Thread: SG-1000/SC-3000/Mark III/Master System/Telegames "DINA&

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

Default SG-1000/SC-3000/Mark III/Master System/Telegames "DINA&

I've searched, and searched and though I've found lots of FAQs giving me the facts and figures about each system, but I am wondering about an overall compatibilty chart.

Here's what I've got so far. Please correct me if I'm wrong or confused

The SG-1000/SC-3000 are "pre-Master System". The 1000 games can be played on the 3000. Can the 3000's be played on the 1000? Can both be played on the Telegames Personal Arcade? Is there a region lockout for any of their carts?

The Mark III is also "pre-Master System" but yet it *is* a Master System. It can play Master System games and vice versa. Can it play any of the SG 1000 or 3000 games? Since Sega also released a Master System later, what's the difference between the Mark III and the Master System?

Since all the systems are so closely related, is there a way to play all games pre-Master System on an SMS? If not, why?

Lastly... a good place to get SC-1000/3000 games would be.. (fill in blank). I'm considering picking up a Telegames PA to check out some of this stuff.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK, the Master system thing goes like this (Note* DP guide 7 lists this incorrectly, and DP guide 8 will have the corrected info)

1985 Japan - Mark III is released
    1986 USA - Master System is released (same hardware as mark III)
    1987 Japan - FM module is released for the Mark III, shortly after, an upgraded Mark III is released with the FM unit built in, as well as the 3D glasses adapter built in. This system is called the Master System (looks like a US system)

The Mark III is supposedly backwards compatible with the SG 1000/3000

In fact, The US Master System game F-16 Fighting Falcon is actually a game written for either the 1000 or 3000, the fact it runs on a SMS should be evidence enough that the SMS (with a cart adapter) is compatible with the early Sega games.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Mark III and Japanese Master System are indeed fully compatible with the SG1000 software. All the games I've ever tried in my Japanese Master System play, though there are pallete differences as has been commonly noted.

The internal hardware of the SG1000/SC3000 is also very similar to the Colecovision and MSX1. So much so that pirate SG1000/Mark III, Game Gear, and Genesis multicarts have turned up with MSX games on them. There was also another Japanese SG1000 clone called the Othello Multivision. Games specifically made for that system seem much rarer than Sega SG1000 games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

Quote Originally Posted by Li Wang
    The Mark III and Japanese Master System are indeed fully compatible with the SG1000 software. All the games I've ever tried in my Japanese Master System play, though there are pallete differences as has been commonly noted.
    So if I'm understanding this correctly, SG1000/SC3000 cartridges should play fine on a US Master System, minus some issues with palette differences. Sweet! Now I have other games to collect for my SMS

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You'd need to build an adapter, the carts aren't the same size, and don't have the same pinout as the US SMS.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

as for the SC-3000/SG-1000 compatibility question, all SC-3000 and SG-1000 carts will work on either system...a not though, the typing tutor for the SC-3000 wont be very helpful on the SG-1000. Also, the Mark III (i love my mark III) plays both SG-1000 and SG-3000 games. Another interesting point that I didn't find out until I actually got my Mark III is that it is incredibly tiny....one of the smallest consoles ever. I'd say its just as thick and wide as the 2600 jr, but a little longer...very swank
    one time collector of consoles...I've had them all, literally. I'm now selling everything to raise money for Northwest Harvest, a charity that provides food and clothing for families in need in the Northwestern United States.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Is Opcode's ColecoVision game module anything like an MSX adapter?

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default a

I can't remember the link, but I remember a compnay that for $27 sells a SMS/MarkII to Genesis converter. I don't believe the FM sound chip is enabled though....at least the sound wasn't any different when I played Phantasy Star on it (I own the Mark III and SMS versions of PS). I'll try to remember to post it tonight. If i forget, and someone really wants it, PM me, and I'll remember t post it then.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

Though it's compatible, it's not "pin" compatible. In other words, if I want to persue this, I should aim for a Telegames system that supports it?