Thread: castlevania

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default castlevania

oh, got your attention?

2 thingies:

1) i read on gamefaqs that the japanese version of Super Castlevania IV is not only uncensored (which i already knew) but also does NOT contain any slowdown. i just bought this game (us version) after not playing it for ohhhh 8 or 9 years. the slowdown is horrid. is it true that the japanese sc4 does not have this? if so, where can i get one?

i read that the sfc version maps memory using a different chip than the snes one...perhaps that is the cause for slowdown, i dunno (i read that http://www.classicgaming.com/castlevania/foreign.htm )

2) my nes castlevania freezes on old grim. it is 0 prg....i know there is a 1 prg...do those numbers dictate version numbers? if so is it possible they could've fixed this in version prg 1?

drool....
    http://akumajo.free.fr/castlevaniacollection.htm

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: castlevania

Quote Originally Posted by whoisKeel
    oh, got your attention?

2 thingies:

1) i read on gamefaqs that the japanese version of Super Castlevania IV is not only uncensored (which i already knew) but also does NOT contain any slowdown. i just bought this game (us version) after not playing it for ohhhh 8 or 9 years. the slowdown is horrid. is it true that the japanese sc4 does not have this? if so, where can i get one?

i read that the sfc version maps memory using a different chip than the snes one...perhaps that is the cause for slowdown, i dunno (i read that http://www.classicgaming.com/castlevania/foreign.htm )

2) my nes castlevania freezes on old grim. it is 0 prg....i know there is a 1 prg...do those numbers dictate version numbers? if so is it possible they could've fixed this in version prg 1?

drool....
    http://akumajo.free.fr/castlevaniacollection.htm
    Slowdowns? Are u sure.
    I have the euro version of Castlevania 4 and (as far as I remember) it has no slowdown.
    Gotta play it again to say for sure but I would remember when there are "horrid" slowdowns.
    mmhh...

..and the censorship in SC4 is kinda ridiculous cause they just changed 2 things (intro-cross on tombstone and "nude" statue)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Castlevania IV has tons of slowdown in the major mode 7 levels (like the rotating chamber in level 4). I think it is more of a hardware issue, but I couldn't tell you about whether or not it is in the Japanese version. I have played the Japanese version for a few levels, and I could see no difference, but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I could be wrong but I also doubt the SNES carts employed mapper chips. That was an NES thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst
    I could be wrong but I also doubt the SNES carts employed mapper chips. That was an NES thing.
    Yeah, as far as I know some of the later games simply had encryption (which would require a separate chip I believe) and graphical enhancers. A mapper only comes into play when you hit a limit as to the amount of memory you can address, which I doubt the SFC ever, EVER ran into or even approached.

As for Akumajo Dracula (Super Castlevania 4,) here's a sample of what changed, I made it a while back to answer somebody's claim the original had no blood:

http://home.comcast.net/~edoscuro/scv4jap_title_pan.png

Not much really.

I doubt the slowdown in Mode 7 levels is changed for the Japanese version, but I can't tell you with 100% certainty since my copy is sealed, and I've only been able to emulate it :/