Thread: Arkanoid and Sorcerer's Maze clones?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Arkanoid and Sorcerer's Maze clones?

I just got Arkanoid for the NES this weekend at a thrift, and I can't stop playing it. It's funny because I also bought Sorcerer's Maze for PS1 thinking that it was a puzzle game of some sort, but it's just another rip-off of Arkanoid. It's one of those XS Games budget releases. NES Arkanoid actually plays better. I don't have the paddle controller yet, but I'm thinking of finding one now. Does anybody else here know of any other Arkanoid clones that I could try?

Also, anybody know the name of the original Japanese version of Sorcerer's Maze? With the crappy cover art and photoshopped title, I know this game was changed a la Mobile Light Force...
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On Arcade Smash Hits for the Sega Master System, there is Breakout. On the SNES there is Arkanoid Doh It Again.
    "You're just a poser wanna-be." - RaccoonLad describing yours truly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

I know of an obscure arcade Breakout-style game called Ghox. It was made by Toaplan, and you not only have to deal with bricks, but all sorts of ethereal enemies. I think you fight a boss every fifth stage or so.

Psikyo also made a Breakout-esque game known as Gunbarich... hmm, this is just a hunch but... I think Gunbarich just might be Sorcerer's Maze. You'll have to tell me a bit more about the game, but seeing as how XS Games altered the title and probably took a lot of fun things out of the game, I wouldn't count out this possibility. Tell me: are there two playable characters in Sorcerer's Maze?
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, the game has two characters, Prism and Rhythm, according to the instruction book. One of them is a cat. Orbs fall that affect the ball instead of the moving platform (like in Arkanoid). The ball can even become huge so that it takes out most of a row of blocks! You can also buy power-ups with MP points you earn.

The cover is horrible. I remember GameNow trashing this game's cover art last year, asking what the hell 2 kids would be doing hanging out with an old wizard. The girl and the wizard appear to be casting spelling while the kid is listening to his Walkman. The more I look at the illustration, the more it creeps me out...
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

There are a bjillion (in my universe, that's a real number ) Breakout/Arkanoid clones. The best way to get a list is to open up your MAME32 and in the folder list find the "Genre" folder and check out the category with that style of game.

On consoles they're stilll pretty popular but only in Japan it seems. I just picked up a Breakout style game for the PS2 which would be OK if it weren't so damn SLOW. And the PSX has scores of 'em. I can dig around my collection if you need some titles - I know one that I'm fond of on PSX is called "BLOCKIDS".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's worth getting hold of a Spectrm emulator just to play Batty - a game which was initially unreleased and given away on the front of Your Sinclair magazine. It proved popular enough for it to get a budget release later.

My favourite Arkanoid clone is actually on the PC.. it's only 80k and you can download a copy here (Original Website is here - I just zipped it to make it easier for people to extract)
    Top game

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't know you guys had previously done this topic as a poll, even though it doesn't include any games post-NES, but this helps.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/view...&highlight=nes