Thread: Help with Pioneer Laseractive?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Help with Pioneer Laseractive?

Hey y'all!

My friend got a Pioneer Laseractive off ebay, but it doesn't appear to be working. If you've got any ideas, it'd be greatly appreciated. Anyway, here's his description of the problem:

"Well anyways, after it arrived in the mail, I immediately hooked it up and tested it out. After a few hours though, I think something must have shorted out. The machine doesn't fully come on when I turn the power on. Only the eject buttons light up and sometimes the cd/ld tray will pop out. But the menu will not come up on screen and I can't get anything else to work. The seller hasn't responded to my emails, so I've given up on that. After this sad turn of events, I have left it sitting in the box it came in, but since my college is out for fall break all this week, I have decided to spend the week trying to get this thing fixed. I have already checked a local repair place and they told me to try Best Buy. I dunno, but I'll call them up anyway. I'm afraid of how much I'm going to have to pay for this, but I'm extremely willing to get it working again. Wish me luck everybody!"

If you want to help, but need more specific info, just tell me, and I'll try to get it from him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This probably won't be much help, but here is a link for the service manual that someone scanned onto the web. These are pretty hard to come by, and any tech will need this.

http://cyberroach.com/new_laseractiv...vicemanual.htm

My first laseractive was destroyed during shipping too (or so they claim), and unfortunately, it was unrepairable. The entire mechanism was in pieces and Pioneer simply doesn't make them any more.

Your problem doesn't sound too much like mine, but I would be wary of wasting a lot of money to send it out, only to find out nothing can be done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does it have an internal or external power supply? If it's external, you could try a suitable replacement.

I'm guessing it's internal though.

Best Buy? No way.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's definitely internal, and judging by page 25 of the manual, it's a switching type. I've experienced 2 Pioneer LD players that had switchers go out for no reason whatsoever, but every player I've seen with a conventional supply just keeps truckin' along. Toubleshooting is probably limited to component level repair, as Pioneer generally doesn't stock replacement boards (according to a repairman friend of mine).

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks very much for your time and info, guys. I'll pass this onto my friend.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Wonder_Hamster's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bump from the dead. I am the friend that Eric Dude was talking about, and my update is this: I have not done a damn thing with my CLD-A100.

BUT, last week I found a CLD-S250. Does anyone know if it can be gutted to help my CLD-A100 out? I will sacrifice it if need be
    In need of repair: Atari 5200, Colecovision, Pioneer Laseractive CLD-A100
    http://users.ign.com/collection/HamsterX