Thread: Kings Quest Questions

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Kings Quest Questions

I just played through KQ5 for the hundredth time and realized I had not played any of the others. So I what is the difference between the cd and disk versions of these games? Do they have anything extra? Is the KQ collection thing really that rare or just really popular?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The CD version is "talkie," it has voice acting. The collection is somewhere in-between rare and popular (i.e. it is both rare and popular, but not obscenely so in either category).

I don't mean to promote piracy here, but if I didn't have the collection, I'd just download the games at this point. They haven't been commercially available in years, and I see nothing in the future that will change that.

Be forewarned, however, that you MAY not appreciate the first four, being that you started with 5. Keep in mind that they go back to, I believe, 1985.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Kings Quest Questions

Quote Originally Posted by kai123
    I just played through KQ5 for the hundredth time and realized I had not played any of the others. So I what is the difference between the cd and disk versions of these games? Do they have anything extra? Is the KQ collection thing really that rare or just really popular?
    I have the KQ Collection with manual. I had no idea unti recently that this was that popular/rare. I bought it at Eb for $29.99 nes around the time it came out. Awesome. I am having problems installing it on my P4 though
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

An indie software company has released freeware versions of KQ1 and KQ2 with updated graphics and speech. Check it out:

http://www.tierraentertainment.com/

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You beat me to the punch! Seriously, the tierra versions do have some differences, but if you started with 5 and want to play them all, I would play the tierra KQ1 and 2 before KQ3 and 4. KQ6 was pretty fun, and I bet you would like it. I recall some of the puzzles were quite challenging the first time through. My wife liked KQ7, but I didn't like the cartooniness. She also said it was hard. And mask of eterntity (KQ8), bleah! :P

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have (probably the only one) the Fm Towns Marty version of Kings Quest 5. It's actually a English AND Japanese talkie. You should hear how funny it sounds in Japanese (no offense)

Cool huh?

/CC

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

KQ1, 2, and 3 were the STUFF back in the Apple II days. That was back before I had I suppose a more well-developed sense of gameplay and was more willing to sit and plod through all those one-solution puzzles R.Williams put in her games. The best one was 3 where you got to go around and get all those spell ingredients and sneak around and such. KQIV was a lot of fun, too. I think I have most of the original floppy disks for all those and the CD version of KQ5, 6, and 7...and Mask of Eternity...hey I guess I don't need to get the KQ Collection.

MoE was really a poor attempt at making KQ more of an adventure game rather than the puzzle game it used to be. Now that it didn't take you five minutes to walk from one place to the other (because computers weren't 5MHz any more) it's like Roberta Williams didn't know what to do to make the games last
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wow, those Tierra games are great!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always loved this series, and started off with Kings Quest IV because my grandpa had it. I literally played it for hours and hours, and I finally use a book to help beat it, but I still don't think I did.

I then bought I, II and III for my own computer after finding them for about $2.00 apiece. I think that I beat I and II. One of my favorite series of all time...

Except V actually. I had it for the NES and was so excited, sat down and played it for a few hours and couldn't figure out what to do. I'm sure it was just one thing I was missing, but this was back a while ago, and there was no place I could go to get a walkthrough for it. For those of you that have played V, is the NES version decent? If so, I'm going to have to pull it back out.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Having played KQ5 on a NES emulator, I have to say it pales in comparison to even the EGA dos version. Try getting the dos VGA version wish speech and you will probably enjoy it more. IMHO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

The thing that really annoyed me about KQV is that it really started to take a "care-bear" turn IMO. Suddenly the puzzles were no longer all about finding items and using them in the right place, you had to help all these people all the time and then you'd get stuck and trapped and they would help you in return. It's like they tried to pull a Richard Garriott but to me it seemed like it just ended up being contrived.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I remember eating the pie or throwing it away or something, instead of throwing it in the monster face, I couldnt find another pie, so I quit.

KQ6 is my all time personal favorite KQ.
    #vbender

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if you're going to pirate anything, pirate Quest for Glory series. it's like king's quest, but much better stories and gameplay aside from maybe 5 and 6 which are gems. and you can also kill stuff too. oh yeah they're all great games too unlike KQ(just my opinion, I only liked 5 and 6) except maybe 3 is sort of bleh.

-thumbs up to abandonware!

-thumbs down to companies who threaten action against abandonware sites if they don't take down their games, but then offer no commercially and legally viable way to obtain said games. its their right, but they're really only screwing fans of their companies product.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I have the QFG collection, but that doesn't include 5: Dragonfire. Those were really good games. The best part was the fact that you could carry over your character from previous adventures.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yep I too bought that, it got scratched to hell eventually(I took very poor care of all my cd's at that time) hence I turned to the abandonware. never played dragonfire, didn't really look or seem like anything that would compare to the previous games though....

oh yeah btw kids no piracy, piracy = BAD etc etc..