Thread: Silver for the PC - Compatibility ?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Silver for the PC - Compatibility ?

I have this game for the Dreamcast, but Im thinking about getting the PC version. Can anyone tell me if is is compatible with Windows XP? And if it isnt, is there anything you can do to play it other than buying a computer with Win95/98 on it? Thanks.
    "You're just a poser wanna-be." - RaccoonLad describing yours truly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i've got the pc version, got win98se and 2k installed, so i can't test it, wait a sec i'll check the manual... mh damnit still have the games at my parents house, grmpf

if it doesn't run under winXP (though i do think it'll work, try the different compatibility modes) you still have the possibilty to install win98 and winXP, though you'd have to delete XP first as 98 needs to be installed before XP....
    -Jan

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hydr0x
    you still have the possibilty to install win98 and winXP, though you'd have to delete XP first as 98 needs to be installed before XP....
    That's interesting, thanks.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

A much better option would be to try it under XP with the 98 compatability mode turned on first...
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer
    A much better option would be to try it under XP with the 98 compatability mode turned on first...
    Definately, hydr0x wrote "(though i do think it'll work, try the different compatibility modes)" above. I dont even have Win98 so I couldnt do that. I didnt know you could have two operating systems loaded at the same time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

You *can,* but then you'd probably have to partition your hard drive into two separate drives (meaning two different drive letters) and set up a dual-boot...Win98 uses FAT16 / FAT32 partitions and WinXP likes to be set up on an NTFS drive, so you couldn't have the two OSes on the same drive, technically - so while he's right (you can have them both loaded on the same physical drive), he's also wrong (I don't think they can both be on the same drive letter). Since Win98 doesn't do NTFS I don't believe you could access any data that's stored on your WinXP partition, either...

It's a screwy mess and I wouldn't try it. I'd go out and get another cheap PC and hook it up before I did something like that.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You *can,* but then you'd probably have to partition your hard drive into two separate drives (meaning two different drive letters) and set up a dual-boot...Win98 uses FAT16 / FAT32 partitions and WinXP likes to be set up on an NTFS drive, so you couldn't have the two OSes on the same drive, technically - so while he's right (you can have them both loaded on the same physical drive), he's also wrong (I don't think they can both be on the same drive letter). Since Win98 doesn't do NTFS I don't believe you could access any data that's stored on your WinXP partition, either...

It's a screwy mess and I wouldn't try it. I'd go out and get another cheap PC and hook it up before I did something like that.
    sorry but it's not a mess at all, partition you drive (using fdisk if you've got nothing else) into at least 2 partitions (huge drives need more partitions, this speeds up the system a lot, i've got 12 partitions) Make one NTFS if you want, you could also make them all FAT32! Then install Win98(SE) on drive D: (FAT32), after that, install WinXP to drive C:, windows will realize that there is a old WIn98 installed and make a boot menu where you can choose which OS you want to start. It's in fact very easy, but i still wouldn't recommend it to a total newbie. One thing, ALWAYS back-up your files

btw: i've even got a third OS installed, Linux
    -Jan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Compared to a clean install with one OS - that is a mess.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, the only thing the compatibility mode thing does is tell the program its a different OS, not actually change how it runs. There are, certain .dll's you can modify and/or delete in the windows directory to make it run almost exactly like a Win9x machine. I am sure it wouldnt be too hard to find online.
    http://www.davidwhite.cjb.net
    CitizenWhite(at)hotmail(dot)com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually you can run 2 or even more OSes off the Same Partition I run a Dual Boot of 98 and 2000 both running off a 6 Gig FAT 32 Partition Yeah NTFS would be better for the 2k but this is fine for what I need. They interfere a little but not much, I only use 98 for a few programs that don't run under 2000.

You can have 2 installations of say Win 2000 one installed to Winnt and Winnt50 or Winnt and win2000

OR two installes of WinXP installed to say Windows and the other to WinXP.

OK this is TMI for the poor guy but I wanted to ad my two cents of info.
    If the game does nto work on XP and Running Compatability mode does not work. Either Wax and reload to a dual boot or get cheap PC at auction or Garage Sale.

Everybody is probably by now so I'll Shut up.

ServBot (Level 11) SpasticFuctard's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

If it's an old dos game(? I dunno, I've never heard of it) there's a VM you can run to do sound called VDMSound that I use to play all my old favorite Sierra and Lucasarts adevnture games on my XP box. It's pretty hit and miss tho.

SF

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Obviously I haven't played anywhere close to everything, but I have yet to try a windows game for Win95 or higher that I couldn't get going in XP. I'd say go for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

The XCom: UFO Defense collection for Win95 is one game that won't work under XP even under compatability mode...