Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review: Sega Ages 2500 Volume 5: Golden Axe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Review: Sega Ages 2500 Volume 5: Golden Axe

Four years after 1985's Gauntlet stormed arcades, Sega introduced their own "Dungeons and Dragons" themed game. Golden Axe, a simple side-scrolling fighting game, became an instant classic with kids everywhere. 14 years after the original was released, incarnations of Golden Axe are still finding their way to home systems -- this time it's to the PS2, in the form of one of the new Sega Ages 2500 releases.

For those not in the know, Sega Ages 2500 are a series of classic games being remade by Sega. Currently the Sega Ages 2500 series of games (including Phantasy Star and Space Harrier) are available only in Japan, meaning you'll have to own either a Japanese or modified Playstation 2 to enjoy this series. While Sega's reworking of Golden Axe features all new graphics and sound, the gameplay is undeniably the same.

As with the original, players can choose one of three characters, dubbed by me as "guy with sword wearing blue", "chick with sword wearing red", and "dwarf with axe wearing green". Like Gauntlet, each character has slightly different strengths and weaknesses, but all basically act the same.

Controls are a throwback to the original as well, with one convenient new addition. The original game offered three buttons to players: attack, jump, and magic. Additionally, players could perform a "jump and attack" by hitting jump then attack, as well as a "shoulder smash" by double tapping the joystick in a direction. Like Double Dragon, there was also a "rear attack", accomplished by hitting both buttons at the exact same time. In the arcade, this was pretty effective, but it's never translated well to home gamepads. While playing the original Golden Axe on the Dreamcast (in Sega Smash Pack), it never failed -- while waiting for a baddie to come up behind me, I would prepare to press both buttons, and then WHAMMO! My character would jump facing the wrong direction and begin attacking air, as some evil-doer wasted no time in questioning my somewhat odd behavior while simultaneously attacking me in the back. Sega Ages 2500's Golden Axe fixes this age old problem by assigning another button to the "rear attack". Mo' buttons, less problems.

As previously stated, gameplay is identical to the original. Those of you who have played Golden Axe before (um, everybody?) will be able to jump right in and begin button mashing. Even when trying to be verbose, it's tough to come up with more than a sentence or two to describe gameplay. "Keep moving to the right, and, uh, kill everybody." My seven-year-old nephew gaming buddy understood them just fine, as we hacked and slashed our way through several levels.

The biggest difference between this version and the original are the graphics. In a world where 2D games just don't seem to sell any longer, the sprites in Sega Ages 2500 version of Golden Axe have received a facelift. Not a big one, mind you -- each of the old characters are still recognizable, but everybody looks "thicker". It's not as blatant as when Homer Simpson turned 3D; while the characters may now look three dimensional, you're still playing in a 2D world.

Sega Ages 2500: Golden Axe has brought a game from the 80's into the 21st century by updating the graphics engine but leaving the gameplay alone. I don't know how well younger gamers will take to this game, but then again, I don't think it was made for them either. Kids who have grown up on Quake and the like will probably find this new version of Golden Axe boring and repeditive. Those of us who grew up pumping quarters into the original arcade machine as well as spending hours playing Golden Axe on Sega consoles will appreciate the bone Sega is throwing to us old timers. Sega Ages 2500 Volume V: Golden Axe is a great way to kill a rainy Saturday without having to sweat (or think) too hard.

Graphics: 6/10
    Nothing offensive, nothing groundbreaking.

Sound: 6/10
    Enjoyable but not memorable.

Gameplay: 6/10
    Addictive for old-timers, probably too simple for more advanced gamers.

Overall Rating: 6/10
    A fun romp through yesteryear with updated graphics. Not too deep, easy to pick up and begin playing. Lacks long-term committment.

Flack

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Review: Sega Ages 2500 Volume 5: Golden Axe

Updated? Sweet! I'll have to get these games sometime for sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I'm still trying to think of a way to do PS2 screen captures ...

Edit: Just figured it out. Off to Radio Shack for more wires! (Evil laugh here).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Nice review! You may want to mail it off to Joe (instructions here: http://www.digitpress.com/reviews/) for longevity, that way it doesn't get pushed to obscurity beneath dozens of posts here in the VG forum! I may have to pick this up once I get another ps2 and figure out how to play imports on it (which I may have to resort to if SNK can't get MS3 released here).[/url]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    Edit: Just figured it out. Off to Radio Shack for more wires! (Evil laugh here).
    Hey, let us know what you've got in mind for the screen caps, thanks :)

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Nice job, Flack.

Please do e-mail me at digitalpress@email.com when you get a moment, I want to make sure you're properly credited.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Does anybody know exactly what games are on the release list? So far I see those on the site, plus the following titles which don't translate to well:

"* Iron fist of bear knuckle anger * V.R.? バーチャレーシング? * Gain gland & rust Bronx & bonanza brothers * ファンタシースター II? When returning, the end comparatively? * Miracle world of alec skid * ファンタシースター? In end of thousand year period? * タントアール
    So I see...

Virtua Racer?
    Streets of Rage?
    Something?
    Alex Kid (hah, it translated as "alec skid") in Miracle World
    Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium (???)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

One other thing...does anybody know a good place to buy these games? Gamechoice.com.hk is selling them for $31 while 2500 yen = $22; essentially you'll pay for three games when you buy two.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    One other thing...does anybody know a good place to buy these games? Gamechoice.com.hk is selling them for $31 while 2500 yen = $22; essentially you'll pay for three games when you buy two.
    NCS has them too, $29 each (and much more reasonable shipping):

http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop...spec=sega+ages

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Kick ass. It's about time I cut my ties with Gamechoice (though I still need to get my $661.97 investment sent off!) anyhow.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If they bring these games to the US, I will buy a PS2. If they don't, I still might end up buying a PS2 just for these.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yes...those, the two Shinobi titles, and Konami's two titles Contra SS and CV: LoI will make me do it, easily.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sega deserves some praise for these classic revisions, but I really wish that they would put together a Golden Axe Collection, one including the The Revenge of Death Adder coin-op. Dora the centaur kicked much ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Flack

Nice cover, even though Gillus looks like some fretful grandfather wondering where his favorite pipe is. Still, it's an improvement on the Genesis version's box art.

http://www.vgmuseum.com/scans/scans2/goldenaxe.jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Fenris
    Nice cover, even though Gillus looks like some fretful grandfather wondering where his favorite pipe is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"* Iron fist of bear knuckle anger * V.R.? バーチャレーシング? * Gain gland & rust Bronx & bonanza brothers * ファンタシースター II? When returning, the end comparatively? * Miracle world of alec skid * ファンタシースター? In end of thousand year period? * タントアール
    Some titles I got out of there
    Bare Knuckle (Streets of Rage)
    Virtua Racing
    Gain Ground
    Last Bronx
    Alex Kidd

Would any of these Sega Ages be coming out in the US? I think for $20 they would sell pretty well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Incidentally you can find a couple of screenshots for the games here:

http://www.3d-ages.co.jp/lineup.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Does anybody know exactly what games are on the release list? So far I see those on the site, plus the following titles which don't translate to well:
    Sega AGES 2500 Vol. 1: Phantasy Star Generation: 1
    Sega AGES 2500 Vol. 2: Monaco GP
    Sega AGES 2500 Vol. 3: Fantasy Zone
    Sega AGES 2500 Vol. 4: Space Harrier
    Sega AGES 2500 Vol. 5: Golden Axe
    Sega AGES 2500 Vol. 6: Virtua Racing
    Sega AGES 2500 Vol. 7: Last Bronx
    Sega AGES 2500 Vol. 8: Phantasy Star 2
    Sega AGES 2500 Vol. 9: Phantasy Star 4: The End of Millennium

AFAIK the first five are out, the first three being released in September and 4 and 5 being released in October. I have 4 and 5.

Gain Ground, Bonanza Bros., Streets of Rage, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, and Tant-R are all proposed but not officially announced yet.

Flack

PS: Ed, I have a Snazzy Dazzle capture card in one of my machines. I think I'll just run the video out of the PS2 into the capture card and see if I can do some in-game screen shots that way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, volume 6 is Ichini no Tantoaru + Bonanza Bros. Aru and Volume 7 is Columns.

http://segadirect.jp/Catalog/CustomP...ages67_ps2.htm

On that note, I'd say Bonanza Bros. is more than officiall announced.... as is Gain Ground after you read below.

At the TGS, I played Gain Ground and Afterburner, both of which are nice, but aren't coming out until next year according to the Sega Booth. There was a Hokuto no Ken game, but I didn't try it out. I was hopign for at least a video of PSII and PS:ETM, but to no avail.
    FYI: Afterburner was only 20% complete, and Gain Ground was 60% complete.

The coolest thing at the booth (or even the show) was a original artist conceptions of the Phantasy Star characters (for the original release) complete with artists notes and whatnot. Obviously not for sale (or photograph).
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Are ANY of these planned for release in the US?

I heard that the remake of PS4 for the PSX is due for the States, the same way we got the Phantasy Star Collection on GBA.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great review Flack! Also could you tell how to screen capture ps2 screens?