Thread: Most Influential/Innovative Current Gan Console Games

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Most Influential/Innovative Current Gan Console Games

Just out of the xbox/PS2/GC games, what do you think the most influential and innovative games so far are? The game doesn't necessarily have to be GOOD, just good IDEA's Ones that may or may not stand the test of times....

For me, the ones that pop to mind quickest, are:

Dark Cloud series - Acutally having a significant impact on the RPG world you're playing in, #1 was good, #2 was brilliant, and I can only hope it gets better from there, and that other RPG games take note!

Blinx - I haven't played it, but from what I've seen, it's an OK game, with a GREAT concept.

Grand Theft Auto 3 - Hate it or love it, for better or for worse, it DID change gaming.

SSX - not earth-shattering, but this is the game that WOW'ed me on the PS2 release. good graphics, good speed, good tricks, good control, just a very well-balanced, great game. What was the last DECENT skiing/snowboarding game you played before this?
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

I would say Socom US Navy Seals for the voice recognition microphone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Grand Theft Auto....generated so many copycats you can't deny it's influence on the industry.

Max Payne....Sure, it's not the first extremely violent game, but it gave us bullet time, and made very good use of it.

Aggressive Inline....the first and only rollerblading game (and by "rollerblading" I'm not referring to those XTREME free-for-alls like 2xtreme and such). It's not really all that good in my opinion, but it stands on it's own.

Ikaruga....proof that what ain't broke don't need to be fixed, and also a milestone release amongst the more mainstream and user-friendly games of late.

Metroid Prime...perhaps the best 2D to 3D translation a game series has undergone. Not only is is an excellent game, but the transition actually improved some parts and gave some powerups even more interesting applications.

Xbox Live...not a game, but you can't deny the community it's built in such a short time. Microsoft has pretty much single-handedly (without the help of EA, unfortunately) brought broadband online console gaming to the masses. And the voice chat alleviates the constant whine of "chat fragger!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

I'd have to say Devil May Cry, Rygar: The Legendary Adventure, and Castlevania: Lament of Innocence. They stand as proof that hardcore action and adventure can be done right in 3-D.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd say Disgaea, Mark of the Kri, Fatal Frame, Knights of the Old Republic, and Animal Crossing. I'm too lazy to explain, but I think if you've played em, it's self evident
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Animal Crossing I'd definitely agree with.

Fatal frame, I was gonna say, but that game is too flawed for my liking, I haven't finished it because 2 ghosts attacked me in the fish tank room and I am completely UNABLE to beat them, no stone mirrors, little health kits, can't even kill ONE of them. friggin STUPID.

Devil may cry - I could never understand the liking of this game... maybe I bought it too long after it's release?

Ikaruga - Cookie cutter shooting game. YES, it's a GREAT shooting game, the best ever imo, and while the black/white was innovative, I suppose it COULD fit up here, but the rest of the game was so generic (not that it was generic standalone, but you can't really change/improve much on SHmups.)

Metroid Prime - Agree with ya on this one, 2-d to 3-d translation at it's best. Now if they could only do Kid Icarus, Ice Climbers, and the 30 other NES games that have been neglected....
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rez, Seaman, JGR if you're counting the DC in this generation, which you should.

Mr. Mosquito. Mad Maestro. Samba de Amigo. The Sims. Burnout. Of course GTA3. Animal Crossing. Pikmin. Magic Pengel.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I second Devil May Cry, if you needed a second. I think it was the first game to grade you on style (much like VJ), so that has to count for something.

Other games:
    Viewtiful Joe - amazingly original concept, does bullet time better than anyone else I can think of, startlingly original gameplay combination. The only decent "bet-em-up" on the market today.

Kingdom Hearts - Wins for combining the dark adult blend of recent square titles with disney characters. Plus it was a magnificent game.

Eternal Darkness - I believe this game evolved story telling as far as console games go. Had the best written and most developed story of any non-rpg I've ever played.