Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sega Master System Versus Nintendo Entertainment System.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I say Sega Master rules because of it's 3-D Games.
    Thanks,
    Tim 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
    sphereman

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Where's Tyler these days? This thread is right up his alley, for goodness sakes!

As for me, cast another vote for NES.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the SMS v. NES situation is similar to today's X-box v. PS2 comparision. The SMS/X-box clearly have superior graphics, but they both lack games. The widest selection is on the NES/PS2.

Sometimes selling the best technology isn't enough to win the market.... just ask VCR-manufacturer BETA. :wink:
    TROY'S GAMING HISTORY
    1977- Atari 2600 (primitive)
    1985- Commodore=128 (8-bit)
    1989- Amiga 500 (16-bit)
    1991- zzzzzzzzzzz :scatter:
    2002- Playstation 2 (128-bit)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally, I've always been partial to the SMS. I never owned either system till well after they were dead. I currently own about 30 domestic NES titles, and about 20 domestic SMS titles (domestic being US). I find myself more often playing my SMS than my NES, even though I really like a few NES series (Dragon Warrior, Ninja Gaiden, Mega Man, Castlevania). But I LOVE Wonderboy, Alex Kidd, Phantasy Star, Miracle Warriors, and Y's

I'd have to say that for sheer content and variety, the NES wins, but I still like the SMS better. It didn't have as many games, but they're a bit more unique IMO.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

theaveng:

There was never a company called BETA, it was sony that invented BETA.

Rest:

3D games on SMS? There are some 3D games on NES that require you to wear 3D glasses to play the game (this feature can be turned off).

When it comes to technology, you'll always find competition in our democracy, and hence you have to try and focus on what you mean by the word "better". You always have one thing "better" than another in different aspects.

H/W specifications - SMS
    Marketing - NES
    World wide acceptence - NES
    cool looking system - SMS
    Protecting carts/manuals - SMS
    Comfertable size of carts (to put in your pocket) - SMS
    Number of games - NES
    Selection of games at rental stores - NES
    Number of companies supporting and developing - NES

So, you decide what's the most important thing for you above and decide!

LK

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Comfertable size of carts (to put in your pocket) - SMS I'm not even going to ask what's that for.

Oh and I vote for NES too. I have around 80 SMS games, and like it alot, but overall, the Nes still wins out. Theres just far more better games on the Nes.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would have to agree if u ware going to be talking over.
    I also think that saturn and Dreamcast are both better then Playstation, and think that PS2 is better then Xbox, but xbox is better the GameCube.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

From my experience: the SMS in the US stunk when it came to quality titles. There were some decent titles, but the NES had the exclusives and it was a serious money-maker. For a machine that was released after the NES, Sega should have followed Nintendo's examples:

Controller: every controller I played with for the SMS seemed extremely "floaty". It was too easy to pull off a wrong move at the wrong time. The solid cross-pad on the NES, while cutting into your thumb after a long period of play, was very accurate.

Pause button: why did they put it on the deck and then require some games to use it for inventory or some other function while in play? There should have been a pause button on the controller.

Then there were the games. For every Phantasy Star there was a Black Belt. The better titles for the system still didn't seem overly "polished" as compared to the competing NES games. Many of the games I played seemed to have been tossed together to get to market.

My 2 zenny on this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Hoo, boy, did I start something here...

I guess I should have been a bit more specific. I've always known that the SMS was technically superior to the NES, but I said "overall"- this means taking everything into account.

The 5200 is, I suppose, "superior" to the ColecoVision, but the ColecoVision was the better overall system- more games, a bigger variety (RPGs, strategy games, etc.), as well as the more practical considerations- it is easier to find replacement parts, most classic controllers (2600, 7800, Commodore, etc.) will work on a CV (to a point, at least), and the consoles and games are much easier to find- I now have nearly a dozen CVs, but I've only found one 5200- which I had to repair- several years ago (1997).

It's the same with the NES- It has more classic games that I like, a better variety (to me), and it is simply much easier to find games for it than the SMS. Both systems have RPGs, extensive, and the better cosmetics of the SMS ones (such as Phantasy Star) aren't important to me, so Wizardry is fine. I also prefer the arcade selection of the NES to that of the SMS.

But hey, what do I know- in 1988, I bought a 7800...which I wouldn't have done, if CV Joust had been completed and released when it was supposed to have been. It actually stands up nicely to the 7800 and NES versions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Wow, look what I missed.

It's something that has been disputed on the boards before, and I still say, given my top 10 favorite SMS games, I'd have a better time with them than I would my top 10 favorite NES games.

It's kinda strange coming from a kid who grew up with a Nintendo at the age of 3, but I just happen to enjoy sega games more, enough said.

I love the NES too, so many memories of staying up late playing Mega Man 2 or Castlevania 3. I just find something extremely special in the whole SMS story, and because of that I appreciate the games more. The SMS could have been pushed so far from 3rd party developers like Konami and Capcom had Nintendo not have owned the market the way they did. And for how hard Sega tried to push they're superior machine I give them kudos.

Nice to see my SMS VS. NES comparison link showing up, I think that's a great comparison though I should put a litle description into it.

Here's hoping I don't miss another discussion like this!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yep

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sega Hitman

This is like comparing PSX and Saturn, or PSX and DC, which would probably get the same response out of some of you. For some reason, collectors just love things that aren't mainstream. PSX has a much better library than either system, yet people are out there that will swear up and down that the Sega system's are better. I'll never understand this...

-Hitman-
    I really don't want to veer this off the main topic, but from what I've experienced, the same thing that makes the non-mainstream system non-mainstream, is what attracts some people: it offers something different. I know people who love Saturn above all else because its a shooter monster. Personally, I'll take the DC over the PS1 anyday for the 2D fighters and the shooters - - both non mainstream genres. In fact, now that I think about it my liking of a system is a KISS OF DEATH...the NGPC, DC, Turbo, all went bye bye quickly. In fact, the NES is the only mainstream system that I really, really enojyed and still come back to til this day. So saying that system X has a better library than system Y is all a matter of opinion. And yes the NES is better than the SMS!*

*obvious attempt to get back on topic
    http://www.2d-x.com
    The best 2D and 2.5D video games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Puh-leese. I don't think we should carry on with this annoying fanboyish discussion. In short, I like both. 'Nuff said.
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm new to SMS games, but I'm finding that I still like NES games more. Some of these games, like Zillion, remind me of playing that hideously bad Goonies arcade game. Yuk! Favorite right now is CHOPLIFTER. I can't get past the second level, but it's freakin' ADDICTIVE!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ApolloBoy
    Puh-leese. I don't think we should carry on with this annoying fanboyish discussion. In short, I like both. 'Nuff said.
    This coming from a person who has "Running Fanboy" in their avatar header. :P

It's always interesting to see people's perspectives on this even if it does get a bit heated.

As for the thought of "what if there wasn't a 3rd party lock in the US" I still think the SMS would have had a heckuva time. As I said before, the advertising wasn't all that great and (at least in my area) availability wasn't all that grand either. Every place, even the local discount stores (like Prange Way and Fleet Farm) sold Nintendo. All the rental places only had Nintendo. Even if it had access to 3rd parties (which probably would have gotten sweeter deals from Nintendo for exclusitivity) they still needed advertising to get the word out.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alot of the NES's advertising was FROM 3rd parties, so if Sega actually had any 3rd parties besides Parker Brothers and Seismic (activision doesn't count because the games they released were actually programmed by sega) in the US, you MIGHT have actually seen some decent Sega ad campaigns.

Nintendo's 3rd party lockout gave them all the money they needed to advertise, and Sega's poor decision to allow Tonka to distribute the SMS hindered their advertising as well.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I vote for NES, while I like the SMS too.
    It has been said before, the SMS controller is inferior to the NES one. By far!
    Also the music on NES is far better, just play both versions of Double Dragon.
    SMS has better graphics (colors) but I believe NES has a higher resolution.

While the SMS has far better game cases, the box art of the earlier game is terrible.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by NE146
    yep

Hmm...I wonder how many people who posted recent replies notice this is not the same NES vs SMS topic started a few days ago.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Chock another one for the NES

my reasons
    Better Games
    More Games
    sold more systems that any other console or Computer at that time.

Now here is something

If the NES, SMS, 7800 and INTV III were on the same page 3rd Party wise and meida coverage wise who would have won.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NES was better
    N1 Video Games

^ My gaming website

Systems I own:
    PS2, PSX, 3DO, SNES, NES, Genesis, 32X, Atari 2600, Saturn, VIC-20, C64, Odyssey 300, Pong Sports IV, N64, GBA, TRS-80 CoCo 2.