Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sega Master System Versus Nintendo Entertainment System.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Default Sega Master System Versus Nintendo Entertainment System.

Which did you think was, overall, better? I would say the NES.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

WRONG!!! Sega Master System anhilliates the NES.
    Unfortunately, the NES has more good games than the SMS has both good and bad games...in the US that is.
    In Europe, they got some GREAT games, in fact, there are about 200 more games available in Europe for the SMS than in the US.

Compare ANY cross platform games between the 2 systems, and the SMS version wins 90% of the time.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I totally, 100% agree with Raccoon Lad.
    The NES doesn't stand a change against the SMS.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd give NES points only because it had huge number of games (around 800 NES games in USA, over 2000 Famicom worldwide) but I prefer SMS over NES for better graphics, better sound, portability (via Game Gear and Master Gear) and the cool case that keeps the game and manual safe. NES didn't have anything beside dust sleeve, and dust sleeve is often too small to handle monster manuals like Final Fantasy or Dragon Warrior 4
    Another day, another dollar... wake me when it's payday.
    still playing games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The SMS was the more powerful system, hamstrung by the fact that the NES had many "exclusive" deals with developers. The SMS was left at the dance with hardly anyone left to dance with.

That is why the NES had so many more games. Momentum and deals.

In 1988, I had the SMS, and finding good games was tricky. My buds all with NES's were enjoying literally hundreds of rental choices at the corner store.

-sigh-
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Hard to say. If we're only going on US released games then the NES blows the SMS away, but if we're including all games then the SMS is the better system. Some of the things they did for the SMS in Brazil was absolutely amazing. Streetfighter II and Mortal Kombat 3 on the NES? I don't think so...

Tempest

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The nintendo had better games, and better controllers. Thus, it sold better as well.

I'm HOPING, that 10 years from now, everyone who is saying Sega hardware (SMS, genesis, saturn, DC) are better than the other, more apparent system leaders, will ALSO be saying that the X-box was the superior system.... Regardless of the fact the the "Superior systems" all got their asses kicked. The jaguar was a damn nice machine, but I wouldn't ever say it was superior to anything else out at the time OverAll....
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default i think...

the original poster was probably thinking about the u.s. nes, obviously. you can't just throw imported sms games into the mix while ignoring the import nintendo stuff at all... :shock:

(there's gonna be some fighting going on in this particular forum, lol...)

as far as u.s. stuff, i'd go with the nes for sheer variety, and the sms for technology. import systems, famicom (variety), sms (longevity). imagine if nintendo had kept the carts the same size (well, the one size that's smallest, as there are at least half a dozen cart shapes), and made a portable nes system... :wink:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default well

I have a list comparing the games on each console. Lets truely see...

http://www.planetnintendo.com/thewar...20vs%20nes.txt

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a link that hows for games that were on both systems the graphics difference and it is huge i try to find it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I think there's no arguement about the SMS being technologically superior, it would have to be seeing as it was released so much later. That really isn't the point. The point is, the NES had way better games, and thats why it blew away SMS's sales.

Granted a few games like Rampage or After Burner might have been better versions of the games, and granted Golden Axe and Phantasy Star are both very good, but what the hell are you on if you think SMS is better than NES? Sure SMS had good games, and sure a few cool pirate games came out in Brazil, but come on folks! Mario 1-3, Mega Man 1-6, Mike Tyson's Punchout, Metal Gear, Metroid, Tetris, Zelda 1 and 2, Ninja Gaiden 1-3, Final Fantasy, the Dragon Warrior's, Donkey Kong, Tecmo Bowl, and so on and so on and so on. Sure the SMS is prettier, but the NES's library wins no contest. I'm a Sega freak, but I can't be biased about it, NES is the better system to own.

This is like comparing PSX and Saturn, or PSX and DC, which would probably get the same response out of some of you. For some reason, collectors just love things that aren't mainstream. PSX has a much better library than either system, yet people are out there that will swear up and down that the Sega system's are better. I'll never understand this...

-Hitman-

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

but what the hell are you on if you think SMS is better than NES?
    Define "better".

I'm a Sega freak, but I can't be biased about it, NES is the better system to own.
    I'll accept that definition. Back in the day, I wished I had an NES. I wear it as a badge of honour now. I think the SMS was a technolgically superior machine, which was also manufactured better. Ever hear of SMS blink? Me neither. However, it all comes down to the games, and the NES, thru superior marketing and muscle, delivered a vastly better selection and choices to gamers.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The NES it DEFINITELY better!!!!!
    because I never played the SMS :lol: :rofl:

-=Mr. NEStalgia=-

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well by better, I mean if you could have one or the other, which would you chose? In 1990, or 2002, I think you'd have a lot more fun with an NES. Nuff said.

I agree that the SMS is technologically superior, but why is that even an arguement? That's like saying that X-box is technically superior to Dreamcast. No crap it is. The NES was released a lot earlier, so of course it's games will seem more dated. If you're judging by what system has the better games, which is really what it all comes down too, I think the NES wins by a longshot.

-Hitman-

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well as a person who had both systems during their heyday (i.e. when they were new) and who ACTIVELY bought games at full price for both (often at the same time), I gotta tell it like it is...

Quite honestly, I enjoyed/played the NES more. Now don't get me wrong, I loved my SMS and put in many hours with playing and completing all the usuals (Phantasy Star, Shinobi, Golvellius, R-Type, Y's .. you name it). But the NES software just seemed to be more "solid" and thus I played it more.

In retrospect, as I think about it, you know what bugged me about the SMS? It was the SOUND! The music and sound effects always seemed to sound really really cheesy!!!!! (Anyone else agree?). It was just an aspect of playing games on it that the sound seemed to be played from something like a baby's keyboard with it's "off" or 'soft' synthy sounds.

That being said, I often went out to the stores LOOKING for new SMS games, even when there were none and I had them all... so it obviously didn't turn me off too much with the SMS. Because it is a fact that the RPG element of the SMS was tops over the NES, w/ Y's, Phantasy Star, and Golvellius. The closest the NES ever came to that in the US was when Final Fantasy 1 came out. But it didn't have 3D dungeons like Phantasy Star I used to say.

But let's face it, the quality of the NES titles such as Megaman 2's sound and graphics were never matched by any SMS game and since it's all about the software (which the NES also has more of).... I like both, but the winner is NES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree, if it's about available quality games, the poor SMS got it's ass kicked. And when is it not about the games?

Since we're mainly collectors here, there simply is no excuse not to have both. Which is better for "collectible" value? The SMS's are far more "rare" than a NES, and stand a better possibilty of becoming very rare, as the years go by. (Vectrex anyone?) The SMS's are so obscure, they don't even fetch much $$$ on E-bay. I think many bidders don't know what they are.

If you want to have a representation of the consoles that represent the renaissance, after the big crash, you need an SMS and an NES. If you wanna play a lot of old 8 bit games, the NES was and is the one.

fast forward to 2002, and I have both! 8)

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SMS was better on paper, NES is better overall.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was an SMS owner in it's day. At the time I was an SMS snob and wanted to see Nintendo go down. Now I own both. I admit that the NES has a lot more quality games. No argument there. But, I think what the SMS has is more style. It's like comparing a Hummer to a Porche. There both amazing vehicles but you like each for it's own reasons.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One thing the NES had going for it was the fact that every tiny ioda of power it had was tapped to it's fullest by the programmers. With so many people programming for it and learning all it's tricks, the later NES games got REALLY polished. Had Nintendo not monopolised all the 3rd party publishers, the SMS could have had all it's tricks exploited too. Poor SEGA, they tried their hardest to publish enough software to keep it going. I'd like to see a comparison between how much first party software the 2 companies put out during 86-90, something tells me Sega had put out more.
    Anyway, if Sega actually had as many programmers pushing the system to it's max as Nintendo did, I believe the Master System could have put out some games that would have rivaled many 16-bit titles.

The sad fact is that Nintendo controlled the industry by such a huge margin that I was hardly aware of the SMS's existance untill I got a genesis and read on the back of the box "Power Base converter, now you can play over 80 sega master system games on your genesis. and more games means more power."
    I'm sure this thread will soon be flooded with people who ONLY have played the NES, saying sega is crud, but I ask those fools to try Wonder Boy 3, Phantasy Star, or Fantasy Zone 2...I think they might change their opinion.