Thread: Settle a bet please! [how do you pronounce...]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WiseSalesman
    Correct pronunciation for

Herzog Zwei: it's german, so it would be "Hairtz-og Zv-eye"
    To be more specific, the 'z's should be pronounced as 'ts'; and "Zwei" is one word, one syllable 'tsvai' ('ai' pronounced like the word "eye").

Ico: In japan, it would be pronounced "EE-co". Here, I suppose you could decide for yourself, as, in English, the word would be pronounced "EYE-co".
    Ikari: EE-car-EE (at least in any Asian dialect). The word certainly seems. to be of Asian origin. If it were a US word, it would most likely be pronounced as "ICK-AR-EE".
    You beat me to it... Given that these are Japanese games, the 'I's should be pronounced 'ee'. Japanese is romanized more in tune with the phonetic alphabet than the English alphabet, so their 'ee' sound is transcribed as the 'i' letter.

Mine of Minos: I pronounce it "MEE-NOSE", but I'd say that's a matter of personal preference.
    Yeah, I assume the creators pronounced it as 'mainos' (again, 'ai' as "eye") to have the same vowel as "Mines" (can't remember the term -- with consonants it's alliteration), but I think "Minos" is Greek or Latin and should probably be pronounced 'minos' (again, 'i' as 'ee' sound) more properly.

note: I speak marginally fluent german, and a little Japanese. Three years of the former, one of the latter under my belt. You know, just as some "credentials" for where this info is coming from.
    Heh... I had two years of Japanese in college, and am in my second year of German now. Plus I took a linguistics course, where I learned about the phonetic alphabet and other nifty things, like the fact that 'ai' is a diphthong pronounced "eye". :-)
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I understand what you are saying regarding the german pronunciations, but I split the syllables, and left out the "ts" so as not to confuse monolinguals :wink: .

As far as the linguistics goes, I'd really like to take that class one of these days. I'm starting to find languages more and more fascinating. I'm good with pronunciations because I was once a vocal music major (I'm a minor now). We were required to learn diction and pronunciations for Asian dialects, German (Austrian), Italian, Latin, Spanish, and many more. I can pretty much nail most pronunciations these days. Of course, that doesn't mean I have any idea what the words mean....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WiseSalesman
    Yeah, I understand what you are saying regarding the german pronunciations, but I split the syllables, and left out the "ts" so as not to confuse monolinguals :wink: .
    I don't know, I think 'ts' is fair game, as many have heard of the tsetse fly...

As far as the linguistics goes, I'd really like to take that class one of these days. I'm starting to find languages more and more fascinating.
    If you've got an interest in languages, definitely take linguistics. It was a great class (may have helped that I had a great professor teaching it too).

I'm good with pronunciations because I was once a vocal music major (I'm a minor now). We were required to learn diction and pronunciations for Asian dialects, German (Austrian), Italian, Latin, Spanish, and many more. I can pretty much nail most pronunciations these days. Of course, that doesn't mean I have any idea what the words mean....
    Gotcha.

It's funny, I had a Chinese guy once tell me I pronounced his name better than any other American he'd heard. I'm not sure how that happened...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Ikari is a Japanese word that means "angry" or something like that. So yes, it's "EE-KAR-EE"

Ah, memories of when Street Fighter 2 first came out...everyone talking about "Rai-yew"...it's "REE-YOO" damn it! Monosyllabic!

And WHY is it that nearly every "non-video-game person" pronounces Pokemon as..."PO-KEE-MAN"????? Even though Pokemon invaded the nation, and little kids everywhere were constantly talking about it, it remained "Po-kee-man" to the hapless parents.

I still run into people who pronounce "Mario" as "Merry-oh"....I'm glad that Super Smash Bros. Melee has an announcer, otherwise the nation would be full of little kids discussing "Super Smash Bros. Mealy"

One more: Zangief. "Zane-geef", "Zane-gif", or "Zahn-gi-eff"?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't forget when I go to market I gets to look at some Intendo tapes next to those Pokee-Man cards - this is a common pronunciation (and phrase) where I am. Of course when I bought a 3DO system the other month, the guy told me it plays them Playstation games.
    Visit Allretrogames.com - www.allretrogames.com

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Zan-geef, right? I guess Zahn-geef would be more correct. I've never heard pronounced any of the ways you spelt it out.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I'm 99.9% sure Ico is pronounced "eeco"

I recall an article in EGM or OUSPSM that explained the 'eeco' pronunciation. I can't remember the month but it was in a previews section if I'm not mistaken.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ZAHN-GEEF <-----(Russian Style)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most people's pronunciation of ICO, that I've heard anyway, is I-C-O... three letters.

I've always said and heard "Echo" for that dolphin game,

and EVERYBODY I've ever heard say it has always pronounced it
    "Ih-car-ee"... for that joystick spinning title.

The others I really have no opinion or personal insights on.

But honestly, nothing gets to me more than when somebody you don't know gets all serious on ya when you butcher a game's name. Say how you want, and feel like a regular valedictorian while you're at it too.

And just for kicks... I think I'm gonna ask for Super Luigi Bros./Duck Punt next time I go to the game shop, and if they don't have it I'm gonna ask about Doubleinski Dragonapadapalous.
    Yeah, that's right... WORD!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

lol johnny- lemme check this- they actually SAY "(eye-see-oh)" for ICO? Hmmm...

Thanks for all the input folks- never thought it'd go THIS far...keep going if you must!
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Yashiro
    Ah, memories of when Street Fighter 2 first came out...everyone talking about "Rai-yew"...it's "REE-YOO" damn it! Monosyllabic!
    Careful now, you say it's monosyllabic, but spell it "ree-yoo", which looks like two syllables... :-)

That's a difficult sound for Americans/English speakers, but it can be done. Picture 'f' & 'y' together to get "few". Now picture 'p' & 'y' together to get "pew". Okay, now picture 'r' (actually, almost more like 'l') and 'y' together to get "Ryu".

One syllable.

Or course, if you think the "ry" consonant cluster is weird or difficult, try learning Russian... "Yes" (IIRC) in Russian is "gdye"; there's another word "mnye". Oy. As I understand it, Georgian gets even worse!

And WHY is it that nearly every "non-video-game person" pronounces Pokemon as..."PO-KEE-MAN"?????
    Yeah, why not just "poke (long 'o') mon"? It's 'po-ke (short 'e')-mahn (short 'a')'.

I still run into people who pronounce "Mario" as "Merry-oh"...
    Sweet Jesus, you've gotta be kidding...

One more: Zangief. "Zane-geef", "Zane-gif", or "Zahn-gi-eff"?
    I don't know my Russian pronunciation very well, but I'm pretty sure it's two syllables: 'zahn-geef'. It's possible that the 'i' is pronounced like/as 'y' so that the name is 'zahn-gyeef', but I don't think so. If there's a Germanic influence for the name, it's definitely 'geef' not 'gyeef', but...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Yes, correct, the Japanese pronunciation of "R" is close to "D" in some cases...with the tip of your tongue on the roof of your mouth.

Japan calls Zangief "Zahn-gi-eff" but I'm sure that's not the actual Russian way to pronounce it.

And no, I'm not kidding about the "Merry-oh" thing....*sigh*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

I've heard people pronouce it "Merry-Oh" as well. The really scarry thing is I've heard people say "Loo-Gi" for Luigi.

I've always wanted to know how you pronounce the arcade game "Zzyzzyxx". Here's a link to the KLOV page incase you have no idea what I'm talking about: http://www.klov.com/Z/Zzyzzyxx.htm

Tempestl

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest
    I've always wanted to know how you pronounce the arcade game "Zzyzzyxx".
    I'd guess "zizzix". Otherwise, just snore briefly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's another: from Tecmo's "Deception" series (#2)- is it

KAH-ge-ro
    KAH-je-ro
    ka-JE-ro
    or something else?
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RJ
    Here's another: from Tecmo's "Deception" series (#2)- is it

KAH-ge-ro
    KAH-je-ro
    ka-JE-ro
    or something else?
    The first, I believe, though it could be "kah-GE-ro" too...

BTW, I came across an older Game Pro that said Ico is definitely "ee-ko" and Zahngief is "zahn-jiev". Of course, they said something incorrect in the sentence before that, so take it with a grain of salt.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if this means anything at all, I was at the CES show in chicago the year it was released and the developers were prononcing it echo.

~Tj

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone know how to pronounce "Soukyugurentai"?

I would guess:

SOOK-YOO-GOO-RENT-EYE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Monkey
    Anyone know how to pronounce "Soukyugurentai"?
    Hmm, that looks Japanese. In that case, here's a pronunciation guide. A doubled vowel is merely a prolonged sound and does not alter pronunciation. Vowels are pronounced thusly:

A: ah
    I: ee
    U: oo
    E: halfway between a long "a" and short "e" sound
    O: oh

The sounds are all quite short in comparison to English vowels. That being said, it would sound something like this:

SOO-KYU-GU-RE-N-TA-I

Anyway, regarding other titles...

The name Ryu would be something like a cross between RYU, LYU, and DYU. Also, ?, which is the t group i sound, is sound pronounced as "chi." It's totally different sound than could be used for something like ??. That would be "jyo" rather than "dyo." Thus the r group covers for the d sound. I guess. ;-)

Mines of Minos is taken from Latin, I suspect. Minos is a Roman name. I think it's something like "mean-ohs," or possibly "mihn-ohs."

Yeah, Ikari is the Japanese word meaning anger. It's a noun, which leaves me puzzled as to why the title isn't something like "Ikarino Warriors." What was the full Japanese title of the game? All of this is moot for the NES version of course, which I pronounce "piece of shit." :-D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yes, Soukyugurentai is certainly a Japanese title. I forget exactly which title it is, but it's a Raizing shooter (sounded familiar!) released on the Saturn, at least.

I must've missed this thread before, and I realize that I pronounced a lot of these words much less faithfully than I thought. Good stuff though :)