Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ALARMING new NES 72 pin connector discovery

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by grimlock16
    So I shouldn't buy a replacement 72pin thing for my toaster nes?
    I would first evaluate the situation. If the pins are clean on the inside, try thepin-bending technique. If that doesn't work, try FABombJoy's aforementioned technique. Then (and this is important, too), post back here so people can know how it went.

Note that I'm assuming your NES doesn't work ever--the blinking screen syndrome, yeah, you know. If it works sometimes, it may be the carts themselves.

So personally, I wouldn't ever buy a replacement MCM pin set after hearing omnedon's testimonial; it seems the better choice would be to do what he's doing now, refurbishing pin sets from other NES's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd do them the other way around. First, sand & clean, then try pin bending. A good connector should have very little tension when inserting/removing cartridges, something the bending solution does not always provide. Just be thorough with the sanding and cleaning and you should see positive results.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey all, nice thread!

I am trying the "bend the pin" method but am unfortunately a newb and am having troubles. When I have the 72 pin connector in my hands, I cant figure out which pins to bend and which way to bend them.

Sorry for the newb question, but I really need help. Any sort of good pictures or diagrams to show which pins and which way they should be bent, or a very good explanation would be a life saver...

Thanks in advance

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OLD_SCHOOL_SAM
    Hey all, nice thread!

I am trying the "bend the pin" method but am unfortunately a newb and am having troubles. When I have the 72 pin connector in my hands, I cant figure out which pins to bend and which way to bend them.
    Well think of it this way: you are tring to bend the pins back to their original position, so once you have the pin connector out, then try inserting a cartridge, and notice which way the pins bend. You want to bend them in the opposite direction.
    It is pitch black. If you continue you are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just wanted to let everyone know that I got my new 72 pin connector in the mail yesterday. Works like a dream! Now I can play all my old games ~

Now the only question is, how long will my new connector last while I am continually putting these used dirty games into it =)

Is the cleaning wand the best way to clean the used games before they go into the console?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Glad to hear it.

I have had 2 returns, out of at least 40 installed "new' pins that worked at test/install.

I've had no returns since going back to refurbing the old pins.

What's a cleaning wand?

I clean carts with a Q-tip and a solution of 50/50 distilled water and isopropanol. Heavily soiled carts get disassembled, and I take a white eraser to the contacts, and follow up with the Q-tip run.

Have Fun!
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't speak for everyone, but I sure would be interested in knowing someone with a test cart who would be willing to order connectors and test them, before reselling them at a small profit... I'd buy tested connectors from a trusted source for a higher price. Hint.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chadtower
    I can't speak for everyone, but I sure would be interested in knowing someone with a test cart who would be willing to order connectors and test them, before reselling them at a small profit... I'd buy tested connectors from a trusted source for a higher price. Hint.
    same here..

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default d

I wonder what would happen if you tried that test cart on a famicom throgh a 72-60 pin adapter.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The margin is so low on them, that the time to test would make it prohibitive. Don't forget that I live in Canada, and I pay serious duty and ship when ordering them. I'd be lucky if I could resell for $10USD each, plus actual ship before I was done.

That said, on a related note, Canadian 3rd party supplier Simple Jet, has begun fabbing their very own 72 pin connectors. I am going to be doing their testing for them. If they pan out out be more reliable, any business in Canada will be able to buy from them wholesale, and within country.

If they pan out to be 100% reliable, I will offer them up for sale, as reasonably as I can. I think I mentioned earlier in this thread that I was helping them get started with this. The local sales rep told me yesterday that I would be getting a sample batch for testing 'soon'.

I'll keep everyone posted. I do see Ebay sellers selling Simple Jet stuff all the time (cables and the like), so it is possible for Americans to buy from this wholesaler too (but I'm not sure how). If their pins are good, this could be great. They are working from an original NES connector as their example. We'll soon see I guess.

*crosses fingers*
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the on I got from MCM works perfectly.

if a game doesnt work, I clean it, put it back in, and it boots up no problem

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

3 out of 4 work great.

Decent odds, but they suck if you are a reseller or installer. 25% loss rate... ouch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I must say that this sucks as I am just getting into this repair (I've got 4 consoles with pins waiting to be replaced). I've done one so far, and it works, but I shouldn't need a pair of pliers to pull the freaking cart out. I'm anxious to see how this new company fairs. I'd rather buy bulk from them as well as long as they are reasonable priced and WORK.

On a side note, one of my NES blinks a purple screen rather than the traditional grey. I've never seen this before...despite the difference in color, does it allude to the same problem?

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sisko
    On a side note, one of my NES blinks a purple screen rather than the traditional grey. I've never seen this before...despite the difference in color, does it allude to the same problem?
    To answer that question I've come across toaster decks that flash yellow when there isn't a proper contact. Probably minor revisions or variations on the hardware.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sisko
    I think this means your NES is gay...

Seriously, my NES blinks yellow all the time...and red, blue, green, grey, black, etc. I think it just depends on the pin and the position of the cart.
    My Spirit is Like the Sun and I Shall Dry You Like A Prune!!!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

I bought a new connector for my NES about 5 years ago (I assume it is from MCM but I dont know because I bought it on eBay). Lately it has been acting up as my NES was becoming finicky, so I used the sandpaper method that someone wrote about and I have to say that it works like a charm!!! Thanks!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know I'm bumping an oldie here, but it bears bumping.

Also, today I got a returned NES system. Last serviced by me, more than 13 months ago, with a new connector from MCM electronics. I serviced this unit for a local game store to sell.

Now it's back. It blinks.

It's getting a refurbed pin this time. I have virtually no returns on ones I've redone.

1 year of use out of an MCM connector suck-diddly-ucks Flanders.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't had tons of luck with the sanding method either... I mean, I can IMPROVE an NES, but I haven't been able to get one to 100% functionality yet. I've probably tried 4-5 of them at this point and they usually get to around 80% working before the improvement plateaus. Can you share some tips for the method?

Before it's asked, yes, I'm cleaning the carts too. I usually take the carts apart and clean the boards straight up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon
    I know I'm bumping an oldie here, but it bears bumping.

Also, today I got a returned NES system. Last serviced by me, more than 13 months ago, with a new connector from MCM electronics. I serviced this unit for a local game store to sell.

Now it's back. It blinks.

It's getting a refurbed pin this time. I have virtually no returns on ones I've redone.

1 year of use out of an MCM connector suck-diddly-ucks Flanders.
    Any word from the company that is producing new connectors? I've been waiting to buy several

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah. They just asked me if I could supply them with an original Nintendo made connector that does not blink. Short of getting one from Nintendo themselves, I said it was impossible. I gave them a couple original blinkers, and a couple of original refurbs.

They are likely in TaiPei by now. I'm getting tired of waiting. A game store has placed an order for me to do 10 NES's. Doing 10 NES's the refurb pin way is sooo time consuming, and tedious too.

I sand the pins a LOT. Then test with multiple carts (NTF2, Camerica, Tengen, and a kinda dirty original Nintendo). Then I usually sand again. Then I blow it out, and wash it in MG Chemicals contact cleaner. Blow it out again. test. If it fails - repeat.

Very. Time. Consuming.