Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

A topic after my own heart...*ahem*

In addition to "Final" Fantasy, Sonic, Resident Evil, King Of Fighters (good call Butta), Mega Man, and franchised sports games...

Gran Turismo...yeah, it's pretty, but the actual racing is dull as dry toast. The AI gives no challenge, you can bumper car your way to winning with no penality, and once you learn how to tune your car and stay within the race's limits, winning is just a matter of staying awake long enough to finish the race. Plus, though I've never driven an exotic sports car, I've never known real automobiles to be quite as spinout prone as those of the GT series.

Tony Hawk...did this really need to become a yearly franchise? Maybe I don't play it enough to appreciate all the little things, but it seems to me like they have been milking this for all it's worth, with this year's instalment the first that doesn't just look like more of the same (and it seems like it's getting really mixed reviews anyway.) As much as I liked the first one, I could stick with that and be happy. I guess I just don't "get it".

Dead or Alive...button mashers of the world unite! If this game was a sasuage party, no one would give a damn and this series would have died the death it's boring gameplay deserves. However, put some...urr...eye candy in the game, and all of a sudden people are talking about this game like it requires skill. Come on! I'd much rather take my $50 down to "Foxy Boxing" night and see the real thing than waste my time with polygonal jumblies.

That's all I can think of to add right now. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong
    Dead or Alive...button mashers of the world unite! If this game was a sasuage party, no one would give a damn and this series would have died the death it's boring gameplay deserves. However, put some...urr...eye candy in the game, and all of a sudden people are talking about this game like it requires skill. Come on! I'd much rather take my $50 down to "Foxy Boxing" night and see the real thing than waste my time with polygonal jumblies.
    I did manage to get some fun out of DOA3...but I was playing against somebody as skillless as I :P Well stated.

Also second that including KoF was a good call. I'm surprised how ugly they got there around er 1999-2001 (roughly,) especially the backgrounds and...which was it that gave King lipstick in the in-fight portrait? Ergh, looks like somebody threw a red line on there. Awful. I can't say that the series has been known for its standard-setting backgrounds anyways, though...this series would be better if they took 2 years to make each installment, maybe that would give them some time to come up with some real ideas instead of just throwing out the same assembly-line garbage over and over. :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Quote Originally Posted by jerkov
    What is funny about the game though is that when everyone crowds around the game on the boardwalk down the shore, my friend and my brother will get on it, put some money in like they're serious, and then as soon as the game starts they just do these weird dances, not paying attention to the game or anything. My friend would do floorpunches and karate kicks and stuff like that. Funny to watch the reactions on people's faces. I wish we videotaped some of them.
    Yeh, people do that at my arcade occasionally. I'm guessing your brother and your friend are.....12? 13?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jerkov
    I agree that Dance Dance Revolution is exceedingly stupid, too. I forgot about that one. Blackjax is 100% right in everything he said.

No I haven't tried it, don't want to either. I don't think stepping on four arrows while shitty dance music plays is all that appealing.
    I don't understand this logic.

How fairly can you say something is overrated if you never even bothered to try?

If you haven't played it, then you don't know what you're talking about. Plain and simple.

Not just DDR, but any game.

I said the FF series was overrated, but I have also taken the time to at least try several of them out before saying something

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Definatly the Finsal Fantasy series. Its to much talking and what not. I hope it dies.

I like Animal Crossing and it's fun, but definatly overrated. Not much to do.

Why does everyone enjoy RPG's so much?!?!
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

I'll agree on KOF. It's a good game engine, but well, other then rosters and meter usage and a couple subsystems now and then, what does change? KOF is KOF. It's also a fanboys dream "becuz its has stories and moody heroes like in teh animes!!111" but in all honesty, I know I'm gonna end up playing it every year.

KOF 2k1 and 2k2 rocked
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Metroid.

I only played the NES version, and while I tried to like it, I just found it boring and repetative.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tony Hawk
    Franchised Sports Games
    Mario (they just need to get Mario 128 out, and then I'll think more of it...right now, Nintendo just keeps releasing port after port...)
    Street Fighter
    Mortal Kombat

That's about it.
    ProtoPages.net
    It's about the prototypes, baby!

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

The first series that came to my mind was FF. Though RE certainly fits, and unfortunately I'm starting to think the same with Super Mario.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Final Fantasy
    Tomb Raider
    Mega Man
    Mario
    Zelda
    Sonic
    Street Fighter
    Mortal Kombat
    Dance Dance Revolution

There have been some exceptions in regards to some games in these series, but for the most part they need to die IMO.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Uh, no, the most recent MK games have also been intensely terrible.
    While it's no Virtua Fighter 4, MK: Deadly Alliance is a pretty enjoyable game. I'll grant you that everything between MK2 and MKA isn't very special at all, though.

Also, with all the SNK fighter talk, I realized another game that I find to be overrated... Garou: Mark of the Wolves. Try as I might, I still see it as little more than an average SNK fighter with a pretty face. Give me Last Blade, Samurai Shodown, or (going against the grain) King of Fighters 95-99 anyday. Or SFIII: 3rd Strike.
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by Raccoon Lad
    Metroid.

I only played the NES version, and while I tried to like it, I just found it boring and repetative.
    Oh GOD YES. I love super metroid, and the game boy one, but the NES one needed a save feature bad. Having to spend 20 minutes after every return to your save game to recharge weapons and health was lame.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus
    I'll agree on KOF. It's a good game engine, but well, other then rosters and meter usage and a couple subsystems now and then, what does change? KOF is KOF. It's also a fanboys dream "becuz its has stories and moody heroes like in teh animes!!111" but in all honesty, I know I'm gonna end up playing it every year.
    Yeah...me too. Weird isn't it?

Oh yeah, I agree with Metroid. I never got this series. Always seemed too slow and plodding to me.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus
    Quote Originally Posted by Raccoon Lad
    Metroid.

Oh GOD YES. I love super metroid, and the game boy one, but the NES one needed a save feature bad. Having to spend 20 minutes after every return to your save game to recharge weapons and health was lame.
    I fall into that group as well. I am also of the belief that Metroid Prime is overblown.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Vagrant Story

Boo..er I Mean TOMB Raider

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Earthbound is way overrated in my book, even though the game/series has plenty of fans. I tried playing it and, even though I love RPGs, I just couldn't get into that one.

Same goes for Alex Kidd. People love this series and yet, I can't stand it.

On the other hand, I'm desperately hooked on Tony Hawk (although Underground doesn't appeal as much to me).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Alex Kidd needs to die.

And another series, this time on the PC--Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six was an inventive title at the time, but it seems that releasing games in the series is now more a process of "revving" it every year or releasing (non-free) bonus packages than actually releasing good games. SOAF, anybody? What the hell did that game have to do with the movie? The demo had me feeling that they were more interested in an excuse to throw some redneck types with hunting rifles out in a disused prison complex for you to kill (with token amounts of "saev teh w0rld!! theres a nuke in here soemwher!!" gameplay) than anything. Maybe they reversed this in the game, but it felt anything but cinematic.

I won't insult anybody's intelligence by saying that stuff like Splinter Cell is the future of Tom Clancy games. We could run into a scenario where they're just as derivative and as uninspired as the newest Rainbow Six And Friends title, and beyond those two types of game it's somewhat hard to imagine where this franchise can look. I don't think Tom Clancy Extreme PT Volleyball has much of a future...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Alex Kidd needs to die.
    It did die, a long time ago, remember? ;-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oh, yeah. It's just the horror of discovering Alex Kidd came...hmm, a few months ago, as opposed to...yeah.

Anyhow, about Sum of All Fears?

David Hodgson's review marks the GCN version worst game in at least 20 years, with an 18 percent score. The PC version was average/below average, with 65%. Of course I was right about the game not having anything to do with the movie: Ben Affleck and Gor, er Morgan Freeman appear on the box but don't show up in the game at all. $30 it was when new, but that's still horrible. Hope the next Rainbow Six type game actually is worth something (that's assuming I'm caring about them at this point, which I don't, really).

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wha? Surely you're not referring to Alex Kidd in Miracle World, or Shinobi World are you?
    Lost Stars and High tech world are mediocre at BEST, but the first and last SMS Alex Kidd's are quite good.