart since SMB/DH works!

People are stupid right? They'll trust me, I'm the repair guy, I'll just take that trust, and abuse the heck out of it!

j/k

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

It's an uphill struggle for certain. So many varities of game boards that use different pins.. varying thickness of the circuit boards themselves..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anotherfluke
    I'm sure you've probably done this, but have you checked the pins on the test cart to make sure it wasn't the problem? I've used MCM's pins in the past and they always seem to work fine, but then again I haven't tested them with a myriad of carts.
    I would agree with this statement. I've thrown practically every NES cart I have at my MCM connector, and have not had any sort of problem. Perhaps I've just been extremely lucky...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've always tested with a myriad of carts, and used to think that some carts (even though cleaned) must have somehow been dirty. The test cart works flawlessly.

I've been refurbing pins for a while now, with a %100 success rate with the NTF2 cart. What I mean is, the refurbed pin works or it does not (worked 5 out of 6 refurbs so far) . When the NTF2 passes the pin, it plays EVERY game I throw at it. If the NTF2 fails a pin, it's hit and miss.

Perhaps I've just been extremely lucky...
    I wouldn't say 'extremely'. the fail rate in my large batch worked out to about one in four. The odds are in favour of success. It's in large numbers of repairs that the fail rate becomes troublesome. Even in this thread it seems to bear out the one in four number. Most have had success, but of few have not. Sounds about right.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since you obviously buy a great deal of connectors from mcm, why don't you just swap out the ones that don't pass the testing and send them back to mcm as defective. Maybe when mcm starts getting back 25% of the connectors they sell, they'll start improving their quality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"If" I ever place another large order, I'll do exactly that. Being in canada, they screw me BLUE on the shipping, and then the duty is brutal too. The expense of sending them back may just cancel out the saving. I'll have to look into it first.

MCM does not go out of their way to do international business very well. I once ordered a gamebit security bit from them (early on), and they put it in a 10' by 6' box and charged me $20USD shipping, for a single gamebit. I find them 'difficult' to deal with with cross border stuff. The only Canadian supplier of these pins is... me.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Holy shit dude, you could fit a couple of arcade cabs in that box!

Anyway, I'm 0-2 with MCM connectors. One of them was bad enough that it didn't work with anything. I have a stack of NES consoles that need fixing, so I think I'll try the refurb method.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"If" I ever place another large order, I'll do exactly that. Being in canada, they screw me BLUE on the shipping, and then the duty is brutal too. The expense of sending them back may just cancel out the saving. I'll have to look into it first.

MCM does not go out of their way to do international business very well. I once ordered a gamebit security bit from them (early on), and they put it in a 10' by 6' box and charged me $20USD shipping, for a single gamebit. I find them 'difficult' to deal with with cross border stuff. The only Canadian supplier of these pins is... me.
    Yeh, even in the US, MCM has horrible shipping rates. I guess I figured they cut you a deal since you were purchasing so many. It's also annoying that they don't let you know how much shipping is in advance of the order. I didn't even find out that shipping was $7 for a $5 part until I got the package and seen what it was.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

omnedon:

I just got my own NTF2 test cart. I bought it from TRM, and it just came in the mail. the cart looks new... the pins are all nice and gold and look like they've never been used!

the label is white, and crispy!

so I fired it up, and it says it's revision 1.1 The menu has auto mode or individual tests. (joysticks, video, audio, RAM, etc).

But nowhere do I see "connector test". What revision is your cart?

I also opened it, and it looks like a regular PCB with both chips soldered right through at the factory. The only special thing is that each chip has a sticker on it, with its purpose printed on a white sticker. (PRG vs PROGRAM I believe).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mine has no connector test either. Mine is also ver. 1.1.

When I say it fails with a connector, I mean it blinks. New installed connector, but it blinks with the NTF2 cart. It may not blink with SMB, but it blinks with the NTF2. Then if it does blink with the NTF2, I've found through trial and error, it will fail with some other carts (known clean working ones) as well. If a connector does not blink with the NTF2 cart, it seems to work fine with cleaned (and even some dirty) carts, cart after cart tested.

I can't get any more consistency than that out of my testing. My best guess is that it's due to the random nature of which pins are failing to connect on the new connectors. My NTF2 cart has been disassembled and is utterly clean. I eliminated that possibility right off. The NTF2 cart seems to have contacts in every possible slot, unlike most game carts.

Congrats on getting yours, and your input is greatly appreciated! If I'm making a mistaken assumption, I would LOVE to be corrected!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So I shouldn't buy a replacement 72pin thing for my toaster nes?