Thread: Classic cart battery longevity

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Classic cart battery longevity

what's the lifespan of a battery in classic cartridges (specifically sega)? Many games have batteries for saving but how long do they last? Should I get sealed/barely used carts as (besides their condition) their batteries still save- Or DO they?

Months ago I got a Genny golf game used & it still had the owner's names & stats on it...from years ago!
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The CR2032 battery in the sega saturn will last for an average of 3 years, wether it's being used or not.

As for anything else, I dunno But a lot of NES games have started dying recently I think, so I would say 15 years or so on a cart battery.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Dead batteries

Actually I've finally started noticing some dead Genesis batteries now (rare but two in the past year). NES the most common deads for me are the Zeldas (I guess usage runs them down) Still 15 years is pretty amazing for battery life and most of the ones I test still work and save, load etc. Just make sure to ask (where possible) if there are any saved games before shelling out the big bucks for the battery RPGs. If shopping Funco save the receipt - the ones around here don't appear to ever test carts and near as I can tell never clean them
    Visit Allretrogames.com - www.allretrogames.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My NES Zelda's original battery died a few years ago. I just opened up the case and desoldered the battery. I was able to take the battery to Fred Meyers and have someone in the electronics department help me find a replacement, which I then soldered into the cartridge. Now it's all closed up with a new battery and can save games again.

You can usually change the battery out for a new one(you may need special bits for security screws).... I think next time I find a cartridge with a dead battery I might try soldering in a battery cassing in to slip the battery in instead because soldering batteries makes me nervous... either that or use a battery with wires already attatched to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In the spirit of capitalism, let me mention that I have experience changing batteries in games, and will do so for a small nominal fee. Check out the details at:

http://www.geocities.com/famitsutrader/services