Thread: the single ,most Overated game or game series

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default the single ,most Overated game or game series

It seems that there are constant debates over the greatest games and worst games, but what game or game series is overated by either the public or critics in your opinion, feel free to bash the games but keep it to the games themselves and try not to flame all the fellow gamers out here , thankx.
    My vote goes for the GTA series.
    Grand Theft auto will be the death of original gameplay and design, there are already dozens of copycats being made and released on multiple systems, prime examples: Tony Hawks underground and Need for Speed underground, it seems the GTA curse will be never ending.
    thats my two cents.
    LATER GAMERS!!!

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Final Fantasy VII

Alright, Sylent, where are you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I vote for GTA and Final Fantasy. They just won't die.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sonic. Besides his "attitude" I never could understand his appeal. Running really fast does nto make for engaging gameplay.

*edit: I also think that Resident Evil is WAY overrated. Survival Horror? How about clunky, slow paced action game.
    http://www.2d-x.com
    The best 2D and 2.5D video games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jaydubnb
    *edit: I also think that Resident Evil is WAY overrated. Survival Horror? How about clunky, slow paced action game.
    I agree with that 100%.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

even though I love the RE series, I do have to agree with Final Fantasy.
    FF8 and FFx were not up to standards, although I did enjoy ff9.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Final Fantasy is overrated. WAAAY overrated. There was like 3 or 4 good titles out of what, 10?

I won't count tactics simply because, well, they're tactics.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

I say Tomb Raider has been sucking since the second game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

-Resident Evil: tank-like controls, nonsensical puzzles and inane plots

-GTA: I just don't get the appeal that much, the best part to me was driving around and jumping shit.

-Final Fantasy: I hate RPGs and I hate people constantly making a fuss about these games and pushing them on me

-Madden: staple for the casual gamer. If I wanted to control sweaty 300 pound men making close intimate contact with each other.....well....I'd probably shoot myself.

I guess I just enjoy the sleeper hits a little more than most...

Also, Super Mario Sunshine sucked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FF1 and FF4 are great!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

I would also say Resident evil was Overrated. I also think Mega Man and Final Fantasy is too. I really never understood what people get out of RPGames x_x

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

RE and Tomb Raider. I swear if Tomb Raider had just starred some guy, and not Lara Croft, no one would have noticed it much.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One game I can't understand why they keep making is the "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" series.

Also, no more Tomb Raider games for any console or the PC please!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think GTA is the one of the best game series to appear in a long time. I've been enjoying them since the first one came out. It's all about total freedom to do what you want in a realistic city environment with plenty of vehicles, weapons, etc., and a bunch of missions, if you choose to do them. Yes it's inspired plenty of ripoffs, but so far none of them have been any good (except for that Simpsons Hit and Run game). And whenever there's a popular game with a somewhat original concept, almost always plenty of copycats follow.

Anyways, my vote goes to the Tony Hawk series. Why do people like those games?
    "Everything that you've ever done, are doing now, or will ever do is a complete waste of time unless it directly involves Randy 'Macho Man' Savage." - random Amazon.com review

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

I'll defend Final Fantasy and Romance of the Three Kingdoms to my last breath, evil gamers!

I'll agree with Resident Evil, though. And as much as I love Mega Man, I just have'nt liked the new GBA or GC games.....
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd go with the King of Fighters series. Year after year after year it's pretty much the same deal, a few different characters, a few slight gameplay changes. Don't get me wrong, most in the series are good games, just nowhere near as good as series such as Street Fighter, Samurai Shodown, Last Blade, and Darkstalkers.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Final Fantasy

I don't get why people are so bloody obsessed with FF .. I mean, there have been, what, 11 titles now? besides the tactics one for GBA? And from what I recall, people only really liked maybe 4 of those .. so why is everyone acting like they are OBLIGATED to put down $75 to pre-order a copy of the next game when they know the last ones were crappy, and OBLIGATED to act like it's great? I really just don't see the appeal of RPGs as a whole to tell you the truth, but the Final Fantasy series just gets on my nerves.

I remember when I first played FFX. After a bunch of cinematics it shifted to the first battle where I was using a sword to attack these things that looked like blobs of ice on the ground. Later from what I have seen, you fight more high-polycount enemies who stand there while you select a move .. then you do something while they stand still .. then they do something .. then you .. it's about as action-packed as chess. I will admit turn-based fighting is fun sometimes .. but it's rare.
    - Epicenter

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jaydubnb
    Sonic. Besides his "attitude" I never could understand his appeal. Running really fast does nto make for engaging gameplay.

Attitude was never really part of it, they just hyped that aspect to make it appeal to 'punk gamers' or some crap like that. That stupid rebellious personality trait that made you 'cool' to have back in the 90's. The speed was a good deal of it, but what keeps me playing the games is the level design, music, graphics, enemies, detailed and huge environments, and the kind of split-second thinking you need to do WHILE moving really, really fast.

Though I admit that the 3D games do NOT live up to the 2D counterparts, the same applies to the Mario series .. the games just need to get back to their roots. 2D. Even if it's 2D with 3D models, like Duke Nukem: manhatten project or Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil.

Well, that's enough ranting from me.
    - Epicenter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Quote Originally Posted by buttasuperb
    I'd go with the King of Fighters series. Year after year after year it's pretty much the same deal, a few different characters, a few slight gameplay changes. Don't get me wrong, most in the series are good games, just nowhere near as good as series such as Street Fighter, Samurai Shodown, Last Blade, and Darkstalkers.
    The King of Fighters is the Madden of 2D fighters. Good games, little change between 'em.

Chalk up another vote for Resident Evil.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Final Fantasy

Quote Originally Posted by Epicenter
    I don't get why people are so bloody obsessed with FF .. I mean, there have been, what, 11 titles now? besides the tactics one for GBA? And from what I recall, people only really liked maybe 4 of those .. so why is everyone acting like they are OBLIGATED to put down $75 to pre-order a copy of the next game when they know the last ones were crappy, and OBLIGATED to act like it's great? I really just don't see the appeal of RPGs as a whole to tell you the truth, but the Final Fantasy series just gets on my nerves.

I remember when I first played FFX. After a bunch of cinematics it shifted to the first battle where I was using a sword to attack these things that looked like blobs of ice on the ground. Later from what I have seen, you fight more high-polycount enemies who stand there while you select a move .. then you do something while they stand still .. then they do something .. then you .. it's about as action-packed as chess. I will admit turn-based fighting is fun sometimes .. but it's rare.
    You pay $75 for a new game? Where the hell do you shop?

Anyway, first of all, the whole "it only had four good games" thing had already been said, BUT it's also false. Games I have enjoyed from the final fantasy series: 1, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9. That's six right there, and I haven't had the opportunity to play 2, 3, or 10. So, out of the seven games in the series released in the US, I enjoyed six. I think that's a pretty good track record. Yes, I think FF7 was overrated but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it. The truth is, before FF7 came along and Square decided that storyline was unimportant and all that really mattered were pretty FMVs to hook in the casual gamer, these games were about as close as you could get to reading a book. The new ones aren't quite as good, but I still play them hoping for a semblance of that greatness, and every once in awhile there's something that makes it worth it to me.

Second of all, if you don't like turnbased fighting, it's not FF you have a problem with, it's pretty much the whole console RPG genre.