Thread: Intellivision 2 question (alternate PSUs)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Intellivision 2 question (alternate PSUs)

I wonder if anyone can verify whether or not the Intellivision 2 will operate when powered from a Jaguar power supply? The Inty asks for a 16 VAC supply (which I don't have...thanks to Badwill), so I've never bothered to fire it up and even see if it works. I thought of building a variac or something along those lines, but it didn't seem important enough for the trouble. However, I found a site that has a compilation of power supply compatibilities between consoles, and it claimed that the actual power requirements of the Int2 are such that you could just use a Jag adaptor (which is a 9V DC ~1000mA).

I have the adaptor, but the jack on the Int2 needs some surgery (the spring tab is fully sprung, making plug insertion currently impossible). If anyone knows if it's even worth bothering with, I'll just solder in a replacement jack. However, if a Jag adaptor won't actually power it, I won't bother and I'll continue to let the Int2 languish in the corner...where it belongs.

Anyone have the definitive word?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It will work with a Jaguar power supply according to the info here:

http://users.erols.com/tiltonj/games/tech/power.html

There is also a thread somewhere that explains that the inty II's power needs are actually quite generic (despite the power rating) if you care to look for it. Also, Omnedon says an inty II will work perfectly with a genesis 1 power supply, but I haven't tried this myself.
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, Wavelflack! Long time, no read.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dr.--That's actually the site I came upon originally, but it sounds like you've heard corroborating accounts of success. I'll give it a whack. Thanks!

Zaxxon: Yeah, I got burned out on the forum thing. Not a fault of this forum or community, but forum participation in general. I grew tired of the binary nature [ridiculously nerdy/ pointlessly hostile] of most internet forums. As a result, I simply stopped visiting any of them.

Maybe I'll try to get "back in the swing" here. Looks like you guys still have interesting topics in discussion.

BTW, did you ever get around to beating (off) Stellar Assault?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelflack
    BTW, did you ever get around to beating (off) Stellar Assault?
    No. I tried several times. I can get to the last stage with ease but I just don't know what to do on the last stage. I entered the final tunnel which leads to the underground chamber which I then shoot till it goes into self destruct mode. I go back into the tunnel to fly back to the surface and escape but IIRC I can't because the opening is now sealed. I tried shooting at the door but it won't blow. I then either crash into the sides of the tunnel when I run out of space or the core explodes and I die. In the "attract mode" of Shadow Squadron and I think SA too, they show your ship turning on it's shields and ramming right through other ships. This never worked for me when I tried it and it never said anytrhing about this in the manual.

BTW, did you ever get around to spooging on anyone with your meat sabre? Any new "enhanced" Archies comics?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Genny 1 AC does work. Genny 1 AC will also power the Jag. Makes sense, no?
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

this may be the thread you're thinking of-
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20231

my project to update the very list mentioned in this thread.

i'm looking at my own INTV 2 ps right now and to precise its output is
    16.2VAC 955MA

as i learned from FAbombjoy and clubninja theres more than numbers to the rating it works like this-
    16.2 times 955MA= 15.471 (the actual power needed)

so if the MA or A or amps is not right it can throw the whole thing off, suprisingly to me, its better to give to much juice than not enough, consoles can be damaged by straining with underpowered ps'.
    of course the INTV 2 is an AC and all of these are DC but it seems to be an ok swap.

heres the results with the various subs-

Atari Jaguar Rating 9VDC, 1.2A = 10.8

Atari 5200 Rating 4-port: 9.3VDC, 1.95A =17.55

2-port: 11.5VDC, 1.95A = 22.425

TG16 10.5VDC 730mA= 7.665

GEN 1 9VDC 1.2A= 10.8

***there is a good chance i'm missing one of the finer points of electronics here or even doing the math wrong but if not, a lot of those numbers are really underpowering the console, only the 5200 4 port is even close. well if its not further explored heres your failsafe test, plug it in and after some use feel the power brick, if its getting hot then its underpowered and you should stop using it.

see its posts like this that bring up the need for all of you to contribute to the power supply list...knowledge is power, now you're playing with power...uhh sorry couldnt resist.
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some power supplies (especially on older consoles) seem pretty overrated for the task. Sometimes it's probably because the manufacturer thought there would be a need for the extra power (Inty system changer, Genesis power base convertor). Or maybe they just got a good deal from the PS manufacturer (i.e. The Inty needs 16VAC@700mA but Mattel uses company A to make their power supplies and they're already tooled to produce 16VAC@955mA supplies). In these cases, you can probably get away with an underrated power supply (I use an 800mA in place of the 1A on my 7800).

That Inty is weird, tho. The 1610 CPU & RO-3-9600 RAM datasheets indicate that they need +12, +5, and -3V. If using a Genesis adapter works, then I guess it doesn't need -3 very badly, and 9V is apparently tolerable in place of 12. Maybe -3 and +12 are present in the event that other chips require those power levels (a cursory look a the schematic shows that only 12V appears a few times around the RF modulator). I give up.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Pretty sad...

that you think the Intellivision II belongs in the corner. I have it hooked up to my gaming TV as we speak. Along with a Sega Genesis, Atari 2600, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1 and 2, Xbox and Gamecube.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

just curious
    why bother having a playstation 1 hooked up if you have a PS2 hooked up?

i just got around to testing out my latest INTV2, this one came with the 2600 adpt. using some of that extra power. really funny how they have the ghostly scrolling "mattel presents M-network" over the atari 2600 games.

did the piano and keyboard add ons also use the consoles power or did they have their own ps?
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The computer/keybaord(ECS) had it's own PS, and the INTV II works fine for it too (if you have two that is). The music synth doesn't have it's own PS, but works off of the ECS power.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy
    That Inty is weird, tho. The 1610 CPU & RO-3-9600 RAM datasheets indicate that they need +12, +5, and -3V. If using a Genesis adapter works, then I guess it doesn't need -3 very badly, and 9V is apparently tolerable in place of 12. Maybe -3 and +12 are present in the event that other chips require those power levels (a cursory look a the schematic shows that only 12V appears a few times around the RF modulator). I give up.
    You can generate higher and lower voltages through a device known as a
    dc-to-dc converter. The small board in an intv2 basically has these and sends
    all the needed voltage levels down through the ribbon cable.

It's similar to an inverter that lets you power 120vac devices from your 12v
    car battery.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by john_soper
    The small board in an intv2 basically has these and sends all the needed voltage levels down through the ribbon cable.
    Heh... How about that. The schematics that I have completely omit that part. That would explain it all.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've seen a universal adapter at EB once that was for Jag, Sega MD, MD CD, NES, TG-16 ,maybe more. If someone made a universal PS for all these plus the classic systems(7800, CV!!) they could sell a bunch of them. Not only is having in all these different PS's on the floor by your TV and annoyance, it's a fire hazard.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always keep a bucket of water nearby in case the electrical stuff catches fire. It's also handy for grease fires in the kitchen.

BTW, if I remember correctly (going back to motherless Stellar Assault), you have to hit your "afterburners", in addition to using your shield, to punch through the energy shield coming back out of the tunnel. I'm pretty sure that's what I ended up doing (after exhausting all other possibilities/combinations). I think I remember it flashing some kind of warning or instructions on screen prior to that point, but it's in Japalese. Anyway, try that. There are quite a few stages left after that, as I recall. I remember something about going back to Earth.

Someone needs to translate text and instructions for cool games like Stellar Assault and Gungriffon 2, and fuck off with the obscure japanese RPG translations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I still have an ECS power supply (untested) that I wouldn't mind parting with, if you want to pay for shipping from Canada.