Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sega Master System Versus Nintendo Entertainment System.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like 'em both.

'Nuff said.
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TRM
    But let us look at the following:

Does the Sega Master System have the following:

-A keyboard with teaching software
    -Capabilities to have modem play
    -Capabilities for the internet
    -Pseudo 16 bit graphics

"Pseudo 16 bit graphics"? Would that be the same as "8 bit graphics"? The only thing I've ever heard of that was supposed to approach the "16 bit look" was some Color Dreams title with a coprocessor onboard. The story is that the chip made the game too expensive, and the NES was in it's waning days anyway, and the project was scrapped. I think most people can agree that SMS graphically outperformed NES.

As for "Does the Sega Master System have the following:

-Capabilities for the internet"

No, it doesn't have a keyboard with teaching software. And???
    The NES also didn't have 3D glasses (with 3D software), a trackball, or a cool looking lightgun that is black. SMS also didn't have the Power Pad! It wasn't powerful enough to handle it!

I didn't realize that a system's peripherals were an indication of it's power.

Concerning the modem and internet: Nothing was developed for the SMS, but if you look underneath te system, you'll see a covered port. The access was there, but Sega was probably amazed and overwhelmed by the tremendous success of Nintendo's modem and online banking network (ya-HOO!), and decided not to bother.

Finally, in reference to the next post, no one argues that the number of games is what made NES beat the SMS. It's the number of developers, and their exclusivity agreements to Nintendo. Look what happened in the next phase of the console wars--developers were unleashed, and Sega won (or tied, depending on who you talk to).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I love these entirely unresolvable arguements.
    Anyway, I'm right and anyone who disagrees with me is wrong. Simple.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FYI, the sms had an unreleased disc drive peripheral, and the PREDECESSOR to the SMS had an optional Keyboard and educational software.

Did the NES have an optional drawing tablet?

No, case closed, the NES is weaker than the Channel F.

Z!

I hate this thread, it just brings out the fan boi's.

More facts have been skewed in this thread by fan boys than by the entire Republican party.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelflack

-Pseudo 16 bit graphics

"Pseudo 16 bit graphics"? Would that be the same as "8 bit graphics"? The only thing I've ever heard of that was supposed to approach the "16 bit look" was some Color Dreams title with a coprocessor onboard. The story is that the chip made the game too expensive, and the NES was in it's waning days anyway, and the project was scrapped. I think most people can agree that SMS graphically outperformed NES.

The NES also didn't have 3D glasses (with 3D software), a trackball, or a cool looking lightgun that is black. SMS also didn't have the Power Pad! It wasn't powerful enough to handle it!

Concerning the modem and internet: Nothing was developed for the SMS, but if you look underneath te system, you'll see a covered port. The access was there, but Sega was probably amazed and overwhelmed by the tremendous success of Nintendo's modem and online banking network (ya-HOO!), and decided not to bother.

Finally, in reference to the next post, no one argues that the number of games is what made NES beat the SMS. It's the number of developers, and their exclusivity agreements to Nintendo. Look what happened in the next phase of the console wars--developers were unleashed, and Sega won (or tied, depending on who you talk to).
    In reference to the "Hellraiser" cartridge. 1991 was the waning year for the Nintendo? I don't think so...

In regards to the peripherals. Nintendo didn't have a black light gun, but they did have a western six-shooter.

Rad Racer had glasses for 3-D games

True, peripherals do not measure the total power of a system. However, they do show a system being pushed to the max.

I remember the TMNT demo for the NES, that some guy made, had a near perfect copy of the TMNT theme from the TV show..vocals and all, if I can recollect correctly.

I was not refering to their banking network. I was refering to Baton's Teleplay modem, which allowed cross-platform network gaming between NES, Sega Genesis, and Super Nintendo.

The graphics on the Sega Master System may look better then the graphics on some of the earlier Nintendo games...however, toward the end, things even out a bit. I may have to do a full comparison of Sega Master System, NES, and Atari 7800.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I said keyboard, I am refering to musical keyboard, not typing. I don't think Master System had Miracle piano, did it? I know SNES, NES, PC, and Genny did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raccoon Lad

More facts have been skewed in this thread by fan boys than by the entire Republican party.
    Can anyone say hypocrasy? x_x
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ApolloBoy

Can anyone say hypocrasy? x_x
    I can, and I can spell it correctly too.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

-Pseudo 16 bit graphics

In reference to the "Hellraiser" cartridge. 1991 was the waning year for the Nintendo? I don't think so...

In regards to the peripherals. Nintendo didn't have a black light gun, but they did have a western six-shooter.

True, peripherals do not measure the total power of a system. However, they do show a system being pushed to the max.

I remember the TMNT demo for the NES, that some guy made, had a near perfect copy of the TMNT theme from the TV show..vocals and all, if I can recollect correctly.

I was not refering to their banking network. I was refering to Baton's Teleplay modem, which allowed cross-platform network gaming between NES, Sega Genesis, and Super Nintendo.

The graphics on the Sega Master System may look better then the graphics on some of the earlier Nintendo games...however, toward the end, things even out a bit. I may have to do a full comparison of Sega Master System, NES, and Atari 7800.

This sort of thing is so much fun!

A. "In reference to the "Hellraiser" cartridge. 1991 was the waning year for the Nintendo? I don't think so..."

I didn't say 1991 was the waning year for NES, but that it was in it's waning days. In other words, it was nearing the end of it's life, as opposed to the beginning or middle. 1985-1993 is eight years (U.S. life). 1991 would be 3/4 of it's lifespan stateside, or 4/5 of it's total life. Waning days. SNES was right there waiting to happen, and there was no sense in adding expensive hardware to the cart in an attempt to create "16 bit graphics" when the real thing was right around the corner. This was the justification I remember hearing, like it or not. Of course, CD collapsed into Wisdom Tree and made the whole thing academic anyway. Religious idiots don't need fancy graphics or technology to impress them into purchases.

B. "In regards to the peripherals. Nintendo didn't have a black light gun, but they did have a western six-shooter."

I was being facetious here (among other places). Trying to illustrate how meaningless the Miracle keyboard is when debating which system is more powerful.

C. "Rad Racer had glasses for 3-D games "

Indeed! Worldrunner as well! Every once in awhile, you can count on Nintendo for state of the art technology.

BM. "I remember the TMNT demo for the NES, that some guy made, had a near perfect copy of the TMNT theme from the TV show..vocals and all, if I can recollect correctly."

I remember a game called Quadrun. Anyway, I have not heard or seen this, but sampled sound does not really impress me. Particularly so if this is a recent project, in the age where efficient compression routines have been developed. Not to be a killjoy or anything...

VX.- "I was not refering to their banking network. I was refering to Baton's Teleplay modem, which allowed cross-platform network gaming between NES, Sega Genesis, and Super Nintendo."

Oh, yes! TERRAN WARS!
    Nothing ever came of this, did it? The one game that was designed for it never came out (to my knowledge). Do you think that the exclusion of the SMS from the lineup was due to technical limitations? Or perhaps, just maybe, the SMS was simply not a viable platform anymore? I think I saw the Teleplay ads in EGM in 1993 or so. I don't think SMS was even in Visions at that point.

B-12.- " I may have to do a full comparison of Sega Master System, NES, and Atari 7800"

I hope you don't suffer a heart attack and seizure from surprise when you learn that you already established the order of superiority.

Fun fun FUN!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

FYI, the sms had an unreleased disc drive peripheral, and the PREDECESSOR to the SMS had an optional Keyboard and educational software.
    Aye, the SK-1100 (matches the SG-1000 ][ unit in style), and the SC-3000. I've bought one of each, incidentially :P

There's also a SG-1000 "base station" for all your programming needs.

These peripherals are great for a collector like me, but aren't - strictly speaking - meant for gaming.

On the whole, the other SMS peripherals strike me as being counterparts to the Nintendo stuff - but they didn't sell all the pretentious garbage (DDR mats without the rythmn or music? Hello Bandai!) Nintendo did. No NES Advantage counterpart either, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[quote="Ed Oscuro"]
    On the whole, the other SMS peripherals strike me as being counterparts to the Nintendo stuff - but they didn't sell all the pretentious garbage (DDR mats without the rythmn or music? Hello Bandai!) Nintendo did. No NES Advantage counterpart either, though.
    One thing that WAS better on the SMS was the Light Phaser and most of the games for it. Try convincing me that Duck Hunt's better than Safari Hunt...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry about the previous quote being screwed up...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

-Pseudo 16 bit graphics

This sort of thing is so much fun!

A. "In reference to the "Hellraiser" cartridge. 1991 was the waning year for the Nintendo? I don't think so..."

I didn't say 1991 was the waning year for NES, but that it was in it's waning days. In other words, it was nearing the end of it's life, as opposed to the beginning or middle. 1985-1993 is eight years (U.S. life). 1991 would be 3/4 of it's lifespan stateside, or 4/5 of it's total life. Waning days. SNES was right there waiting to happen, and there was no sense in adding expensive hardware to the cart in an attempt to create "16 bit graphics" when the real thing was right around the corner. This was the justification I remember hearing, like it or not. Of course, CD collapsed into Wisdom Tree and made the whole thing academic anyway. Religious idiots don't need fancy graphics or technology to impress them into purchases.

B. "In regards to the peripherals. Nintendo didn't have a black light gun, but they did have a western six-shooter."

I was being facetious here (among other places). Trying to illustrate how meaningless the Miracle keyboard is when debating which system is more powerful.

C. "Rad Racer had glasses for 3-D games "

Indeed! Worldrunner as well! Every once in awhile, you can count on Nintendo for state of the art technology.

BM. "I remember the TMNT demo for the NES, that some guy made, had a near perfect copy of the TMNT theme from the TV show..vocals and all, if I can recollect correctly."

I remember a game called Quadrun. Anyway, I have not heard or seen this, but sampled sound does not really impress me. Particularly so if this is a recent project, in the age where efficient compression routines have been developed. Not to be a killjoy or anything...

VX.- "I was not refering to their banking network. I was refering to Baton's Teleplay modem, which allowed cross-platform network gaming between NES, Sega Genesis, and Super Nintendo."

Oh, yes! TERRAN WARS!
    Nothing ever came of this, did it? The one game that was designed for it never came out (to my knowledge). Do you think that the exclusion of the SMS from the lineup was due to technical limitations? Or perhaps, just maybe, the SMS was simply not a viable platform anymore? I think I saw the Teleplay ads in EGM in 1993 or so. I don't think SMS was even in Visions at that point.

B-12.- " I may have to do a full comparison of Sega Master System, NES, and Atari 7800"

I hope you don't suffer a heart attack and seizure from surprise when you learn that you already established the order of superiority.

Fun fun FUN!
    Wow, wow, super wow. The NES's lifetime was until 1995. 1994 if you only count licensed releases.

Anyway, the Teleplay Modem had 3 games actually developed for it, and they were all much better then they looked in the magazine adverts.

Nah, the comparison rate will go like this: NES, SMS, A7800.

Super Nintendo pretty much kicked the Sega Genesis out of the water, too. I remember buying a SNES title, then buying the SG counterpart. I would always be so disapointed. See, Sega had this problem. They would create advanced technology, but when Nintendo would come to match it, the technology would look so dated that they(Sega) didn't have a chance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

...this discussion is gonna end in tears!!! i stay neutral!

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wow, wow, super wow. The NES's lifetime was until 1995. 1994 if you only count licensed releases.
    Wow, wow, super wow - there were European SMS games released until 1996 and it's still available in Brazil NOW!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anagrama
    Wow, wow, super wow - there were European SMS games released until 1996 and it's still available in Brazil NOW!
    hehe i love your enthusiasm mixed with sarcasm/piss taking!

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Super Nintendo pretty much kicked the Sega Genesis out of the water, too.
    That is an even more spurious arguement, and one for a different thread entirely.
    What exactly are you basing that on anyway? Worldwide sales? System lifetime? Obviously not, since you claim the SNES kicked the Genesis out of the water.

I remember buying a SNES title, then buying the SG counterpart. I would always be so disapointed.
    One word: FIFA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

And I will add one form this side of the pond..... Madden. Sports on the SNES were not even close to the Genny. Its like the players on the SNES were running in mud.

Waiting for the post that say sports games dont count because HARDCORE GAMERS dont play sports games they play RPG's!!!!!!!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm...I like them both. NES has many great games...but so does SMS. Although SMS is a better system and i give points to SEGA for making a better system than Nintendo at that time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From now on, could you people STOP QUOTING HUGE FREAKING POSTS!? Just TRIM them. There's no reason to keep every quoted message from the start. Just quote the most recent and delete the rest as you two are the only ones even fighting about it. The rest of us don't need to scroll down past your huge posts and the server could benefit from the space saved by not including the other stuff. PLEASE!