Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever play Rygar for NES?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"we really have to beat the game now that we came this far"
    You're not a gamer unless youve said that once in your life...I pulled an all night with rampage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Rygar was -- hell, IS -- a cool game. The NES version was much better than the arcade; really just a preference of one style for another, I guess. A straight coin-op conversion would've just been lost under other fast action games like Contra, so giving Rygar adventure elements gave it new life.

The Lynx version was pretty good, but it's a lacks that crazy intensity of the arcade. Also, and it has to be said, the game is very repetitious.

I've never played the new PS2 version (I don't even own a TV set), but it looks terrific.
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

I quite like the PS2 game. It's extremely good - in fact, I'd go as far as to say it's one of the best PS2 games I've played.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never played it (but I finally have a copy in the mail right now). but I remember as a kid (I was probably like 10) and my neighbor (who was in college) said he just got this awsome game that I really needed to see. I watched him play the game start to finish in one sitting. He definitely didnt make it look tough, but it did take the entire day.

~Tj

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Here's reaching back for a REALLY old bump. I know I dig this game out every so often and I love it. However, every time I do, I keep trying to find different ways to beat it.

Just recently, I used the lapis -> floating castle warp and then leveled myself up enough in that room before the boss to be able to run in and obliterate him within 10 hits.

I'm also trying to figure out all the gaps I can cross without the use of the crossbow/pulley.

Who else has pulled this game out recently?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The last time I played this was in the late 90s. It was also the only time I ever paused a game and left it on overnight, I believe. I don't remember much about it anymore, but I managed to get to the flute (?) part, but I could not get past it. I remember it being a lot of fun up to that point.
    "Where my finger goes is none of your goddamn business." -Metropolisforever

"my house is burning down as I type this because of a Sega AC adapter" -Oobgarm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I remember almost beating it in when I was 17 or so but I couldn't figure out what to do at the end, so I turned it off out of frustration. I did however pull it out a few months ago and beat it within 2 hours or so, needless to say it wasn't as intimidating 6 years later.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I originally rented the game back in the day, and couldn't finish it. But I liked it so much that I rented it a week later and plowed through to the end. Started at 7pm and ended at 1am, on the dot. I was always impressed by the music and the graphics. But once I finally finished it, it was the ending that impressed me the most. Up until then, I hadn't seen a game with such a decent ending, just the occasional "Congraturation! You are winner!" type of thing. I felt like I had really accomplished something. I haven't played the game since the late '80s. I bought a copy at a flea market a couple of years ago, but I can't find a working NES to play it on, not even a clone console. Maybe it's just my bad luck with Nintendo hardware.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That game used to always kick my ass as a child. To this day I've never finished it, though I haven't played it in probably 5+ years or so. I'll have to get around to beating it eventually.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

this game is as great now as it was when i was a youngin. pop it in all the time. have my little route planned to the letter thanks to the handy dandy player guide of old. i like to power up in Drago's spot. there is a spot where you can spank germans one after the next going back and forth. .......... i gotta go play now
    http://club.ign.com/b/list/custom?&o...it&&lid=100018 wanna check my stuff out.......holla

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I will always love this game. It's pretty incredible for such an early release. It used to take me 4 or 5 hours to lay throguh the game. I whipped it out for the first time in a decade and flew through it in 2 hours. I couldn't believe it!

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

loved it. great mechanics, great music, great atmosphere.

loved the ps2 version too. one of the few ps2 games I actually bothered to play through

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Well, I already sung its praises in this very thread, but I think it deserve another round. I haven't played it in a while, but it stands out as one of the best action/adventure titles for the NES, as well as yet another example of trumping the arcade version. As a matter of fact... it's funny. The NES versions of the "Tecmo Three" that I mentioned earlier in this thread (Rygar, Ninja Gaiden, Tecmo Bowl) all got their starts in the arcade, and those game were okay. However, their NES renditions totally trumped the arcade originals! Am I the only one who finds that odd? It's like Tecmo was destined primarily for console greatness!

Anyhoo, Rygar rules, and I should give it another playthrough. In the meantime, guess I'll go do the obligatory plug for the article I wrote about it: http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/rygar/rygar.htm

... hmm... isn't there a remake for The Legendary Adventure slated to be released for the PSP? I should modify that if and when it's released.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sotenga View Post
    Well, I already sung its praises in this very thread, but I think it deserve another round. I haven't played it in a while, but it stands out as one of the best action/adventure titles for the NES, as well as yet another example of trumping the arcade version. As a matter of fact... it's funny. The NES versions of the "Tecmo Three" that I mentioned earlier in this thread (Rygar, Ninja Gaiden, Tecmo Bowl) all got their starts in the arcade, and those game were okay. However, their NES renditions totally trumped the arcade originals! Am I the only one who finds that odd? It's like Tecmo was destined primarily for console greatness!

Anyhoo, Rygar rules, and I should give it another playthrough. In the meantime, guess I'll go do the obligatory plug for the article I wrote about it: http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/rygar/rygar.htm

... hmm... isn't there a remake for The Legendary Adventure slated to be released for the PSP? I should modify that if and when it's released.
    You're thinking of the Wii. They're remaking it and calling it Rygar: The Battle of Argus and adding a new main character, as well as some other new content.

Strawberry (Level 2) FrakAttack's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Spawn Point + Autofire Button + Rubber Band = PWNage
    "Ambitious, but rubbish."

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

For some reason I bought Rygar when I first got the NES back then, but I don't remember why? Doubt it was the arcade version that swayed me. The game was definitely very hard, and extremely frustrating do to the controls for jumping. While the music was very well done, after a few minutes it gets very monotonous and depressing, and makes the game even harder to concentrate on. A few times I think I made it to the end and died and only the love for my NES console prevented me from throwing it out the window at that moment.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    For some reason I bought Rygar when I first got the NES back then, but I don't remember why? Doubt it was the arcade version that swayed me. The game was definitely very hard, and extremely frustrating do to the controls for jumping. While the music was very well done, after a few minutes it gets very monotonous and depressing, and makes the game even harder to concentrate on. A few times I think I made it to the end and died and only the love for my NES console prevented me from throwing it out the window at that moment.
    Yup, the pain of it was that all it took was one misstep trying to use the pulley in the floating castle and you were dead in a flash. Then it was good luck getting back all of your mind power and health in a reasonable amount of time without having to go back down again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Ah, Rygar! I finished you back in the day, but there's no way I would try to now outside of using save states with an emulator.

Rygar is the very definition of a flawed classic (no passwords or saving).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

On a related note, I've tried to play through the Atari Lynx version of Rygar, but every single time I attempted it my batteries went out close to the end. I never had a working AC adapter to use.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought the NES version of Rygar at a pawn shop about 13 years ago and still have it today! One time did I have enough meddle and patience to play the game completely through, though to my credit, I got no outside help to beat the game! I like the PS2 game as well, though I wish it had had the arcade Rygar as a bonus. Since it doesn't, though, thank goodness for Tecmo Classic Arcade! The collection isn't very good, granted, but at least it has the arcade version of Rygar!